Author Topic: SDS800X HD Bug Reports + Firmware  (Read 22905 times)

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: SDS800X HD Bug Reports + Firmware
« Reply #200 on: September 21, 2024, 12:41:30 pm »
I saw this bug with 1.1.3.8 (and possibly earlier version, do not recall right now) so hopefully it will be included in next FW releases. Good to know it is acknowledged.
I know it is usability bug, nothing too critical. But it gets in the way very often.

It is only important when it was discovered and reported because that is the moment when someone can start fixing it.

And no need for apologetics. Bug is a bug, so fixing is in order. Criticality only applies to urgency.
As for how impactful it is, that will highly depend of what you do and how you use it.
It only obviously shows when you apply quite large offsets, and pay attention. I personally didn't notice, and I had the  scope much earlier than you...
I still see many people using these scopes without axis scales on...

But luckily, we are not all the same and everybody contributes some new value..

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
    • Virtual feature script
« Reply #201 on: September 21, 2024, 05:59:22 pm »
I would not mind too much, of beeing used as a beta tester, as there are many functions for not so much money, but the bugs should be fixed ASAP then.  The grid is still not aligned with the numbers, which is REALLY BAD. That should have been fixed already.  >:(
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
    • Virtual feature script
« Reply #202 on: September 22, 2024, 07:00:25 pm »
Jeez, this thing is really naughty again (again). Two things at the same time. Tried to look for the file with the most recent date, but couldnt find it. Found out, that the time does not work of unknown reason! It worked before, but just not now.  |O

And then the next thing: loaded my mask, but now the level is wrong (see picture).

All those features, but ....

EDIT:
Wanted to move the level to fit the mask, it jumped back into the right position...  ::)
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
    • Virtual feature script
« Reply #203 on: September 22, 2024, 07:18:59 pm »
Wtf is this? Another issues appeared! The trigger is odd. When the level is at 151V, it triggers just fine on a 3.3V level pulse! Something must have crashed in the software, without an obvious sign.
https://youtu.be/22_viJaxcTI
https://youtu.be/99HdnPxrwTo

EDIT:
Issue dissapeared after restart. Scacle and position (maybe more?) of the problem channel changed though.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2024, 08:27:27 pm by eTobey »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #204 on: September 22, 2024, 08:45:08 pm »
Jeez, this thing is really naughty again (again). Two things at the same time. Tried to look for the file with the most recent date, but couldnt find it. Found out, that the time does not work of unknown reason! It worked before, but just not now.  |O

And then the next thing: loaded my mask, but now the level is wrong (see picture).

EDIT:
Wanted to move the level to fit the mask, it jumped back into the right position...  ::)
You should know better by now and post the FW version in use and the steps to reliably recreate any claimed bug.

All user error so let's break them down into the 3 issues and list them each.
1. As can be clearly seen NTP has not synced.
2. Loading a Setup and then a saved Mask may have been more successful.
3. You can't move a Mask.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2024, 09:42:48 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline housemartin

« Reply #205 on: September 22, 2024, 09:21:48 pm »
Whats the firmware update procedure?
Is it risky, can it brick your scope?
Simple via USB and the .ADS file from Siglent firmware download packages.
Done 100’s and never bricked a unit.

Latest for all SDS800X HD models is here:
https://int.siglent.com/download/firmwares/?ProId=74

You can also do the firmware via the web interface...

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #206 on: September 22, 2024, 09:37:22 pm »
Wtf is this? Another issues appeared! The trigger is odd. When the level is at 151V, it triggers just fine on a 3.3V level pulse! Something must have crashed in the software, without an obvious sign.

EDIT:
Issue dissapeared after restart. Scacle and position (maybe more?) of the problem channel changed though.

I tried.

Channel 1 was set at 10x probe and 5V/div, 13V offset . Trigger set to pulse, negative. 1ms timeout. 1MPts, 20ms/div, time delay 1.25s, 5 MSa/s. 4 CH used.

I cannot reproduce (with data you published) neither 151V trig level (you cannot enter more than 7,5V with knob or keyboard) and Pulse-> Trigger level works normally.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #207 on: September 22, 2024, 10:49:35 pm »
I think the only way to fix those "bugs" is to have Siglent do some onsite training sessions. 😉
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: Martin72, Wrenches of Death, jasonquin

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
    • Virtual feature script
« Reply #208 on: September 23, 2024, 05:59:44 am »

EDIT:
You should know better by now and post the FW version in use and the steps to reliably recreate any claimed bug.

All user error so let's break them down into the 3 issues and list them each.
1. As can be clearly seen NTP has not synced.
2. Loading a Setup and then a saved Mask may have been more successful.
3. You can't move a Mask.

Where did i say the B-word? Of course its the current firmware 1.1.3.8
Yes NTP has obvioulsy not beeing synced. The reason is the scope failed to do so! I testet it before, and it worked, even with having the NTP server on AFTER the scope started.  :palm:
I meant the level of the signal of course.

This morning again, the CH1 settings were lost/changed. But at least the NTP server worked.

I am really tired of trying to reproduce issues, when they are rather hard to reproduce. One of the reason is you guys denying it, and letting me look bad, and the other is, that it will propably not beeing fixed by siglent in the near future as it seems. Just the grid not aligning is the best example. Should be an easy fix, but it hasnt been fixed. And this is a "cheap chinese device bug"...  :--
« Last Edit: September 23, 2024, 06:04:38 am by eTobey »

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
    • Virtual feature script
« Reply #209 on: September 23, 2024, 06:06:22 am »

EDIT:

I tried.

Channel 1 was set at 10x probe and 5V/div, 13V offset . Trigger set to pulse, negative. 1ms timeout. 1MPts, 20ms/div, time delay 1.25s, 5 MSa/s. 4 CH used.

I cannot reproduce (with data you published) neither 151V trig level (you cannot enter more than 7,5V with knob or keyboard) and Pulse-> Trigger level works normally.
If the user cant enter more than 7.5V trigger level, but the picture shows 151V, then it can be classified as a bug?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #210 on: September 23, 2024, 07:54:33 am »

EDIT:

I tried.

If the user cant enter more than 7.5V trigger level, but the picture shows 151V, then it can be classified as a bug?

It can be classified as a photo with a number on it.

Look, don't start again. You are making drama about things that are supposed to be facts.

I didn't DISPUTE anything you say. I took your post seriously and I went and tried to reproduce.
I could NOT, based on information you gave.

That is all I said. If you can give us more info how you confused scope to show you that error, maybe somebody will be able to reproduce. And then we have something to report.

In meantime, what CAN we report to Siglent? If they cannot catch it happening how are they going to troubleshoot? What are they going to troubleshoot?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #211 on: September 23, 2024, 08:05:46 am »
I agree. There obviously is a bug: The trigger threshold gets displayed as 151 V, which is supposed to be well out of range and which is not the real threshold value applied. But we need to know more about the steps which preceded this -- ideally a step-by-step sequence that provokes the bug, or if that is not available, as much detail as possible on "what did I do before".

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
    • Virtual feature script
« Reply #212 on: September 23, 2024, 08:21:58 am »

EDIT:

I tried.

It can be classified as a photo with a number on it.

Look, don't start again. You are making drama about things that are supposed to be facts.

I didn't DISPUTE anything you say. I took your post seriously and I went and tried to reproduce.
I could NOT, based on information you gave.

That is all I said. If you can give us more info how you confused scope to show you that error, maybe somebody will be able to reproduce. And then we have something to report.

In meantime, what CAN we report to Siglent? If they cannot catch it happening how are they going to troubleshoot? What are they going to troubleshoot?

What is your bloody problem? There was a question that could be answered with "yes" or "no", but you make a dram out of it, and telling me to not start something? I am not starting anything, i am documenting issues (if you dont like the b-word).

As for Siglent:
There would be a possibility to implement plausible catches, that would catch this bug and then save debug data...

Online voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #213 on: September 23, 2024, 09:17:45 am »

The videos demonstrate the issue. Reporting this alone can lead to a fix, if the firmware engineer reviews the relevant code and then see's how it could get into such a fault state. Yes, it is better to have a sequence of events to reproduce the fault, but sometimes that is just not possible, especially with the complexity of modern firmware.

The following users thanked this post: eTobey

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #214 on: September 23, 2024, 10:57:00 am »

The videos demonstrate the issue. Reporting this alone can lead to a fix, if the firmware engineer reviews the relevant code and then see's how it could get into such a fault state. Yes, it is better to have a sequence of events to reproduce the fault, but sometimes that is just not possible, especially with the complexity of modern firmware.

Video demonstrates nothing.

It shows screen with some weird numbers.

It was not explained what he was doing to achieve that state. It can be fake video for all we know (which I'm not saying it is), until someone replicates steps.

I said that I took it seriously, performed investigation, tried several ways of doing things and nothing.
He himself cannot reproduce it.

So what do we report? Pretty please  magical fix to something that happened once to one person out of 10s of thousands ?

I will repeat: I do not contest he had something happen.
But what do we do: go to service, give the car keys and say: "I am not happy, while I was driving something happened. Please fix it!!"

Offline watchmaker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
« Reply #215 on: September 23, 2024, 11:24:26 am »
Two requests:

Ability to select colors for channel and math traces.  This would also improve usability for the those with visual color impairments.

Also, and I know this has been mentioned earlier, but it would be real nice if the Math Function was mouse selectable.  On the screen bottom maybe??

Regards,

Dewey
Regards,

Dewey

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #216 on: September 23, 2024, 11:57:03 am »
Two requests:

Ability to select colors for channel and math traces.  This would also improve usability for the those with visual color impairments.

Also, and I know this has been mentioned earlier, but it would be real nice if the Math Function was mouse selectable.  On the screen bottom maybe??

Regards,

Dewey

Hi.

800xHD is simplest touchscope they make. AFAIK custom colors are not planned.

As for math channels, if you click on (+) at bottom to make a new channel, you can create math channel there directly.
If Math channel is already active, clicking to on it brings Math menu back. Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2024, 12:03:46 pm by 2N3055 »

The following users thanked this post: watchmaker

Offline watchmaker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
« Reply #217 on: September 23, 2024, 11:59:21 am »
 :-+ :-+ ^

THANKS!
Regards,

Dewey

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline awakephd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #218 on: September 23, 2024, 09:30:50 pm »
Is there a way to configure the 804 not to ask for confirmation when the Auto key is pressed? If not, it is certainly not a bug, but it is a wish - or at least, I would like to be able to turn that confirmation off. Not sure if others would like this as well. Or if I just haven't yet figured out how to turn it off!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #219 on: September 23, 2024, 09:38:03 pm »
Is there a way to configure the 804 not to ask for confirmation when the Auto key is pressed? If not, it is certainly not a bug, but it is a wish - or at least, I would like to be able to turn that confirmation off. Not sure if others would like this as well. Or if I just haven't yet figured out how to turn it off!
Well take this as you like....don't use it !

Alternatives are:
Configuring your own User Default.
Saving and recalling preferred Setups.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #220 on: September 23, 2024, 09:43:34 pm »
Does hitting the button a second time bypass the confirmation?
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #221 on: September 23, 2024, 09:51:17 pm »

I had suggested the custom colors for the SDS2000Xplus at the time and also “got” them.
The SDS800X HD has two extras that the SDS2000Xplus did not get for performance reasons: 4 math channels and digital filters.
So it seems that the 800X HD is not that simple, an implementation of custom colors seems possible from that point of view - just not wanted, for obvious reasons.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #222 on: September 23, 2024, 10:04:57 pm »

I had suggested the custom colors for the SDS2000Xplus at the time and also “got” them.
The SDS800X HD has two extras that the SDS2000Xplus did not get for performance reasons: 4 math channels and digital filters.
So it seems that the 800X HD is not that simple, an implementation of custom colors seems possible from that point of view - just not wanted, for obvious reasons.
SDS1000X HD also doesn't support custom colors and I suspect that will remain as a point of difference between 800 and 1k models vs 2k+ models.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Cyclotron

• Contributor
« Reply #223 on: September 24, 2024, 02:19:23 am »
Does hitting the button a second time bypass the confirmation?

Yes, second push does for me. And pushing and holding it will jump past the confirmation.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Online eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
    • Virtual feature script
« Reply #224 on: September 24, 2024, 06:57:19 am »
Video demonstrates nothing.

Only to fanyboys. Others have an objective view.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf