Author Topic: Which Waveform Generator to pair with Siglent 804  (Read 325 times)

Offline watchmakerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
Which Waveform Generator to pair with Siglent 804
« on: June 28, 2024, 07:44:33 pm »
I am considering buying an SDS 804 computer that happens to display waveforms.  From my reading it is apparent it (when upgraded) will be far beyond what I will learn in the next few years.  But it seems like a good time to sell the 1204.

I am a lifelong learner.  I have no specific goal in mind except to better understand EE and how the things around me are made and work and to help maintain cognitive function.

So no goals like RF research, audio repair etc. Just want to move through a curriculum.

Given that, what is an appropriate waveform generator that is compatible with the 824 that is not overkill but I will not likely outgrow. 

What are the advantages of the stand alone Siglent generators vs. SAG 1021?

THANKS!!
Regards,

Dewey

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: Which Waveform Generator to pair with Siglent 804
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2024, 08:36:34 pm »
What are the advantages of the stand alone Siglent generators vs. SAG 1021?

Easier to access and adjust the controls
Higher output voltage range (10V vs 3V)
Higher sampling rate
Two channel

You can just compare the datasheets.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: watchmaker

Offline bateau020

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2024, 08:44:46 pm »
If you are looking for waveform generators that are compatible with the bode plot feature of the SDS800X-HD (or SDS1000 series) , then you have the choice of a couple of Siglent AWGs natively, or the SAG1021I module, but you can also use other AWGs via "adapters" like espBode or sds1004x_bode.

The latter has been made compatible with the SDS800X-HD here: https://github.com/hb020/sds1004x_bode/, and it wouldn't surprise me if a suitable fork of espBode springs up soon. Also see https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-and-sds1204x-e-bode-plot-with-non-siglent-awg/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 08:48:06 pm by bateau020 »

The following users thanked this post: watchmaker

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2024, 09:24:24 pm »
If your budget allows, I would pick the SDG2042X. It's 16-bit and that makes a difference on your 12-bit scope. The SDG1032X is also nice, and (on paper) has a superior square wave, but it's only 14-bit.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2024, 09:39:09 pm »
To OP,

Agree with Josh above, the SDG2042X is a nice AWG and produces excellent 16 Bit waveforms!! It directly interfaces with the SDS series of DSOs/Computers, including the new 12 Bit versions and can be "expanded" to 120MHz with help of folks on here which allows the SDS "Computer" to Display Bode Plots to 120MHz (if the SDS804 HD is also "expanded") ;)

BTW, all TRUE Engineers/Scientist learn unit until they are buried!! Don't know what happens after that, but sure hope it continues :-+

Best,
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 01:18:40 am by mawyatt »
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2024, 09:42:11 pm »
If you are looking for waveform generators that are compatible with the bode plot feature of the SDS800X-HD (or SDS1000 series) , then you have the choice of a couple of Siglent AWGs natively, or the SAG1021I module, but you can also use other AWGs via "adapters" like espBode or sds1004x_bode.

If you already have a non-Siglent generator, this is probably an option so that you don't have to get a new one.
However, if you don't have a generator yet, I don't see why you shouldn't buy a Siglent SDG.

Quote from: KungFuJosh
The SDG1032X is also nice, and (on paper) has a superior square wave

Not only on paper... ;)

but it's only 14-bit.

Could be less tragic than it sounds at first.

"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: tautech, 2N3055

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2024, 10:12:34 pm »

The latter has been made compatible with the SDS800X-HD here: https://github.com/hb020/sds1004x_bode/, and it wouldn't surprise me if a suitable fork of espBode springs up soon. Also see https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-and-sds1204x-e-bode-plot-with-non-siglent-awg/

I agree with Martin. If you don't have AWG already then it is best to pair it with Siglent one. While people made some adapter software, you need external hardware to run etc etc. Using Bode on Siglent scope with their AWG is so seamless and easy.  Plug and play in best meaning of the phrase. 

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh, Martin72

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2024, 11:04:45 pm »
but it's only 14-bit.

Could be less tragic than it sounds at first.

Sure, but for the small price difference, and if you follow Siglent's marketing graphics...
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf