Author Topic: SDS800X HD Wanted Features  (Read 535845 times)

Offline electronics hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread
Re: SDS800X HD Bugs/Wanted Features
« Reply #250 on: April 02, 2024, 02:19:44 pm »
The sales volume of SDS800X HD on Taobao in China is two to three times that of DHO800, and the word of mouth is also very good. Currently, a large part of the problems found are low priority issues, which do not affect usage.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #251 on: April 02, 2024, 03:37:03 pm »
Bug:
SMB Client does not autoconnect. My setup includes a TP-Link TL-WR802N N300 WLAN Nano Router.
It does work when i connecting manually.

I did not reproduce this issue. I connected through an Ethernet cable and after a power outage and restart, I was able to directly open the remote mounting path directory.
It may be due to differences in the network environment.

I have the same problem as eTobey: Auto-connect for the SMB Client does not work. After power-cycling the scope, it has remembered all the SMB details (path, user, password), but I need to open the Utility > Menu > Service > SMB File Share > Client dialog and press "Connect" to manually re-establish the connection.

The SMB Server will restart automatically. This is my preferred way of exchanging data anyway: I can save files locally at any time, even when the computer is not running or the scope is not on the network, and pick them up later when I am at my computer.

So the client auto-connect is not a big deal for me personally, but it seems to have a problem under some boundary conditions which we have not figured out yet.

EDIT: My scope is also connected via a WiFi bridge. But I kept the bridge powered on while power-cycling the scope, so the network connection was present right at boot time. @eTobey, @electronics hobbyist: Are you using SMB with user credentials or anonymous? I have a username and password assigned since my server requires them. Maybe that plays a role in getting a successful auto-connect or failing to do so?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 03:46:21 pm by ebastler »

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #252 on: April 02, 2024, 03:47:11 pm »
Maybe it is related: on my site, the scope is not auto-connecting to the ntp-server. The scope remembers all settings, does connect manually fine, just not auto connecting.

Bug:
SMB Client does not autoconnect. My setup includes a TP-Link TL-WR802N N300 WLAN Nano Router.
It does work when i connecting manually.

I did not reproduce this issue. I connected through an Ethernet cable and after a power outage and restart, I was able to directly open the remote mounting path directory.
It may be due to differences in the network environment.

I have the same problem as eTobey: Auto-connect for the SMB Client does not work. After power-cycling the scope, it has remembered all the SMB details (path, user, password), but I need to open the Utility > Menu > Service > SMB File Share > Client dialog and press "Connect" to manually re-establish the connection.

The SMB Server will restart automatically. This is my preferred way of exchanging data anyway: I can save files locally at any time, even when the computer is not running or the scope is not on the network, and pick them up later when I am at my computer.

So the client auto-connect is not a big deal for me personally, but it seems to have a problem under some boundary conditions which we have not figured out yet.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #253 on: April 02, 2024, 03:55:54 pm »
Maybe it is related: on my site, the scope is not auto-connecting to the ntp-server. The scope remembers all settings, does connect manually fine, just not auto connecting.

NTP auto-connects fine for me -- even when the WiFi bridge at the bench is powered up together with the scope, and gets ready a bit later than the scope. In that case, the scope automatically retries the NTP connection about a minute after it has completed its boot process, and then displays the correct date and time.

As mentioned, the SMB server also starts up automatically -- so it seems like my network is largely "playing nice" with the scope. It's just the SMB client which does not like it.

I will drag the scope over to the main router later today and see whether that makes any difference...

The following users thanked this post: RAPo

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #254 on: April 02, 2024, 04:06:18 pm »
I do alot of RS485 serial decoding on an SDS2000X HD, and one of the things I miss that the older R&S RTB2004 it replaced had was the ability to show the entire "message" as a single frame/packet, and not as single bytes in a list, like the Siglents does it.

Is there a way to have the bus table look like the RTB2004 that grouts the received data in "frames" rather than filling a list I have to scroll through?

In case someone wants to see what this looks like on the RTB/RTM (40 seconds starting at time 3:12)

https://youtu.be/f13LbYHCOss?t=192
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #255 on: April 02, 2024, 04:13:34 pm »
In case someone wants to see what this looks like on the RTB/RTM (40 seconds starting at time 3:12)

Thanks! Does the RTB expect an "inter-frame timeout" parameter as a user input, or does it set that automatically, say based on the time it takes to transmit a character?

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #256 on: April 02, 2024, 04:34:05 pm »
In my situation I connect via LAN and the main router. Will test tomorrow if I should be a bit more patient.

NTP auto-connects fine for me -- even when the WiFi bridge at the bench is powered up together with the scope, and gets ready a bit later than the scope. In that case, the scope automatically retries the NTP connection about a minute after it has completed its boot process, and then displays the correct date and time.

As mentioned, the SMB server also starts up automatically -- so it seems like my network is largely "playing nice" with the scope. It's just the SMB client which does not like it.

I will drag the scope over to the main router later today and see whether that makes any difference...

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #257 on: April 02, 2024, 04:35:49 pm »
I do alot of RS485 serial decoding on an SDS2000X HD, and one of the things I miss that the older R&S RTB2004 it replaced had was the ability to show the entire "message" as a single frame/packet, and not as single bytes in a list, like the Siglents does it.

Is there a way to have the bus table look like the RTB2004 that grouts the received data in "frames" rather than filling a list I have to scroll through?

Thank you for the help.

I think Siglent will be very honored that we are here comparing their cheapest 12 bit offering with 10k USD scopes...

The following users thanked this post: Bad_Driver

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #258 on: April 02, 2024, 06:07:27 pm »
Thanks! Does the RTB expect an "inter-frame timeout" parameter as a user input, or does it set that automatically, say based on the time it takes to transmit a character?

On the RTx scopes there's an "idle time" parameter the defines the minimum time between two frames.
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #259 on: April 02, 2024, 06:10:55 pm »
I think Siglent will be very honored that we are here comparing their cheapest 12 bit offering with 10k USD scopes...

The RTB2000 starts at under 2k USD :)  And we frequently have discounts or promotions.

You can get our brand new 12 bit scope (with 4.5 million waveforms per second - fastest of any scope at any price) for under 10k.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #260 on: April 02, 2024, 06:49:50 pm »

I tried the direct Ethernet connection to my router now -- but it does not change the fact that the SMB client does not auto-connect when the scope reboots. But I probably figured out what actually makes the difference between eTobey's & my non-working setup and electronics hobbyist's working one:

To make the SMB client auto-connect, use a fixed IP address in your scope. I had previously set my LAN config to "Automatic" (DHCP) and instructed my router to always assign the same IP address to the scope. Unchecking the "Automatic" checkbox lets the scope use that same address going forward, but now the SMB client auto-connects as it should. Also works via the WiFi setup I use at the bench.

EDIT: But the auto-connect via WiFi only works if the WiFi connection is already up and running when the scope completes its bootstrap. So it seems that the SMB auto-connect is tried only once, right at boot, and if the IP connection is not fully set up, it fails. Would be nice if the Siglent software team could implement a retry once the network connection is fully established, like they apparently did for NTP.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 07:09:11 pm by ebastler »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Electro Fan, egonotto, 2N3055, electronics hobbyist

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #261 on: April 02, 2024, 06:52:12 pm »

The RTB2000 starts at under 2k USD :)  And we frequently have discounts or promotions.

You can get our brand new 12 bit scope (with 4.5 million waveforms per second - fastest of any scope at any price) for under 10k.

No thanks! I'd rather get the 2GHz MXO 5 with all the options. How much will that cost me? 😉
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #262 on: April 02, 2024, 07:17:07 pm »
Hello,

in the summary at the end of:
"Analyzing UART with the R&S RTM3000"
is not an RTM3000 but an RTB2000.
And if I see right, even a two-channel type.

Best regards
egonotto

« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 07:19:04 pm by egonotto »

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #263 on: April 02, 2024, 07:30:45 pm »

I tried the direct Ethernet connection to my router now -- but it does not change the fact that the SMB client does not auto-connect when the scope reboots. But I probably figured out what actually makes the difference between eTobey's & my non-working setup and electronics hobbyist's working one:

To make the SMB client auto-connect, use a fixed IP address in your scope. I had previously set my LAN config to "Automatic" (DHCP) and instructed my router to always assign the same IP address to the scope. Unchecking the "Automatic" checkbox lets the scope use that same address going forward, but now the SMB client auto-connects as it should. Also works via the WiFi setup I use at the bench.

EDIT: But the auto-connect via WiFi only works if the WiFi connection is already up and running when the scope completes its bootstrap. So it seems that the SMB auto-connect is tried only once, right at boot, and if the IP connection is not fully set up, it fails. Would be nice if the Siglent software team could implement a retry once the network connection is fully established, like they apparently did for NTP.
Very nice analysis.
Will pass on a suggestion.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, ebastler

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #264 on: April 02, 2024, 08:33:09 pm »

RTB/RTM are very nice scopes. And so is MXO4.

But those are prices without any options.. Once you include segmented mode, decodes, bode plot,  you are talking north of 3500€ for RTB2004 /200MHz
All of those options (and 200 MHz BW) are included in SDS824xHD for 830 € (with VAT)....

Of course, RTB2000 has bigger screen, built in MSO and AWG option... But I don't think they are really directly comparable, on price alone..
More direct comparison would be with SDS2000xHD...

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #265 on: April 02, 2024, 08:49:33 pm »
Would you PLEASE stop that offtopic  :blah: ??
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #266 on: April 02, 2024, 09:12:31 pm »
Will you please stop being rude, obnoxious vulgarian ?

The following users thanked this post: newbrain, KungFuJosh

Online Martin72Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #267 on: April 02, 2024, 09:30:20 pm »
Hi,

Date/Time Setting:

Setting the correct time and date, confirm it with "modify time/date", time and date will be correctly displayed in the lower right corner.
After restart, the settings are lost (1970/1/1 1:00).

"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #268 on: April 02, 2024, 09:33:15 pm »
Hi,

Date/Time Setting:

Setting the correct time and date, confirm it with "modify time/date", time and date will be correctly displayed in the lower right corner.
Correct....with Manual time/date settings.

This is why NTP is so important however you do need a interweb connection which would be so much easier if WiFi was supported.  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #269 on: April 02, 2024, 09:42:09 pm »
This is why NTP is so important

It is important that every available function works properly.
If I set the time and date manually, I expect it to work.

(Kierkegaard)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #270 on: April 02, 2024, 09:50:04 pm »

But how do you expect the scope to keep the time when off, without a battery-buffered RTC? I don't think it would be desirable if it saved the most recent date and time and restarts from that. Better make it very visible that the time is not valid.

Have you managed to get NTP going on your scope (or in your network environment) in the meantime? As mentioned earlier, I find Siglent's implementation to be pretty robust -- it retries, apparently multiple times, if the network is not up yet when then scope has booted. If it should not work for you, maybe we can try and troubleshoot via PM.

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #271 on: April 02, 2024, 10:03:42 pm »
But how do you expect the scope to keep the time when off, without a battery-buffered RTC?
I'm getting a headache right now...
I've never had a scope, no matter how expensive or cheap, that couldn't keep this data (if it had a time/date setting).
A manual setting makes sense if you are not connected to the network and I don't always want to have it connected to the network.

(Kierkegaard)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #272 on: April 02, 2024, 10:14:58 pm »
But how do you expect the scope to keep the time when off, without a battery-buffered RTC?
I'm getting a headache right now...
I've never had a scope, no matter how expensive or cheap, that couldn't keep this data (if it had a time/date setting).
A manual setting makes sense if you are not connected to the network and I don't always want to have it connected to the network.

I thought the DHO800 didn't have an RTC or battery either?

Or do Rigol manage to keep the clock going during standby, as long as you don't physically cut the power? That's a little disappointment with Siglent -- 4W of standby power don't get you any buffering during standby. They could have implemented time-keeping and fast restart from standby.

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #273 on: April 02, 2024, 10:35:10 pm »
I had switched on the SDS1104X-E earlier and set the time/date - however, after pressing the "Confirm" button, a message is displayed stating that the data must be entered again at the next start.
This was new to me, I had never thought about the fact that a device might not have an RTC because it is not that expensive.
But now, I learn something new every day. ;)

(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, KungFuJosh

Offline electronics hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread
« Reply #274 on: April 03, 2024, 12:57:22 am »

These discussions are all triggered by Wanted Features, and this is a normal discussion. Welcome everyone to express various opinions, such as
1. How other companies implement this feature in their products
2. Using one's own professional knowledge to view a certain issue
3. Explain your testing scenario and propose whether the product meets the requirements
4. Share testing experience in one's own field

Actually, I'm not afraid this post is long, as long as there is as much useful information as possible.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 01:44:32 am by electronics hobbyist »

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, Performa01, egonotto, core, radiohomebrewer2000

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf