Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus Bandwidth & Aliasing Application Note  (Read 6414 times)

Offline Performa01Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Siglent SDS2000X Plus Bandwidth & Aliasing Application Note
« on: January 05, 2022, 12:24:02 pm »
For those who got unnerved by the fact that, apart from a very few exceptions, the sample rate in modern DSOs barely exceeds the Nyquist requirements for the top model in a product line – and even worse, some models even offer bandwidths so high that the Nyquist criterion can only be met by reducing the number of active channels – I did some research and wrote an application note specifically for the Siglent SDS2354X Plus in order to bring some proven facts into the debate.

The SDS2000X Plus is unique within the Siglent product line of DSOs, because it offers a 500 MHz bandwidth option that can only be used in half channel mode, where the sample rate is 2 GSa/s.

At this point it should be mentioned that Siglent is not alone with this.

Fans of the Rigol MSO5000 often praise the excessive sample rate of 8 GSa/s, which ultimately means 4x2 GSa/s – and this is still more than enough for only 350 MHz bandwidth. I have read statements suggesting that other DSOs have “barely enough” sample rate for their input bandwidth.

What about the MSO8000 from the very same brand? Its sample rate would be “barely enough” for 1 GHz with more than 2 channels active, and it can be limited to just 2 channels to still get “barely enough” sample rate for 2 GHz. “Barely enough” in this context means a sample rate to bandwidth ratio of 2.5.

This is not limited to the so-called B-brands: the Keysight 4154A has a very similar restriction, although with slightly more margin in half-channel mode:

All channels: 1 GHz bandwidth @ 2.5 GSa/s; Ratio = 2.5 (like Keysight 3104T)
Half channels: 1.5 GHz bandwidth, 5 GSa/s; Ratio = 3.33

By contrast, the summary for the Siglent SDS2354X Plus with 500 MHz option looks like this:

All channels: 350 MHz bandwidth @ 1 GSa/s; Ratio = 2.85
Half channels: 500 MHz bandwidth, 2 GSa/s; Ratio = 4.0

Yes, most entry level DSOs coming from A-brands have a lot more margin, but that’s obviously not because manufacturers all of a sudden worry about aliasing in entry level products of all things, but they don’t want their “cheap” (everything is relative!) 1000 and 2000 product lines to eat into the sales of the much more expensive higher class products with higher bandwidth.

Please find the application note attached: SDS2000X Plus Bandwidth.pdf

Here is the verdict of the article:
As could be demonstrated, the SDS2304X Plus with 500 MHz option works without any artifacts in half channel mode at 570 MHz bandwidth even with fast signals like the <200 ps rise time square wave.

Special caution is required when using more than two channels, because then the sample rate drops to just 1 GSa/s and even the input bandwidth limit is rather ineffective for various reasons. Consequently, for happy tinkering and probing around without further considerations, 4-channel operation should be limited to signals slower than 1.6 ns rise time if pulse fidelity is of any importance.

On the other hand, pulse integrity checks which require a reasonable accurate waveform display usually need not be performed on all channels all the time, so the half channel mode can be used for this exclusively. After these tests have been completed with a positive result, even the digital logic channels are good enough for many tasks, all the more so the analog channels in full channel mode.

For the timing analysis, the true waveform is not important – we often use the digital channels for this anyway – and in contrast to the logic channels we can still see a coarse approximation of the signal shape in dots display mode even when visual signs of aliasing start creeping in – and we still get fairly accurate amplitude and time measurements.

As has been demonstrated, dots display mode eliminates the reconstruction error and works well even close to the Nyquist frequency, so this can save your day in certain borderline situations, where aliasing artifacts are limited to overshoot and ringing on the pulse flats, hence not affecting the trigger signal path.

At the end of the day, the SDS2504X Plus can handle all kinds of TTL and CMOS logic up to GTL. With some precautions even LVDS is not completely out of the question, even though a higher bandwidth midrange scope with active probe support like the SDS6000 would be much better suited and the obvious choice for this.

EDIT 20220105: Document revised, corrected some errors and added numbers to the pictures.

EDIT2 20220107: Document revised again:
  • Misleading "Safe Signals" and "Conclusion" sections corrected - in half channel mode, the SDS2000X Plus can handle at least the 200 ps rise-time signals without artifacts.
  • Quoted Conclusions in this posting adapted according to the revised document.
  • Artifacts can be Gibbs phenomenon and/or aliasing, both caused by high frequency portions of the input signal that vastly exceed the Nyquist bandwidth of the DSO.
  • Lower bandwidth models most likely do not have a digital filter.
  • Version number added to the title page (V1.02).

EDIT2 20230413: Document revised and supplemented (V1.03):
  • Some typos corrected.
  • Quoted Conclusions in this posting adapted according to the revised document.
  • "SDS2354X Plus with 500 MHz option" is now called "SDS2504X Plus".
  • The effect of different bandwidths demonstrated by the SDS6204 using digital FIR filters (chapter "How much bandwidth do we need?").

« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 08:19:50 am by Performa01 »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus Bandwidth & Aliasing Application Note
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 03:30:52 pm »
Nice work however some edits are needed in the PDF where on numerous occasions SDS2304X Plus is mentioned where I believe SDS2504X Plus is the intended script.

Thread now added into the POI list in the SDS2000X Plus thread OP:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-coming/
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 07:56:20 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, BillyO, JOFlaherty

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 03:57:12 pm »
Very nice article.  Two comments:

1) The issue of the BW in 350MHz mode being much higher than specified is something they should fix if possible.  I understand the idea of maximal leveraging of the sample rate, but having the -3dB point be higher than the Nyquist limit seems to be particularly unhelpful.

2) With regard to the usefulness of the scope at varying risetimes, the width of the pulse is just as important a the risetime in how well it triggers, measures times, etc.  For typical data signals, I suppose the two are closely related--you won't have signals with long periods and short rise times--but for some other applications you may have just that.  The ability of the scope to accurately and reliably trigger, and thus measure fast edges and event timing are actually remarkably good.  CH1 is a 33ps rise time 10MHz signal, CH3 is an 8.4ns rise time 10MHz signal.

A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 04:07:23 pm »
For those who got unnerved by the fact that, apart from a very few exceptions, the sample rate in modern DSOs barely exceeds the Nyquist requirements for the top model in a product line – and even worse, some models even offer bandwidths so high that the Nyquist criterion can only be met by reducing the number of active channels – I did some research and wrote an application note specifically for the Siglent SDS2354X Plus in order to bring some proven facts into the debate.
On page 16 you seem to show the difference between sin x/x reconstruction (top) and dot mode (bottom) to show the effect of aliasing. But IMHO this isn't correct. If you have signal distortion due to aliasing, then the dot mode would also show the same signal. The effect you are showing in the top picture looks like the Gibbs effect to me.

Edit: it also seems to me that the sin x/x is broken from the picture on page 25 and/or the triggering is wrong. A 200MHz square wave should show as a sine-ish wave. At 1Gs/s the limit for sin x/x to stop working is over 400MHz (1Gs/s / 2.5) and 200MHz is far below that limit. The effect shown has nothing to do with aliasing or rise time!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 05:47:05 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2022, 04:14:25 pm »
It would be helpful if each figure was numbered, and the text referred to it like "Figure 123 shows..."
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2022, 05:59:10 pm »
Nice work however some edits are needed in the PDF where on numerous occasions SDS2304X Plus is mentioned where I believe SDS2504X Plus is the intended script.
There is no such thing as an SDS2504X Plus:

https://www.siglenteu.com/digital-oscilloscopes/sds2000xp/

What I am referring to is the SDS2304X Plus with the 500 MHz option installed, that is sitting on my desk.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 06:22:13 pm »
Very nice article.  Two comments:

1) The issue of the BW in 350MHz mode being much higher than specified is something they should fix if possible.  I understand the idea of maximal leveraging of the sample rate, but having the -3dB point be higher than the Nyquist limit seems to be particularly unhelpful.
Yes, of course it would be nice to have more margin in this case. As stated in the article, the high tolerances of the PGA-integrated bandwidth limit will most likely prevent any improvements in this regard.
The -3dB point is at 460 Mhz. This is not higher than the Nyquist frequency at 500 MHz. But I agree - it makes no difference.

2) With regard to the usefulness of the scope at varying risetimes, the width of the pulse is just as important a the risetime in how well it triggers, measures times, etc.  For typical data signals, I suppose the two are closely related--you won't have signals with long periods and short rise times--but for some other applications you may have just that.  The ability of the scope to accurately and reliably trigger, and thus measure fast edges and event timing are actually remarkably good.  CH1 is a 33ps rise time 10MHz signal, CH3 is an 8.4ns rise time 10MHz signal.
I did not consider these other aspects an issue, hence I did not see any need to cover them in my document.

Triggering will always work the same, regardless of the timebase or the pulse width - as long as it doesn't get too narrow, that is. The trigger signal is always derived directly from the ADC at the full channel sample rate and sin(x)/x is always applied to find the exact trigger point.

As discussed earlier in another thread, time measurements can only have the resolution of the sample rate as soon as the record length is greater or equal to the screen width. For 1000 points or longer records, the resolution of time measurements in general will be limited to 500 ps or 1 ns, depending on the sample rate. At faster timebase settings, when less than 1000 points per record are acquired, the reconstruction generates additional data points, thus enabling a better resolution. If you need to see a long record but still want more accurate rise-time measurements, just use the zoom window and set this as the source for the respective automatic measurements.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 06:24:47 pm »

What does your scope identify itself as in the system menu? 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 06:43:39 pm »
On page 16 you seem to show the difference between sin x/x reconstruction (top) and dot mode (bottom) to show the effect of aliasing. But IMHO this isn't correct. If you have signal distortion due to aliasing, then the dot mode would also show the same signal. The effect you are showing in the top picture looks like the Gibbs effect to me.

Edit: it also seems to me that the sin x/x is broken from the picture on page 25 and/or the triggering is wrong. A 200MHz square wave should show as a sine-ish wave. At 1Gs/s the limit for sin x/x to stop working is over 400MHz (1Gs/s / 2.5) and 200MHz is far below that limit. The effect shown has nothing to do with aliasing or rise time!

pg 16.

Yes they are Gibbs artefacts, because there are no sufficient harmonics available, because of sinc working with not enough data. Dot mode works like RIS and builds the image in repetitive triggers. It will have much higher apparent sampling rate and not use sinc interpolation. Hence no Gibbs.

pg 25.
3rd harmonic is 600MHz, and 5th one is 1 GHz. Way over any sampling limit. But it will still place at least some points of sampled signal somewhere on those fast edges. And every sampling period it will be somewhere else. And it will draw different wrong sinc reconstruction every time. With trigger point being estimated from that. So you get this wobbling sinewave.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 06:53:21 pm »
And to add to 2N3055's second point, I'd like to see the signal on p26 with the settings the same except the trigger slope set to falling or alternate.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 07:01:28 pm »
Yes, you are right. Aliasing should be barely visible, because the strongest signal components above Nyquist around 540 MHz should already be 33 dB down.

I’ve only touched it in my article, maybe I should have been more clear. The DSO shows a signal that cannot exist in the real world. This is because with this particular signal that has a strong -10 dBc spectral component at 600 MHz, the aliasing is so strong that also the internal trigger signal path is affected, as can be clearly seen in the vector display mode screenshot on page 25. Consequently, the trigger point itself gets jittery and the individual samples are misaligned. In other words, the samples have lost their common reference on the time axis.

So yes, triggering is “wrong” – and this can happen whenever the input bandwidth is too wide for the sample rate and the input signal has transition times that generate strong harmonics above Nyquist, even when the fundamental frequency is well within the nominal bandwidth.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 07:08:11 pm »

Unsurprisingly it says: "SDS2354X Plus". The model name in the screenshots also comes from the scope itself.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2022, 07:31:28 pm »
And to add to 2N3055's second point, I'd like to see the signal on p26 with the settings the same except the trigger slope set to falling or alternate.
Clever thinking! ;)

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline knudch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2022, 08:18:37 pm »

Unsurprisingly it says: "SDS2354X Plus". The model name in the screenshots also comes from the scope itself.

My SDS2104X+ with "features" say SDS2504X plus in system menu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2022, 08:48:30 pm »
Well, quite obviously mine is not an SDS2104X Plus. it says "SDS2354 X Plus" on the front cover.
An SDS2504X might exist in China, but in the rest of the world it is just a hint that the user might be an EEVblog member ;)

Offline knudch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2022, 08:52:27 pm »
The naming scheme:
2104 = 100MHz
2204 =  200MHz
2354 =  350MHz
2504 =  500Mhz

Give sense... ;)

So far as I remember it changes type each time I applied the BW options 100=>200=>350=>500
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 08:59:49 pm by knudch »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2022, 08:54:56 pm »

Yes, AFAIK SDS2354X+ with the 500 MHz BW SDS2000XP-4BW05 option applied should display SDS2504X+ in the system menu.
Maybe other members need also confirm this.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2022, 09:00:01 pm »
Yes, AFAIK SDS2354X+ with the 500 MHz BW SDS2000XP-4BW05 option applied should display SDS2504X+ in the system menu.
Do these scopes display the 500 MHz option in the options menu?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2022, 09:13:55 pm »
Do these scopes display the 500 MHz option in the options menu?
Available BW options are only applicable to the model the scope already is. As BW lifts from option installation the next BW upgrade option becomes visible.
See last screenshot here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-hack/msg3822731/#msg3822731
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Solacity

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2022, 09:32:25 pm »
Maybe other members need also confirm this.

My 'upgraded' SDS2104X Plus identifies as "SDS2504X Plus" in the 'Utility | Menu | System Settings | System Status' screen.
The options menu no longer shows the 500 Mhz or any other bandwidth option.

FYI...

Performa, very nice work! Following it with great interest.

-Rob-

Offline knudch

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2022, 09:33:06 pm »
@Performa01

Does your scope have the 500ps/div setting ?

It might be you "only" have the 350MHz ;)

If that the case...then 500MHz BW option only gives the 500ps/div setting  ::)
According to your results

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2022, 04:31:29 am »
Thanks for all the hints regarding the model name miracle.

Given the fact, that I certainly know what I have and in this very thread of all things, where I clearly demonstrated the 580 MHz bandwidth in half channel mode, any speculations that I might "only have 350 Mhz" sound a bit strange.

To sum it up one last time:
  • My instrument is an SDS2354X Plus. It says so on the front cover, it says so in the System Info box and it puts this model name in the file names of the screenshots.
  • My instrument has the 500 MHz option. It has a measured 580 MHz bandwidth, it has the 500 ps/div timebase setting and it shows no bandwidth option in the Options dialog.
I have a very early version of this instrument and I got it long before its official release date. My early hardware is version 2.00 and I still have the blinking power button, yet I wouldn't expect this to have any impact on the model name, as this should be a software thing.

Now I would like to leave it at that and get back on topic, which is bandwidth and aliasing.

I have updated my initial posting yesterday to provide a corrected version of the document.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2022, 04:46:22 am »
Given the fact, that I certainly know what I have and in this very thread of all things, where I clearly demonstrated the 580 MHz bandwidth in half channel mode, any speculations that I might "only have 350 Mhz" sound a bit strange.

It might seem a strange question until you consider that my scope also says SDS2354X+, does show a 500M optional upgrade and does not have the 500ps/div setting, yet still has 540MHz + BW.  We didn't know you had the 500ps/div.

Now I would like to leave it at that and get back on topic, which is bandwidth and aliasing.

OK!  On that topic (I think) can you tell me how the 20M, 200M and to the extent it does or doesn't exist, the 350M BW limiters are implemented?  The 200M BW limiter only appears on the 2354X+ and 2504X+ models, the 350MHz BW is not manually selectable.  Are these done in software or hardware and are they the exact same BW limiter that would be used to define a lower model?  IOW, does a 2204X+ behave exactly like a 2354X+ with the 200M BW limit on?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2022, 06:19:54 am »
It might seem a strange question until you consider that my scope also says SDS2354X+, does show a 500M optional upgrade and does not have the 500ps/div setting, yet still has 540MHz + BW.  We didn't know you had the 500ps/div.
Ah okay, 540 MHz is not that much different from 580 MHz. Well, it all comes down to the fact that manufacturers cannot define a precise bandwidth limit in hardware, because:
  • The low order gaussian or Bessel filters don’t have a flat passband, so the corner frequency has to be placed high in order to get e.g. less than 2 dB amplitude drop at the specified bandwidth.
  • It doesn’t pay off to implement a discrete filter (and maybe an additional buffer) in the high speed signal path right before the ADC. In practice, the integrated bandwidth limiter of the PGA gets normally used for this - and this has high tolerances which must be allowed for. Consequently, the actual bandwidth limit might be at nominal 650 MHz +/-25 %.

OK!  On that topic (I think) can you tell me how the 20M, 200M and to the extent it does or doesn't exist, the 350M BW limiters are implemented?  The 200M BW limiter only appears on the 2354X+ and 2504X+ models, the 350MHz BW is not manually selectable.  Are these done in software or hardware and are they the exact same BW limiter that would be used to define a lower model?  IOW, does a 2204X+ behave exactly like a 2354X+ with the 200M BW limit on?
Well, at least a part of this question has been dealt with in my document already, e.g. page 8:

We can still use the 200 MHz bandwidth limit to reduce aliasing, as shown in Figure 5 – but this cripples our DSO
to a lower bandwidth instrument, increasingly unsuitable for looking at fast signals. Quite obviously we cannot have
it all at the same time. Actual -3 dB corner frequency is only 185 MHz, attenuation at 500 MHz is little more than 10
dB, so the AA-effect is limited anyway. Please note that this would probably not be a suitable emulation for the
genuine 200 MHz model, even when the upper bandwidth limit was a little higher, because in the 200 MHz model
there might be an additional digital filter to get a uniform bandwidth limit at e.g. 240 MHz. In this case aliasing
artifacts near Nyquist will see some additional suppression.

First of all, Siglent have indeed considered a more effective AA-filter already for the SDS2000X-E. The idea had been dropped as there just is no good compromise between bearable effort, effectiveness, and still good pulse response.

I do not know about all the details. Many of them are obvious anyway. What do we have:
  • The manually selectable bandwidth limits are the ones in the PGA. They have a typical tolerance of 20 to 25 % (mind you, “typical” does not mean guaranteed), hence also the 185 MHz for my 200 MHz bandwidth limit.
  • The 350 MHz bandwidth limit should be there, but we cannot be sure because 460 MHz is so close to Nyquist and this “bandwidth limit” might just be the natural aperture error. a typical PGA might have 20 MHz, 100 MHz, 200 MHz, 350 MHz, 650 MHz and 750 MHz bandwidth limits with typically(!) 20-25 % tolerance. What to choose for 350 MHz? 350 MHz might fall into the -25 % category and users will complain if their individual scope has a measured bandwidth of only 270 MHz. So, 650 MHz it has to be. Yes, this is just an example, maybe the PGA used in the SDS2000X Plus has some different bandwidth options, but at 25 % tolerance, it would have to be at the very least 470 MHz. So, you can just as well forget about it.
  • An SDS1104X-E is different from the SDS1204X-E in that it has a digital 18 dB/octave filter, limiting its bandwidth to precisely 110 MHz. I do not know if lower bandwidth versions of the SDS2000X Plus have something comparable, but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 02:44:56 pm by Performa01 »

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2022, 08:26:37 am »
Nice measurements...

Well, may show the HW setup as may you simple measure a 50E chain using a given cable...

As looking for overshoots in real gear (as LVHC logic) things fails soon by the used probe..  :phew:

This means using a 300Mhz probe witch has a to high cap as ~20pF will draw more overshoots as using a FET/1GHz as ~1pF.

Not only the BW is important, the phase shifts will cause or show the overshoots. So phase is currently neglected.

Attached a Spectrum of a 10MHz clock up to 1.5GHz using as SSA juts to see that we get or have a large fourier content.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf