Author Topic: Siglent SDL1030X-E Firmware upgrade (USB) problem  (Read 909 times)

Offline TBSTopic starter

• Contributor
Siglent SDL1030X-E Firmware upgrade (USB) problem
« on: February 13, 2023, 05:22:18 am »
Hello everybody,

I have problems with upgrading my Siglent SDL1030X-E Electonic Load's firmware and it has been pretty weird. I hope somebody will be able to help.

PROBLEM:
Whenever I put the flash drive in the unit, it shows the drive as ready, but when I try to open the drive in Upgrade menu, it looks empty (see UpgradeUSB.jpg).

DESCRIPTION:
I have never tried the USB port on the unit and now I want to try remote control through the LAN. For that I need to upgrade the firmware, since the unit has only the first one "1.1.1.19R1" which has no remote control or web server available (see Firmware.jpg).

I tried to create multiple USB flash drives as Siglent vaguely describes:
- sizes: 4gb, 8gb or 16gb
- volumes: maximum size, 2gb, 250mb
- filesystems: FAT, FAT32, NTFS
and put a file "SDL1000X_X-E_1.1.1.21.ADS" to the root directory. I also tried different firmware versions and also rename the file to "SIGLENT.ADS".

It never works and every time the unit shows empty drive (see UpgradeUSB.jpg). There is one little thing though – one of the USB drives blinks when accessed and it start blinking when I move the cursor on the "D:" drive and it wont stop blinking. Only after I move the cursor of the letter, it stops blinking. Could there be some problem with reading the drive?
I can show the USBID (see USBID.jpg) and also Chip Test looks good (see ChipTest.jpg).

I also tried the recovery mode to force the upgrade by holding the rotatory button when booting, but that also failed and said "Host upgrade failed by key!" (see FirmwareRecovery.jpg). There is literally NO information about that sentence in all of the Google  :wtf:.
I am always happy to have a problem that nobody in the world had in the past :D

Is there any way to repair this or how to upgrade the firmware through the USB on behind the unit, LAN or RS232?
- RS232 seems to be only input - cant get any reading when the unit is starting
- LAN doesn't seems to have any ports open - Telnet (23) and SSH (22) doesn't work
Did a port scan and ports 111 and 9009 seems to be open, but not for telnet or ssh :(

P.S.: Its more than 2 years old so there is definitely no warranty ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 05:44:25 am by TBS »

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
Re: Siglent SDL1030X-E Firmware upgrade (USB) problem
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 06:02:56 am »
I use a 4GB flash drive, formatted as MS-DOS (FAT32) on my Mac, I called the flash drive SDL1030X, name of the drive can cause problems sometimes too.

In my case the update file is called "SDL1000X_X-E_V1.1.1.22.ADS" on the root level of the drive.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 06:39:53 am by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

The following users thanked this post: TBS

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 06:47:12 am »
TBS, it is as Defpom describes as USB stick parameters are the cause of your upgrade failure.
We decipher:
I tried to create multiple USB flash drives as Siglent vaguely describes:
- sizes: 4gb, 8gb or 16gb > max USB stick size
- volumes: maximum size, 2gb, 250mb > partitions if used.
- filesystems: FAT, FAT32, NTFS < FAT32 with 4k (default) cluster is best.

FAT32 with 4k clusters is known to work without issue. Across all Siglent products 8GB is accepted as the best max size.

The message "Host upgrade failed by key!" is telling the USB key (stick/drive) is incorrectly formatted to work with the instrument.
Try the above and report back please.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: TBS

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 07:06:22 am »
Just upgraded one to  V1.1.1.22 from stock on hand here.

Report of upgrade from V1.1.1.21R2
From Shift>Utility>P2>Upgrade
Navigate to upgrade file and OK becomes lit> Press.
Upgrade takes some 10s to start and a minute or so to finish download after which the file install takes another minute or so.
Self reboots. < at this time the USB stick can be removed.
Manual restart as instructions state.

Do note the revision history update instructions, attached.
Update instructions
◆ Very important!
After the upgrade is complete, restart the machine.
◆ If you get stuck in the upgrade process, follow these steps to upgrade again. 1. Copy the new firmware version to usb flash drive. 2. Press and hold the knob to turn on the power button, it will enter the forced upgrade system. 3. After the completion of the main MCU upgrade will automatically restart. 4. Then enter system upgrade,Utility(shift+CP)----System---upgrade--Select the file new firmware version(.ads)--Upgrade is complete
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline TBSTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 09:28:03 am »
1. I hate Siglent  |O
2. I fc.... love you guys  :-* TheDefpom  :-* tautech

So, when "TheDefpom" said MS-DOS, I used the "rufus" to format the usb drive with the "SDL1030X" as label. Miracle dude, from that point the unit was able to read the USB flash without hitch.

But, I put there the "V1.1.1.22" and tried to go directly from 19R1. First it was saying "Slave is upgrading ....", then it restarted and just for a second was reading "Host is upgrading ...." after that it was "Host upgrade failed by udisk!" :scared:. What now.. shutdown and restart? Well, can't wait forever, so i restarted. Thankfully it booted up, but with the error screen where two of three parts (top and bottom) of the unit were dead and the SW version still 19R1 and the HW version was 00-00-000  :palm:

Ok, so I tried to lower version - I tried the 1.1.1.21 version and then the upgrade went swimmingly. After that 21R2 and then 22. Now it was OK :)

So, for everyone:
Use "Rufus" to format your USB drive with the "SDL1030X" as label. Then go version by version just to be on a safe side :)

I will try to post images later today.
Thx guys :)

P.S.: apparently there is no Web Server on this unit :D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 09:37:47 am by TBS »

The following users thanked this post: TheDefpom

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf