Author Topic: SDS804X HD  (Read 406 times)

Offline jamesuaeTopic starter

SDS804X HD
« on: September 23, 2024, 07:14:20 pm »
Hello

I have been getting into making eurorack modules and synthesisers over the last few years and want to get a decent Oscilloscope. I like the sounds of the SDS804X HD but honestly don't know enough to make sure I am making the right purchase. Will this be good enough for testing my modules?

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Re: SDS804X HD
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2024, 09:00:29 pm »
To do that, you would have to explain exactly what you want to test and how.

"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline jamesuaeTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2024, 05:45:57 am »
I would want to test things like oscillators outputs, noise signals, lfo's.

For example I'm building a replica 909 at the moment and one of the circuits requires testing at 500mV/DIV 0.1s//DIV.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2024, 06:08:26 am »
The SDS804X HD will be more than good enough to meet your requirements. In fact, a cheaper scope would do the job.

But if your budget allows, buying a scope in this class still makes good sense: The 12-bit resolution will allow you to look at analog noise in some detail, which may come in handy. And if you include digital ICs in your designs at some point -- e.g. I²C-controlled audio ICs -- the four channels and protocol decoding capability may be very useful.

The Siglent SDS800X HD series are great scopes, packing a lot of functionality in a small package. I have one myself and am very happy with it. But if this will be your first "proper" scope, it may be a bit overwhelming. You might also want to consider the Rigol DHO800 series, which is more beginner-friendly due to its user interface:

To set up input channels, triggering, decoding etc., the Rigol scope displays large dialogs on the touchscreen which show all relevant parameters and options at a glance. The Siglent scopes use side-panel menus which take less space, but often require multiple nested menus to set up all parameters. So it takes some hunting to find the relevant entry, and it is easier to overlook a relevant setting.

Some people also like the even smaller package of the DHO800 -- be it for carrying it around or for mounting it on a VESA monitor arm to save space on the bench -- and like the USB-C power jack which enables mobile use with a (large) power bank. Others complain that the scope feels too fiddly and don't like the external power supply. Also, some users love Rigol's somewhat playful GUI and others hate it...

Take a look -- at least at some Youtube videos of either scope if you can't see them live, and decide what you prefer. Functionality-wise, both the Rigol and the Siglent will do everything you need and more.

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2024, 05:58:26 pm »
Hello,

a Siglent SDS804X HD is certainly a good device for your requirements, as far as I understand them.

But perhaps an Analog Discovery 3 would be better suited for your applications.
The small memory is not so limiting for applications below about 100 kHz because the Analog Discovery 3 can also stream.

Best regards
egonotto

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2024, 06:05:06 pm »
The best tool for audio besides a scope is something like the QA403 audio analyzer: https://quantasylum.com/products/qa403-audio-analyzer
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf