Author Topic: Another scope recommendation request with a twist.  (Read 3445 times)

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
Re: Another scope recommendation request with a twist.
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2020, 09:27:28 am »
...DSOs still at the starting gate compared to CRTs, on real world troubleshoots below 100mhz

Job done with CRT and DUT returned to customer  :-+ before DSO finishes booting and or scrolling through Menu options
and praying the programmed or shared channel Trigger isn't asleep on the job    :=\

:D
I've told you a million times not to exaggerate!
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2020, 09:31:15 am »
My 4 channel HP 54542A claims 1 Gs/s and has 4 channels each 500 MHz.  How is that possible?
Because it's a CRT based DSO.

Why is the display technology the key factor?

Capture and display are orthogonal concerns.
Yeah sorry, went off on a tangent.  :palm:

I've never ever had a brain fart. Oh no. Never ever ever. Perish the thought :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline paul002

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2020, 07:27:54 am »
Hi,

I own a GW-Instek MDO 2072 and use it for HF and VHF projects. I use mostly the spectrum analyser option which runs to 500 Mhz. It also has a function generator which runs till 25 Mhz. It works quite well but the spectrum analyser is a extended FFT that is it looks like and works like a real spectrum analyser but uses FFT to generate the picture. For HF and VHF work (till 146 Mhz) it works good but you have first to use the scope to get a good signal and then put it to spectrum analyser. Some times when the signal is to strong you get wrong result in the spectrum analyser. Thats why I first check the signal in scope function. The one thing that is lacking is that the functiongenerator cannot function as tracking generator  :(. That would have been great, but I now use a nanovna for that.
So if you are on a low budget and need a scope / spectrumanalyser this is a bargain. If you have 2k to spare I would consider two seperate instruments. But I have lots of fun with this scope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf