Author Topic: SDS1202X-E interfacing with computer.  (Read 2232 times)

Offline karambaTopic starter

• Contributor
SDS1202X-E interfacing with computer.
« on: April 27, 2020, 09:59:56 pm »
Hello,
I think I need an oscilloscope for my pet projects. The condition is that I need to be able to transfer all captured data (preferably at real time) to a separate computer and do some processing and visualization there. I haven't used an oscilloscope for a very long time so my knowledge about this stuff is quite a bit rusty. But I did spend my share of time with bulky CRT thingys but those did not know anything about computers.
  I just picked up an oscilloscope  ( not bought it yet) that would not break the bank too much but still I think is quite nice:  Siglent SDS1202X-E . Would anyone want to talk me out of it and steer at a better candidate ? Maybe Rigol DS1202Z-E ?  My immediate project will require being able to record long sequence of signals ( the longer the better) to a raspberry or PC but saying honestly it is an excuse to buy new shiny toy and  look cool when I checking the outlets in my house :-) 

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: SDS1202X-E interfacing with computer.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 10:28:58 am »
Hello,
I think I need an oscilloscope for my pet projects. The condition is that I need to be able to transfer all captured data (preferably at real time) to a separate computer and do some processing and visualization there.
First think about the sampling rate of a DSO, it's in GSa/s and you can't push that much data through to a PC without fast fiber at the very least.
Sorry but I've got bad news for you, it won't happen in real time !
I haven't used an oscilloscope for a very long time so my knowledge about this stuff is quite a bit rusty. But I did spend my share of time with bulky CRT thingys but those did not know anything about computers.
It's good you already have scope experience to know what the basic scope controls do however getting the most from a DSO requires a considerable rethink of scope operation. Become familiar with the strong points of a DSO, namely its Trigger suite, waveform capture and memory depth. How well you use each is fundamental to the end result.
I just picked up an oscilloscope  ( not bought it yet) that would not break the bank too much but still I think is quite nice:  Siglent SDS1202X-E . Would anyone want to talk me out of it and steer at a better candidate ?
It will do what you need once you learn its capabilities.
My immediate project will require being able to record long sequence of signals ( the longer the better) to a raspberry or PC

Long records require memory depth and sometimes Roll mode and to start or stop them so knowledge of how to use their most powerful feature, their trigger ! Then you can Save the record in various formats and export it via a USB stick or directly to your PC using EasyScopeX, again via a USB connection or LAN. Remote control of the scope is possible too from within EasyScopeX.
but saying honestly it is an excuse to buy new shiny toy and  look cool when I checking the outlets in my house :-)
::)
Better to use a DMM, a transformer to step mains down to safe levels or get a 100:1 probe to ensure scope and you don't get fried !  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf