Author Topic: SDS800X HD Bug Reports + Firmware  (Read 22899 times)

Online Furna

• Regular Contributor
  • I still don't know
Re: SDS800X HD Bug Reports + Firmware
« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2024, 08:27:52 pm »
I wonder, is it a bug, or do i have a defective unit? I would really appreciate it if one of you fine gentlemen could fire up your scope and test it. If not, i'll just see myself out. I realize i'm in the SDS800X HD Bug Reports + Firmware thread, and not the SDS800X HD Could You Test This For Me thread.

How could it be a defective unit? The beeper is working, the knobs are working ...

I confirm Kaylan finding.

Version: 1.1.3.8
Device: SDS824X HD

How to reproduce:
- enable beeper in System Settings
- veryfy the beeper is working (press a button i.e. zoom)
- turn Horizontal knowb
- verify the beeper is not working anymore (press a button i.e. zoom)
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Offline Kaylan

• Contributor
« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2024, 09:22:16 pm »

I have the same version on the SDS812X HD. Seems like we have a valid bug on our hands. 

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2024, 09:35:21 pm »

I wonder, is it a bug, or do i have a defective unit? I would really appreciate it if one of you fine gentlemen could fire up your scope and test it. If not, i'll just see myself out. I realize i'm in the SDS800X HD Bug Reports + Firmware thread, and not the SDS800X HD Could You Test This For Me thread.

Nothing wrong with politely asking for help. You did right. This is exactly how this works..

Funny thing, there is a bug here. Fact is that it should not beep at all when pressing keys.

Beep is for touch screen, and some time ago an intrusive beep was replaced with clicks similar to what you have on phones.
As a tactile feedback, which is not really needed for physical buttons or encoders.

None of the other touch Siglent ever make a sound when pressing on physical keys.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2024, 10:01:50 pm »

I have the same version on the SDS812X HD. Seems like we have a valid bug on our hands.
Possible bug report and this ^^^ is what we always need when reporting such.

Yep, confirm this bug displays inconsistent beeper behaviour.
LOL, never noticed this one as don't require audible feedback when I change settings.

2N3055, do you wish to report this ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #179 on: September 14, 2024, 10:04:26 pm »

LOL, never noticed this one as don't require audible feedback when I change settings.

I can.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Kaylan

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #180 on: September 14, 2024, 10:19:42 pm »

I can.
Actually, we should check other models too to see if it's only particular to SDS800X HD.
Flick me mail and I have some you don't to confirm.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
    • Virtual feature script
« Reply #181 on: September 15, 2024, 08:53:40 pm »
I can not reproduce this bug. I got  814X 1.1.3.8... You guys must do something wrong.
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: September 15, 2024, 08:58:38 pm »
I can not reproduce this bug. I got  814X 1.1.3.8... You guys I must do something wrong.
FTFY
I may have just found a bug and need help confirming it. Today i noticed that the beeping sound when pushing buttons/knobs on my scope will stop working after any of the knobs are turned. As long as you don't turn the knobs, the beeper works. Using the touch screen will not affect the beeping, only turning any of the knobs. Then the only way to get the beeping to work again is to reboot. Going to Utility - Menu - System Settings and cycling the beeper on and off will not restore the beeping sound. This is really bugging me... No pun intended.
See highlighted.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
    • Virtual feature script
« Reply #183 on: September 16, 2024, 07:03:36 am »
Just to clarify things:
- The word "beeping" means a sound, that is more like a click?
- This sound should be heard when pushing physical buttons?

I never hear a sound when pushing buttons.

Since buttons and knobs have physical feedback, than this is not an issue.
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: September 16, 2024, 08:23:15 am »
Just to clarify things:
- The word "beeping" means a sound, that is more like a click?
Yes.
- This sound should be heard when pushing physical buttons?
Yes immediately after boot if beeper/sound is set to ON.
This is not consistent to all models.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #185 on: September 16, 2024, 10:49:49 am »

As 2N3055 explained, *not* hearing a sound from the physical buttons would be the desired behaviour. But I can reproduce the effect described by Kaylan and others on my SDS814X HD, and would be surprised if you cannot:

- In the System Settings, choose "Beeper ON".
- All taps on the touch screen will produce a short clicking noise -- fine.
- All presses of physical buttons will produce a longer beep -- not ok.
- After the first operation of an encoder knob, the buttons go silent, but the touch-screen clicks are still there. That's the desired behaviour.
- After shutting down and restarting the scope, the beeps are back (until the first encoder operation).

This doesn't affect me at all since I have the beeper disabled anyway. But it's a strange little bug -- makes you wonder what kind of internal state machine is at work there, and why...

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #186 on: September 16, 2024, 11:00:34 am »

As 2N3055 explained, *not* hearing a sound from the physical buttons would be the desired behaviour. But I can reproduce the effect described by Kaylan and others on my SDS814X HD, and would be surprised if you cannot:

- After the first operation of an encoder knob, the buttons go silent, but the touch-screen clicks are still there. That's the desired behaviour.
- After shutting down and restarting the scope, the beeps are back (until the first encoder operation).

This doesn't affect me at all since I have the beeper disabled anyway. But it's a strange little bug -- makes you wonder what kind of internal state machine is at work there, and why...
Yep, but still a minor bug that brings inconsistency into the product range.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #187 on: September 16, 2024, 12:46:43 pm »

Reported..

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, Furna, Kaylan

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #188 on: September 16, 2024, 08:39:31 pm »

Reported..
Added to and with a feature request for more/additional options to manage Sounds.....
« Last Edit: September 16, 2024, 08:41:22 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline awakephd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #189 on: September 17, 2024, 12:19:15 am »
Rob, if I recall correctly, sometimes you have advance notice that a firmware update is "coming real soon now." Is there any such indication at this time?

I'm not in any hurry, as everything is working as well as my newbie experience can use. Just curious ...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: September 17, 2024, 01:49:21 am »
Rob, if I recall correctly, sometimes you have advance notice that a firmware update is "coming real soon now." Is there any such indication at this time?
Currently Mid Autumn festival so zip happening at HQ.

I don't so much get notice however as beta tester and private forum member I get to see and test beta firmware from time to time before it goes public.

Do you have a issue you wish to raise ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Kaylan

• Contributor
« Reply #191 on: September 17, 2024, 02:28:17 am »
Reported..

Thanks for taking care of that for us 2N3055.

Added to and with a feature request for more/additional options to manage Sounds.....

That would be nice, thanks.

I don't so much get notice however as beta tester and private forum member I get to see and test beta firmware from time to time before it goes public.

Bummer, i cant wait to get a new firmware update. These scopes are relatively young and seem to have quite a few kinks to iron out.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your help. I'm glad i could finally do something helpful with my scope. That is if you can consider getting rid of inconsistent beeping a form of help :-DD
I'll try to keep an eye on this thread, i'm here to help test if you need me.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #192 on: September 17, 2024, 02:47:16 am »
Bummer, i cant wait to get a new firmware update. These scopes are relatively young and seem to have quite a few kinks to iron out.
Please list them, the firmware version, how they can be replicated and expected/preferred behaviour.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #193 on: September 17, 2024, 07:08:48 am »
Reported..

Thanks for taking care of that for us 2N3055.

That would be nice, thanks.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your help. I'm glad i could finally do something helpful with my scope. That is if you can consider getting rid of inconsistent beeping a form of help :-DD
I'll try to keep an eye on this thread, i'm here to help test if you need me.

Not a problem.

As for kinks, this particular model is cca 6 months old and already received 2 official releases which did "iron out" all known functional bugs known at this time. Since last update, no bugs were reported, this one about beeps is first one in few months time and is not even a real bug in a sense that it does not impact function, accuracy, safety or security..

Compared to Keysight, R&S Rigol and others that release unfinished scopes, I would say at this moment Siglent is actually industry leader in releasing scopes that are functionally complete at release and speed and effort of fixing important/critical issues if/when they occur...
Interesting, right?

As for Rob's comment "new FW is in making", well, new FW is always in the making....
That does not necessarily mean it's release is imminent or that it won't be respined and that particular version will never be released at all.
All in do time.

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
    • Virtual feature script
« Reply #194 on: September 17, 2024, 04:28:29 pm »

Reported..

I wish the bugs issues that i found would get this amount of attention...  ::)

Just ran into the bug, that the navigations (history) "continiues-go-through-the-list run" is stopped, when the menu automatically closes...  ::). I cant remember if that was one i already posted...

Offline awakephd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #195 on: September 19, 2024, 02:55:42 pm »
Thanks! No, I have no issues to report. As I said, just curious. Thus far, the problems I have run into have all turned out to be user (newbie) error. :)

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, KungFuJosh

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
    • Virtual feature script
« Reply #196 on: September 21, 2024, 07:38:31 am »
... Thus far, the problems I have run into have all turned out to be user (newbie) error. :)

I wish i could say the same. But only a small portion was user error and i am left behind semi-satisfied. Allthough, some issues have been fixed, which i am be thankful for, others still exist.

Online electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #197 on: September 21, 2024, 11:10:36 am »
Bug with vertical zoom persists - can anyone confirm this behavior? Is it the same on other Siglent scopes?
To reproduce bug, set "Vertical ref" to offset and try zooming in on the top of square wave. See attached picture of a results from zoomong in, behaviour is incorrect.

There is a bug with vertical zoom functionality as described in topic Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's. Screenshots describing situation are in a linked post.
SDS800X HD in zoom mode with Fixed Offset for Vertical Ref behaves strangely (1.1.3.6/3.8.12 FW) Utility > Menu > System Setting > Reference Pos > Vertical Ref [Fixed Position/Fixed Offset]

Setup - square wave 0V/3V input signal, edge trigger at 0.3V. Make signal full screen, then enable zoom mode and try to focus on the very top part of square wave. With vertical reference set to "Fixed Offset" zooming vertically "moves down" zoom box in level (!) and requires vertical offset adjustment.

Is it expected behavior? :-// I don't see how this is useful.
IMO Vertical Ref option should not affect zoom mode at all and zoom mode should work as it currently does with "Fixed Position" setting.
The same issue remains with the newest FW 1.1.3.8.

Added screenshots (with descriptions) of the vertical zoom in Fixed Offset and Fixed Position Vertical Ref modes. Screenshots show a sequence of zoom ins and manual offset adjustments, trying to get to the top part of square wave. Observe position of zoom box in top part of the screen - clearly Fixed Offset has some issues while Fixed Position works.

Also, I am not sure I like the way scaling of Reference waveforms works while not in zoom mode (Vertical Ref does not affect Reference waveforms), but at least it is not buggy.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2024, 12:17:41 pm »
Bug with vertical zoom persists - can anyone confirm this behavior? Is it the same on other Siglent scopes?
To reproduce bug, set "Vertical ref" to offset and try zooming in on the top of square wave. See attached picture of a results from zoomong in, behaviour is incorrect.

There is a bug with vertical zoom functionality as described in topic Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's. Screenshots describing situation are in a linked post.
SDS800X HD in zoom mode with Fixed Offset for Vertical Ref behaves strangely (1.1.3.6/3.8.12 FW) Utility > Menu > System Setting > Reference Pos > Vertical Ref [Fixed Position/Fixed Offset]

Setup - square wave 0V/3V input signal, edge trigger at 0.3V. Make signal full screen, then enable zoom mode and try to focus on the very top part of square wave. With vertical reference set to "Fixed Offset" zooming vertically "moves down" zoom box in level (!) and requires vertical offset adjustment.

Is it expected behavior? :-// I don't see how this is useful.
IMO Vertical Ref option should not affect zoom mode at all and zoom mode should work as it currently does with "Fixed Position" setting.
The same issue remains with the newest FW 1.1.3.8.

Added screenshots (with descriptions) of the vertical zoom in Fixed Offset and Fixed Position Vertical Ref modes. Screenshots show a sequence of zoom ins and manual offset adjustments, trying to get to the top part of square wave. Observe position of zoom box in top part of the screen - clearly Fixed Offset has some issues while Fixed Position works.

Also, I am not sure I like the way scaling of Reference waveforms works while not in zoom mode (Vertical Ref does not affect Reference waveforms), but at least it is not buggy.

It remains with the last firmware 1.1.3.8. because it was reported after that FW was released to production.  :-//

Yes, that is reported. I can confirm it was acknowledged and is being worked on.
ETA? Don't know.
It is probably coupled with some other work that has been going on...
Unless it is critical (smoke is coming out type) bug, no manufacturer releases overnight, single issue fixes..

Online electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #199 on: September 21, 2024, 12:28:42 pm »
I saw this bug with 1.1.3.8 (and possibly earlier version, do not recall right now) so hopefully it will be included in next FW releases. Good to know it is acknowledged.
I know it is usability bug, nothing too critical. But it gets in the way very often.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf