Author Topic: Thermal chamber brands recommendations  (Read 608 times)

Offline ddavideborTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
Thermal chamber brands recommendations
« on: February 11, 2023, 11:32:35 pm »
I’m considering purchasing a thermal chamber with around 400x400x400mm internal volume that can hold temperature between 10 and 40 degrees Celsius, so pretty basic requirements.

Does anyone have any brand recommendations? I’m in the UK
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline mkissin

• Regular Contributor
Re: Thermal chamber brands recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 12:11:06 am »
You'll need to provide more specs; mainly the power requirements if you're looking for one that can actively chill like that.

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 01:16:18 am »
You'll need to provide more specs; mainly the power requirements if you're looking for one that can actively chill like that.

Chill?  He is in the UK, so surely it will always be heating even with a decent heat source inside...  :-DD

But seriously, at a minimum you'll need an idea of system capacity to deal with your thermal loads.  A range of 10-40C generally isn't hard, unless you are also dealing with high power devices or need high ramp rates.  Also consider if you want control (or at least monitoring) of RH, and if you want a window or need cable egress.

There are a few DIY projects documented on this site using peltiers and OTS controllers, and Dave even did at east one video on the topic.

Offline fourfathom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 01:44:19 am »
I don't think the internal measurements are quite that big, but for keeping low-power devices at a constant temperature you might want to look at the "Reptile Incubator" as seen on EEVBlog video.  With this TEC heating/cooling I can control the temperature from <+10C to +60C
I modified mine to use an external controller.   The stock incubator internal fans only run when the TEC is on, and the change in air circulation when cycling affected my DUT, so now the fan runs continuously when the chamber is in use.  My controller lets me set up temperature/time profiles.  The stock unit only has a setpoint, and IIRC the temperature would oscillate +/- 1 deg C around the setpoint.  It can take hours to run a 50 deg C cycle, the heating/cooling rate is very slow.  So you're not going to use this for thermal shock tests!

But it's cheap and good enough for what I need.
We'll search out every place a sick, twisted, solitary misfit might run to! -- I'll start with Radio Shack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf