Author Topic: I recommend Multimeter with limited budget  (Read 14672 times)

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: I recommend Multimeter with limited budget
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2022, 11:25:06 am »
I think my Hantek 2C42 is border line valid as a DMM but it does fit your budget - you get an oscilloscope to boot.

Can't comment on much on the previous suggestions (Uni-T, BM235, used Fluke 87V, BM235, Fluke 17B, UT61E, Aneng 8008/8009/870, BM257, Fluke 101, used Gossen Metrawatt et al) other than a quality DMM appears to be at least a long lasting product, in my experience.

The Gossen Metrawatt falls within the budget, the Hantek 2C42 costs  168 €

I own a pair of older Gossen meters, a MetraHit 14 and a MetraHit 25. They are incredibly well built, safe, and high quality. I assume without having seen them in reality that the Gossen Metraline DM61 is going to be at least approaching that.  If you buy one, my impression is  they'll serve you well.  Much more so than Aneng or Uni-T. Brymen might beat them on features, but I'll take dependability over features any day.

Why? See, 85% at least of the measurements one makes, in my experience, are measurements that will not challenge your instrument in terms of resolution, range or precision, but you still need to be reasonably certain that they're right; that what you see at first look is a correct measurement.  Quality instruments like Fluke and Gossen will give that. (And probably Brymen too, but I have no experience so can't tell.) 

My experience with even the cheaper instruments from quality manufacturers is that the longevity and quality will be inherited down from the expensive ones.  I have what was the cheapest Fluke ever when introduced, a model 10. I've had it for 28 years, and never done anything to it except swapping batteries. It still is dead accurate well within its limits.  That is dependability. That is what you want.  I trust Gossen will deliver at similar levels.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2022, 12:10:43 pm »
But now I have a question. Do the residual counts on the display negatively affect AC measurements of a few mV? I tried with a loop of wire around a toroidal, and I correctly measured something like 0.7 VAC. But I have no idea about lower measurements ...

Read the manual: Most meters only claim accuracy above about 5% or 10% of the AC range.

The following users thanked this post: marck120

Offline Niwivan

« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2022, 02:07:55 pm »
But now I have a question. Do the residual counts on the display negatively affect AC measurements of a few mV? I tried with a loop of wire around a toroidal, and I correctly measured something like 0.7 VAC. But I have no idea about lower measurements ...

Read the manual: Most meters only claim accuracy above about 5% or 10% of the AC range.
Hi, sorry, I mean if there is a minimum threshold, below which, due to residual counts, the multimeter is no longer accurate in its measurements :)
thanks

P.S In AC, the claim accuracy is 1.0% + 5d

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2022, 02:28:22 pm »
Hi, sorry, I mean if there is a minimum threshold, below which, due to residual counts, the multimeter is no longer accurate in its measurements :)

Yes.

Any decent multimeter will quantify the accuracy loss in the manual, eg. the Fluke 87V manual says:

Below 3% of range? Time to switch to a lower range!  :)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 03:06:49 pm by Fungus »

Offline mqsaharan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2022, 06:01:24 pm »
thanks

Yes, there is. But it hard to find unless the manufacturer has mentioned it in the manual/specifications. For example, take a look at the picture that Fungus has posted. Read it thoroughly and you'll find the answer to your question for Fluke 87V.
But for Brymen BM257s, you need to ask the manufacturer as it is not mentioned in the manual.
Edit: I also think that the error due to the residual counts is part of the reason the manufacturer has mentioned that the accuracy is guaranteed at or above 5% of the range.

P.S In AC, the claim accuracy is 1.0% + 5d

Yes, it is. But only for 5% to 100% of the range. For readings below 5% it is unknown. And again, you need to ask the manufacturer.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 06:06:25 pm by mqsaharan »

Online marck120Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2022, 06:46:00 pm »
Hi, I have the multimeter stuck on diode test, do you think it is damaged ?

EDIT :

Now it has started working again :

When it was frozen the display emitted a strange flickering :

« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 11:29:26 pm by marck120 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf