Author Topic: logic analyzer + scope for a beginner.  (Read 1203 times)

Offline RUWO1Topic starter

logic analyzer + scope for a beginner.
« on: March 27, 2020, 01:48:14 pm »
Hello,

I'm looking for a 32 channel logic analyzer at 100Mhz and a 100Mhz 2 channel storage scope. these are all pretty much minimum specs, higher is better ofcourse. I don't really have a strict budget but around 200€ max. I live in belgium. almost all sellers of used test equipment seem to be US based, i can't really find anything UK or europe based that sells what i'm looking for and thus shipping iq quite expensive. I first thought i'd buy a cheap analog scope and a USB LA but then I realised that what i will use the scope for most is 1-time events, and thus really need a storage scope. this led to looking for LA+scope combo's and MSO's. After some looking i think a HP 1653B or 52B would be amazing. however, i can't get one for super cheap it seams. cheapest i have found is 220€(including shipping) on Ebay. i am still open to standalone scope/LA options but can't really find any for my price. ofcourse there is the famed HP 16500 series but they seem to be quite a bit more expensive. does anybody have sugestions on other scopes/analysers that could do the trick? as said used and old stuff is fine.

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
Re: logic analyzer + scope for a beginner.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 02:12:05 pm »
You are not being reasonable, you required HW specially for the L.A. is not "entry level" or begineer stuff.

If you need such a powerful LA with 32 channels, you probably will work with FPGAs or parallel memories...

With a 200 euro budget, I would say to get a 16 channel SALEAE clone on ebay and a used rigol DS something.

If you could spend 4 times that, the rigol DS5000 series would be very nice, but is 16 LA channel "only"

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 02:36:49 pm »
You are not being reasonable, you required HW specially for the L.A. is not "entry level" or begineer stuff.

I don't think i'm being unreasonable. 100meg for a scope is not exactly a lot. nor is it for an LA(async ofc). 32ch is more than average but not outlandish i fell. the mentioned 1653B meets these requirements and the 1652B variant has 80 channels at the same spec.

If you need such a powerful LA with 32 channels, you probably will work with FPGAs or parallel memories...
In fact VERY slow memory and backplane debugging is exactly what I need it for.

Is there any specific rigol DS you reccomend? if i could get one for around 70€ I could sneak in a used tek 1220 or 1230 for the LA.

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 02:51:00 pm »
Is the HP1653B meets your requirements, go for it.

I would rather prefer a PC based L.A., decoding in a small screen in and old equipment is just to painful for me.

If you can get away with 16 channels, I would seriously look at the analog discovery 2 or adalm2000

https://store.digilentinc.com/analog-discovery-2-100msps-usb-oscilloscope-logic-analyzer-and-variable-power-supply/
https://www.analog.com/en/design-center/evaluation-hardware-and-software/evaluation-boards-kits/adalm2000.html#eb-overview

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 03:38:43 pm »
the ADALM2000 seems like a reasonable compromise for a logic analyzer, but i can't imagine the scope on it is any good. maybe 20Mhz max. and with it's price it doesn't really allow me to buy another standalone scope

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 03:57:21 pm »
Unfortunately, when we talk about test and measurement 200 euros is not much.

A fluke 87V costs more than that...

What are you willing to do, specifically?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf