Author Topic: SDS800X HD Software Gripes  (Read 498 times)

Offline MildInductorTopic starter

• Contributor
SDS800X HD Software Gripes
« on: May 31, 2024, 06:57:41 am »
Does anyone find the software on the SDS800X units to be a tad annoying? While I don’t usually care about small details such as capitalisation, the fact that the ‘on’ and ‘off’ buttons of the GUI are lowercase compared to all other GUI components is really annoying. It gives the unit an unpolished look in my opinion. I wish Siglent would update the software to fix this. My second annoyance is to do with the side bar that pops up when you hit the ‘measure’ key (many other keys have the same issues I am about to describe). I wish that rather than popping up a side bar menu along with showing the measurements it would just show the measurements then have you click the ‘MEASURE’ button to bring up the menu. Every time I go to activate the measure function 20% of the horizontal screen realestate is removed by the menu. I then either have to wait a minimum of 3 seconds for it to remove itself from the screen, or I have to click the ‘MEASURE’ button to hide the menu manually.

Overall I think the unit is of amazing quality and capability for the price. It would just be nice if they could fix these few things… 😆

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: SDS800X HD Software Gripes
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2024, 07:03:17 am »
Please always state firmware version in use.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2024, 07:07:16 am »
Why does it feel like everyone has to open a separate thread for every question/“problem” instead of using the existing ones... ::)
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Jacon, KungFuJosh

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2024, 12:03:17 pm »
The firmware is the latest at V1.1.3.6. The 'on'/'off' lowercase complaint is really just a styling annoyance, making the software look cheap IMO (the older DSO models such as the SDS1104X had good case styling). It makes me laugh a little bit writing this because it is a minor thing, but I think it would be nice if it would be addressed to be 'On'/'Off' (title case).

The second point of the menu popup behaviour being annoying is probably more important. Like I said, when activating the measurement function from the hardware button the measurement menu comes up on the screen. Due to the small size of the display almost 20% of the display is gone. One has to wait 3s for the menu to automatically go away, or manually dismiss it by touching the screen. I would propose that the measurement button should not bring up the measurement menu when clicked, and that the user should have to click the 'MEASUREMENT' button on the touch screen if they want to access the menu. Note that when I say measurement menu I mean the configuration settings for the measurement function, not the actual measurement text that comes up... it is obviously good that the measurement text comes up when you hit the measure button ;D

You asked what other people think? My 2 c..

on/off is consistently same case on every single on/off item I cared to look at. After about a dozen I checked, I gave up.

So it is consistent.
But I agree. It should be ON/OFF.
Which incidentally will reduce boot time to 5 seconds, and BW to 400Mhz.
Not.

Who cares? Is this really only thing you have to report? This is something to be FIXed? Why? What is the defect?
I searched on the Google, and nowadays it is mostly just stupid Apple power icon (with no text) or on/off or ON/OFF as customary. So Siglent is within current state of what is considered mainstream. Nobody is using On/Off...

Side bar is THE menu for everything. This pops up so you can choose here options you need.
Are you letting us know you plan to "redesign" whole user interface?
I mean, fine, if that makes you happy..
But don't expect anybody to go in and rewrite a scope platform because you personally don't like it...

And also use the scope for 6 months before proposing "better" solution.
One data point: the way GUI is made is such so you can use scope without any buttons.
Buttons are only shortcuts into place in a menu.

I would suggest investing your time into learning to use the scope for measurements and if you find an error in functioning report that.

And please don't become eTobey 2.0 (actually 3.0 because in meantime he is now 2.0) and open topic for every single little thing you think you need to say to the word. There are (too) many already opened topics for this.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2024, 01:50:31 pm »
Doesn't setting the menus to Floating change that behavior?
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf