Author Topic: Siglent SDG1032X Harmonic Distorsion  (Read 12005 times)

Offline mio83Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Siglent SDG1032X Harmonic Distorsion
« on: May 03, 2020, 08:07:37 am »
Hello,  :popcorn:

I received yesterday a SDG1032X AWG and I am overall very happy about it.
One thing though... I tried to verify the harmonics distortion with a spectrum analyzer:

(see video at around 10:06 https://youtu.be/QpZYlpBSQEc?t=606)

I measured about -55dbc at 1Mhz, 5Mhz and 10Mhz.
The datasheet claims a -60dbc Harmonic distortion.

(see, e.g., page 7 at https://www.batronix.com/files/Siglent/Funktionsgeneratoren/SDG1000X/SDG1000X_Datasheet_EN.pdf)

Can somebody else replicate the measurements? Am I the only one with this "below specs" performance?
Or perhaps I am doing something wrong in my measurement setup?

thanks!

:-+

EDIT: not included in the video linked above, but I get the primised -60dbc if I reduce the power from 0dbm to -10dbm.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 08:13:27 am by mio83 »

Offline Frex

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDG1032X Harmonic Distorsion
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 08:48:18 am »
Hello,

Maybe the THD come from spectrum analyzer itself.
Try to use the internal attenuator of the analyzer to reduce the input level of mixer and look if THD is lowered.
If THD value is not same, then it come from the analyzer.
Regards.

Frex

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 09:36:26 am »
Hi Frex,

thanks a lot of your answer!
The deafult attenuation setting of my SA (HP 8591E) is (as in the video) of 10db attenuation.
Here are results with other attenuators (carrier 5Mhz at 0dbm) reading at 10Mhz:

1) 10db attenuation: 10Mhz  -55dbc,  15Mhz -68dbc
2) 20db attenuation: 10Mhz  -61dbc,  15Mhz -69dbc
3) 30db attenuation: 10Mhz  -63dbc,  15Mhz -69dbc
4) 40db attenuation: 10Mhz  -65dbc,  15Mhz -70dbc

(I checked that varying the attenuation from 10db to 40db does not change the readings of the 5Mhz carrier which stays stable at 0dbm).

So it looks like you are right and the true value is approx. -65dbc @10Mhz with a 0dmb carrier 5Mhz!  :-+

Thanks I have learnt something!
But I admit I don't quite understand what's going on.
Why is the attenuation giving these different results on the harmonics but it is stable at the carrier?
The attenuator should attenuate linearly all frequencies, right?

Thanks!

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 10:21:04 am »
Hi Frex,

thanks a lot of your answer!
The deafult attenuation setting of my SA (HP 8591E) is (as in the video) of 10db attenuation.
Here are results with other attenuators (carrier 5Mhz at 0dbm) reading at 10Mhz:

1) 10db attenuation: 10Mhz  -55dbc,  15Mhz -68dbc
2) 20db attenuation: 10Mhz  -61dbc,  15Mhz -69dbc
3) 30db attenuation: 10Mhz  -63dbc,  15Mhz -69dbc
4) 40db attenuation: 10Mhz  -65dbc,  15Mhz -70dbc

(I checked that varying the attenuation from 10db to 40db does not change the readings of the 5Mhz carrier which stays stable at 0dbm).

So it looks like you are right and the true value is approx. -65dbc @10Mhz with a 0dmb carrier 5Mhz!  :-+

Thanks I have learnt something!
But I admit I don't quite understand what's going on.
Why is the attenuation giving these different results on the harmonics but it is stable at the carrier?
The attenuator should attenuate linearly all frequencies, right?

Thanks!
Hello!
If you open datasheet for your spectrum analyser, you will see that it's own Second harmonic distortion, third order IMD and other spurious signals specifications are rated at -10, -20, -30 and even -40dBm signal levels. So, even if input can work with 0 dBm, it will start to distort there and create it's own distortion artefacts and spurs. So when measuring like this, you need to use attenuators (like you did) to bring signal into sweet spot of your SA, like Frex said.  In datasheet you have levels defined per parameter and frequency range (it won't be the same for all frequencies)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 10:33:24 am »
Thanks guys! Awesome informations!

:-+

EDIT: Just to make 100% sure I now understand what is going on...

I have checked the datasheet of my SA: https://www.testequipmenthq.com/datasheets/Keysight-8591E-Datasheet.pdf

It says:
  • Second Harmonic Distortion, HP 8591E (5 MHz to 1.8 GHz): < –70 dBc for –45 dBm tone
    at input mixer
  • Third-Order Intermodulation, HP 8591E (5 MHz to 1.8 GHz):< – 70 dBc for two –30 dBm tones
    at input and > 50 kHz separation

So, it looks like generally my SA analyzer (HP 8591E), even with 40db attenuation (to bring the input to the sweet spot of -45dbm) cannot reliably measure Harmonic distorsions of less than -70dbc, because it does itself generate a ~-70dbc harmonics.

Is this a correct interpretation?

Thanks a lot again!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 11:07:33 am by mio83 »

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 12:59:33 pm »
@mio83: You may want to have a look at that thread for a comparison of a few AWGs (and also SGs) and some discussions regarding the effects of measurement setups.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 01:22:06 pm »
@TurboTom,

thanks I missed that post of yours! Very well made!
Full of very useful informations both for using properly the SA and for comparing
with other SWG...

Looks like the Siglent 1032X with its -65dbc harmonics at 0dbm@5Mhz is standing very well.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 08:26:16 pm »
Update: just for the sake of completeness I added a new videos where I confirm that my Siglent SDG 1032X meets the specifications:

Also, in my case the frequency counter works fine up to 250Mhz, while the specification is only 200Mhz.

I am super happy with this unit so far!  :-+ :popcorn: 8) :clap:
(disclaimer: this is my first AWG  :-DD )

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 08:29:23 am »
@mio83

Here's a couple of video clips which might ruin your day (or maybe only my day >:( :( ).

The jpg is showing the AWGs' settings.

The short 5 second clip shows the 10MHz sine wave output from the SDG1032X on CH2 with CH1 triggering the 'scope from CH2 of the FY6600 which is locked to my 10MHz GPSDO reference. CH3 shows the free running RFS and CH4 shows the FY6600's 10MHz Sinc pulse from its CH1 port.

The SDG1032 is using its internal 50ppm smd XO (25MHz? as in the SDG1025 or is it a 10MHz XO chip?) which is the cause of the flicker noise like jitter (checking the reference output reveals the same jitter). The jitter disappears completely when using the external 10MHz GPSDO reference (but this reveals a +1.43mHz offset which equates to an error of one second per 45 years versus the one second error in 1.8 million years of the FY6600 :wtf:  :) ).

The SDG1032X is a brand new unit that arrived just three days ago. I've posted these movie clips into a couple of other SDG1032X related topic threads to get opinions/evidence as to whether this is just a rogue defect or a more general issue due to Siglent's use of cheap crappy 50ppm smd XO chips as per Feeltech's use of a 50ppm 50MHz one in their FY6600 and FY6800 models (the later FY6900 models use a 10MHz 20ppm smd XO chip).

My hope is that someone will be curious enough to repeat my tests and risk having their day spoilt by the result. I'm curious to know whether, as in the case of my FY6600, this is an inescapable consequence of the use of a cheap smd XO chip or just my bad luck to get a faulty unit. I'd seen similar jitter before upgrading the crap XO chip used in the FY6600 to a 50MHz 0.1ppm TCXO when trying to match its output frequency to some DIP14 XOs in an exercise not unlike the game of "Chase Will o' the Whisp" trying to keep both waveform traces matched in frequency for more than 5 seconds at a time).

After this first oscillator upgrade, this game seemed a little easier to play. Having subsequently upgraded to a CQE branded (as used in some Symmetricom kit) 10MHz OCXO with a 3N502 clock multiplier sat where the crappy XO chip used to reside to multiply this up to the 50MHz used by the FPGA, the only issue with matching the frequencies of DIP14 XOs is their temperature driven deviation which eventually settle down if sheltered from random breezes in my "Lab".

This jitter effect is very disturbing since it makes a total mockery of Siglent's low jitter claims of 300ps (an RMS figure BTW rather than the less misleading Pk-Pk value of 900ns compared to the 200 to 250ns Pk-Pk jitter visible in 'scope traces of the FY6600's Sine and Sinc pulse wave forms).

Quite frankly, as much as the SDG1032X (SDG1062X) is an improvement over not only the FY6600 but the SDG2000X series in the square wave performance department along with other desirable features absent from my much modified FY6600, I'm minded to return it as "Not fit for purpose" by way of this oscillator defect and put the cash back into my account.

The longer 1 minute video clip is demonstrating yet another shortcoming of the SDG1032 over the FY6600 with regard to the stability of the Sinc pulse. In this case, I'm comparing a 6MHz pulse (maximum frequency limit) from the Siglent against a 12MHz pulse (not a maximum limit) from the Feeltech. I won't bother describing this clip (a picture is worth a thousand words and, in this case, this movie clip is worth some 1800 pictures).

I'll post another video clip which may demonstrate the jitter issue a little more effectively - I've hit the 5000KB limit with these attachments, hence the next posting to show another 3.7MiB 20 seconds long clip. You'll have to download them and either remove the ,zip extension or else right click and select your favourite media player to open them in (EEVBlog won't allow you to attach video clip files, hence the .zip filename extension to bypass this file type filter).

Regards, John
John

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 08:35:28 am »
 As promised, here is that 20 seconds long video clip demonstrating the jitter on a 10MHz square wave output from my brand new SDG1032X

John
John

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 07:07:57 pm »
Did a quick test with the built-in AWG in the SDS2102X Plus, compared to the SDG2042X, both with 10MHz Square-wave at 2vpp into 50 ohms. Using the scope rise time mean and standard deviation as a reference. The scope AWG has a Mean rise time of 24.8ns and SD of 105ps, the 2042X AWG has a Mean rise time of 8.7ns and SD of 43ps.

You can set 2042X to 9 digits, example 999.999999Hz, 999.999999KHz on the 2042X. You program the 2 channels slowly drift wrt each other by programming C1 as 1KHz and C2 as 999.999999Hz.

BTW what format are the videos in, I can't view them on my Mac after renaming without the xx.zip extension?

Best
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 07:13:38 pm by mawyatt »
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline DL2XY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 07:59:59 pm »
@John

The jitter is not caused by the generator.
You are triggering on a 10.000 000 Mhz sine (CH1) and comparing a 10.000 010 square.
So 10 times a second you got the same phase. Your scope seems to have a screen update rate of about 10/s, but this rate is not perfectly uniform.

It´s simply a stroboscope effect.

I have tried to reproduce it on SDG6052 and SDS2504. The update rate is at 31/s and interestingly without any jitter.
Maybe some of your active measurement functions are introducing the jitter in update rate.   
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 08:04:39 pm by DL2XY »

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2020, 11:06:44 pm »
Did a quick test with the built-in AWG in the SDS2102X Plus, compared to the SDG2042X, both with 10MHz Square-wave at 2vpp into 50 ohms. Using the scope rise time mean and standard deviation as a reference. The scope AWG has a Mean rise time of 24.8ns and SD of 105ps, the 2042X AWG has a Mean rise time of 8.7ns and SD of 43ps.

You can set 2042X to 9 digits, example 999.999999Hz, 999.999999KHz on the 2042X. You program the 2 channels slowly drift wrt each other by programming C1 as 1KHz and C2 as 999.999999Hz.

BTW what format are the videos in, I can't view them on my Mac after renaming without the xx.zip extension?

Best

As long as your second frequency source is completely independent from the AWG and is a reasonably stable and low jitter one, you only need to get the AWG and the second frequency reference matched to within +/- 0.5Hz in the range 1 to 10 MHz (the higher the frequency, the more obvious the jitter becomes but 10MHz is more than high enough in this case).

The moment you have both sources locked to the same reference frequency, all bets are off. The prime example being looking only at the the AWG's output as a single 'scope trace, triggered by the same signal when looking for such low frequency jitter as this.

Thank you for providing a hint at there being more digits available (11 in fact!  :) ) to set the frequency. I discovered that by entering the value, 99999999999 via the keypad (basically until it wouldn't accept any more digits) and pressing the uHz button, I could program a frequency of 99.9999999KHz which would be rounded up to 100.000000KHz as a consequence of the final two digits being overwritten in the display by the "KHz" characters.

This is obviously a right royal pain of a software bug (a software writer's error due to an incomplete understanding of the GUI's requirement - aka, incompetence) requiring such a work around to enter the maximum number of digits that can be stuffed into the frequency variable. In all probability, it's likely only a matter of rewriting the GUI code to allow a full 14 digits' worth of resolution to be used to define the frequency input and thus match the humble FY6600's frequency resolution and fulfil the promise of the uHz frequency setting resolution implied in Siglent's datasheet specs.

This might seem to be a 'nit picking' criticism on my part but, in an AWG blessed with an external 10MHz precision reference input socket, without this sort of resolution (uHz or, at the very least mHz) that improved stability and accuracy gained from the use of an external reference just goes completely to waste.

Incidentally, the mysterious 1.43mHz offset I thought I'd discovered in the SDG1032 now appears to have vanished without trace. The only hypothesis for this that I can think of is that I must have been triggering the 'scope from the free running Rubidium Reference Standard when I originally made that observation (the RFS must have been adrift from my GPSDO reference by 1.43mHz at that time). It seems it might match the 1 second shift in 1.8 million years stability of the Feeltech. My apologies for making this error. :-[ :palm:

The video format is H.264 (x264). If you have VLC media player installed, you should be able to open them in that without any problems.

John
John

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 11:17:20 pm »
@John

You are triggering on a 10.000 000 Mhz sine (CH1) and comparing a 10.000 010 square.
So 10 times a second you got the same phase. Your scope seems to have a screen update rate of about 10/s, but this rate is not perfectly uniform.

I have tried to reproduce it on SDG6052 and SDS2504. The update rate is at 31/s and interestingly without any jitter.
Maybe some of your active measurement functions are introducing the jitter in update rate.

Could you check the square wave rise time standard deviation on your SDG6052? Curious to how it compares to the SDG2042X mentioned above.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2020, 11:49:18 pm »
It seems it might match the 1 second shift in 1.8 million years stability of the Feeltech. My apologies for making this error. :-[ :palm:

The video format is H.264 (x264). If you have VLC media player installed, you should be able to open them in that without any problems.

John

I second shift in 1.8 Million years is 1/(1.8M yrs *365 days/yr *24 hrs/day *60 minutes/hr *60 seconds/minute) or 1/56.7648 ^12 or 17.6166 ^-15. That's 18 parts per thousand trillion :o

Thanks for the video info, I don't have VLC installed on the Mac.

Best
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2020, 12:26:58 am »
@John

Well, that strobing effect of the 'scope's screen refresh rate is an interesting hypothesis but I'm far from convinced that the observed effect has anything to do with such strobing effects Perhaps you can explain your testing methodology so we can discern where the disagreement between our test results has come from.

When examining such low frequency jitter, we need to compare against another completely independent low jitter frequency reference that is stable enough to remain within one or two hertz for a matter of minutes at a time.

I chose to trigger from the the Feeltech's 10MHz sine wave output since this was locked to the 10MHz lab reference with the RFS and the Sinc pulse output from the Feeltech thrown in for good measure displaying the 10MHz sine output from the Siglent on CH2 to display the low frequency jitter inherited from its internal 10MHz XO (switching to the external GPSDO reference completely eliminates this jitter).

If I triggered from the Siglent's 10MHz output on CH2, the jitter effect would be transferred to the other three traces, leaving the Siglent's 10MHz, apparently jitter free. Call me a "Doubting Thomas" if you must, but I can't see how a screen refresh mechanism can account for any of this behaviour with even the cheapest and crappiest of DSOs. ::)

If you're just examining each signal in isolation (triggering the scope from the very signal you're examining), you simply won't be able to observe such low frequency jitter. You need a second low jitter signal to trigger from that can be matched to within +/- 1Hz of the suspect signal.

If that is what you've done, that just means neither signal source is cursed by this effect and you can breathe a sigh of relief. :)

John
John

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2020, 01:57:55 am »
It seems it might match the 1 second shift in 1.8 million years stability of the Feeltech. My apologies for making this error. :-[ :palm:

John

I second shift in 1.8 Million years is 1/(1.8M yrs *365 days/yr *24 hrs/day *60 minutes/hr *60 seconds/minute) or 1/56.7648 ^12 or 17.6166 ^-15. That's 18 parts per thousand trillion :o

Thanks for the video info, I don't have VLC installed on the Mac.

Best

That accuracy only relates to the error introduced by rounding errors in the DDS processing of a 250MHz clocked sample stream into a 10MHz sine wave output and assumes the 10MHz external reference used is drift free (i.e, that the GPS or its many successors should last that long.  :) ) IOW, the DDS errors in the Feeltech system won't be playing a significant part in the overall scheme of things any time soon. :D For that matter, it looks like the same can be said for the Siglent which has remained resolutely fixed to the same nanosecond marker for the past three or four hours.

When I was trying to work out the frequency accuracy of the Feeltech's 10MHz sine wave output versus a newly installed injection locking module to allow a glitchless transfer between the on board OCXO and an external clock reference, it was to initially answer the question as to whether the 1uHz adjustments did anything or where simply just ornamental.

In the end, I discovered I could have answered this question even before I'd upgraded the crappy smd XO. It was just a matter of setting both channels to a 10MHz sine wave and offsetting one by just 1uHz and waiting for the wave traces to drift by a nanosecond in just over 2 hours and 46 minutes, proving that the 1uHz tuning increment had been a "real feature" after all.

Comparing both channels, fed from the same internal clock source, no matter how bad it is,  neatly cancels all of the jitter between them. However, I had noticed a slight discrepancy between positive and negative 1uHz offsets which implied the existence of a small rounding error which led me to run a 24 hour test to discover, afaicr, a 1.5ns drift which led me to calculate that 1.8 million year figure (actually, 1.825 million years now that I've repeated the calculation).

Since VLC is available for both MS Windows and Unix based OSes (Linux and Free BSD platforms) I imagine there'll be a version available for the Apple Mac platform. Still, I'm surprised that you don't already have a suitable media player installed or built into the OS. These Full HD movie clips are simply H.264 inside of Matroska container files if that's any help.

John

John

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 02:09:51 am »
Just ran a simple test with SDG 2042X AWG where C1 was 1MHz and C2 was different by 0.001Hz. I watched the phase slowly & smoothly change and timed the shift for a 40ns phase drift, it was 40 seconds or 1ns per second. At 1MHz it takes 1us (1000ns) to complete a cycle, so a shift of 40ns in 40 seconds is correct for a 0.001Hz difference (1000 seconds per cycle). Now I have more confidence in the AWG frequency settings.

When I have the AWG from the SDS2102X Plus scope on C2 set to 1MHz and the SDG2042X AWG on C1 I need to adjust the frequency to about 999.999895KHz to get the phase drift to remain somewhat stable. I had calibrated the SDG2042X a few weeks ago and used the Reference of a SSA3021X Plus figuring it has the better accurate frequency oscillator. There is a type of very slow "random walk" of the phase drift between the two AWGs but no hint of any significant jitter, high or low frequency.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline DL2XY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2020, 06:19:17 am »

Could you check the square wave rise time standard deviation on your SDG6052? Curious to how it compares to the SDG2042X mentioned above.

SDG6052 internal oscillator

CH1: 1MHz square standard.
CH3: 1MHz square without output filter (modulation bug)

1080800-0

The following users thanked this post: mawyatt

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2020, 01:10:22 pm »
In the end, I discovered I could have answered this question even before I'd upgraded the crappy smd XO. It was just a matter of setting both channels to a 10MHz sine wave and offsetting one by just 1uHz and waiting for the wave traces to drift by a nanosecond in just over 2 hours and 46 minutes, proving that the 1uHz tuning increment had been a "real feature" after all.

At 10MHz you have a waveform period of 100ns, at 1uHz you have a period of 1000000 seconds. So the phase will shift for a full cycle at a rate of 100ns*1^6 or 0.1seconds. For a 1ns drift this will be 1ns*1^6 or 1ms. Please show how you arrived at 2 hrs and 46 minutes??

Comparing both channels, fed from the same internal clock source, no matter how bad it is,  neatly cancels all of the jitter between them. However, I had noticed a slight discrepancy between positive and negative 1uHz offsets which implied the existence of a small rounding error which led me to run a 24 hour test to discover, afaicr, a 1.5ns drift which led me to calculate that 1.8 million year figure (actually, 1.825 million years now that I've repeated the calculation).

I'm not following this, please show how you arrived at 1.825 Million years??

Best,

~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2020, 01:16:57 pm »

SDG6052 internal oscillator

CH1: 1MHz square standard.
CH3: 1MHz square without output filter (modulation bug)

(Attachment Link)

Thanks, that looks really good. Not sure what you mean about the output filter, does the Square Wave pass thru an output filter?

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2020, 02:54:14 pm »
Every at least half-decent digital waveform generator has got a "reconstruction filter" which resembles a very steep low-pass (at least) several ten percents below nyquist frequency (half sampling frequency). Moreover, most modern AWGs don't produce square wave slopes by just outputting one sample low and the next one high or vice versa, even though this would provide the fastest slopes. But in this case, the slopes would always be synchronous with the sampling frequency, resulting in very bad phase jitter, depending on the quotient of sampling frequency and output frequency.

Instead, the more recent AWGs purposely limit the rise times of the slopes and generate them by a number of samples, smoothed out by the reconstruction filter. By properly calculating the vlues of the "slope samples", the zero crossing time (or whatever voltage is half-way between max positive and max negative amplitude), can be tweaked to be within very few picoseconds where it's supposed to be as predefined by the selected frequency.

Some generators change operational mode when for example sweeps, modulation or other other functions are activated, the SDG6000X apparently being among them. "standard" maximum rise time is 2ns which results in fairly clean slopes since the sample sequence (@ 2.4GSa/s) involves almost five samples, allowing the reconstruction filter to produce nice and smooth slopes. In case the additional function is activated, for whatever reason the slopes are directly generated or at least the number of samples considerably reduced, resulting in the reconstruction filter (remember , it's an R-L-C network of nineth order in case of the SDG6000X) to start to ring, causing the overshoot.

So, yes, the square wave passes through a low pass filter which in some cases is beneficial and in others not so much so...

The following users thanked this post: mawyatt

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2020, 03:11:05 pm »

I thought that the better AWG would have used a simpler reconstruction filter with a faster pulse response for the square wave, thus "bypassing" the complex reconstruction filter necessary for the other analogish waveforms where waveform purity is required.

Makes sense that you can't produce a squarewave from the clock with finer resolution that the clock period (actually 1/2 period using both edges), thus must revert to interpolation for finer time resolution. Recall the "older method" was to use the full reconstruction filter and "zero cross" detect the post-filter waveform with an analog comparator to create the square wave, this worked well but had some additional jitter/noise introduced by the comparator.

Thanks for the explanation.

Best,
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2020, 04:24:09 pm »
@John

I tried the same with my SDG6000X and got same result. It has no perceptible jitter. It smoothly travels over screen in accordance to frequency difference...
Set to output 9.999994 MHz it measures like this:

So I agree with stroboscopic effect conclusion..

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2020, 09:14:16 pm »

At 10MHz you have a waveform period of 100ns, at 1uHz you have a period of 1000000 seconds. So the phase will shift for a full cycle at a rate of 100ns*1^6 or 0.1seconds. For a 1ns drift this will be 1ns*1^6 or 1ms. Please show how you arrived at 2 hrs and 46 minutes??

I'm not following this, please show how you arrived at 1.825 Million years??

Best,

It can be a little hard to wrap your head around this calculation but once you have it fixed in your head that with a difference frequency of zero when both signals are equal and remain locked in phase as is the case with a DDS AWG, you're looking at a DC output (0Hz) until you offset one of those signals by 1uHz where, as you've already calculated, it will require a million seconds to go through one full cycle of phase drift over (in this case) the 100ns period of a 10MHz test frequency.

It will take 1% of a million seconds to phase shift by 1ns which is 10,000 seconds or 166 minutes and 40 seconds  (2 hours, 46 minutes and 40 seconds to be exact). An easier example for starters is to get your head around the fact that a 1000 seconds (16 minutes and 40 seconds on a stopwatch) per full cycle of drift against a 10MHz reference frequency represents a 1mHz offset which, btw, in this case equates to an error of 100ppt (1.0E-10). In this case, such a 1mHz offset represents a drift rate of 1ns every 10 seconds (another way to see that a drift rate of 1ns per 10000 seconds corresponds to a 1uHz offset)

Once you have determined a 1.5ns drift per day figure by running a 24 hour test to measure this drift between the external GPS derived 10MHz reference and a precisely set 10MHz signal on one of the AWG's channels (just about doable in the presence of some 300ps Pk-Pk of jitter noise that you are no longer shielded from by the use of the other equally jittering channel as your reference to cancel out the jitter noise in a form of common mode rejection normally associated with unshielded balanced transmission lines), it then just boils down to a simple calculation to work out how long it will take to accumulate a whole second's worth of drift at a rate of 1.5ns per day.

You can use a cheap 8 digit office calculator for this calculation if you break it down into digestible (for that cheap calculator) chunks. I started by calculating how many days it would take to accumulate an error of 1000ns (1us) which is simply 1000 divided by 1.5 giving me a manageable total of 666.66666 days. Dividing that result by 365.25 to express it in years is what gave me the 1.8252338 figure that I'd truncated to just 1.825 years per microsecond's worth of error. Once you have that figure, you have no further use of a calculator since it simply requires a million-fold increase to equate the 1us error to a one second error. Ergo, that 1.825 years becomes 1.825 million years!  :)

Phew! Just reliving the calculations above had me going through bouts of  confusion until I remembered that the question over how I'd arrived at a 2 hour 46 minutes and 40 seconds figure to equate a 1ns drift with a 1uHz offset and the one regarding my 1.825 million years estimate for one second's worth of error to accumulate were two entirely separate problems.

The first being over how I'd  formulated the calculations required and the second being the application of a test measurement taken from a 24 hour experiment to figure out the accuracy in the now popular format of so many millions of years  required to accumulate a one second error. Hopefully, that's answered your questions.  :)

John
John

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf