Author Topic: SDG 2042X as first function generator  (Read 7480 times)

Offline adauphinTopic starter

• Supporter
SDG 2042X as first function generator
« on: January 26, 2019, 02:57:41 am »
I'm going to pair this with a Rigol 1054Z, thanks for push towards that scope last year.. :-+

It's a bit above my planned budget, but I want to speculate for about $500, it's going to be a worthwhile purchase. I dont want to decide later I should have spent a couple hundred more for the 2042X.

As far as uses...I suppose being more prepared than not is how I look at it.

Troubleshooting circuits, designing simple circuits, getting the kids involved in electronics, diagnosing and designing crossover networks, honestly anything I can learn to do with the scope.

Just want to ask before I purchase one, make sure nothing is coming out this year or has been recently released.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: SDG 2042X as first function generator
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 03:15:11 am »
I have just done an upgrade to one of these from a Feeltech 6600 https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/feeltech-fy6600-60mhz-2-ch-vco-function-arbitrary-waveform-signal-generator/msg2115487/#msg2115487

Overall it is a very big leap forward in accuracy performance (in particular should you hack it) and use but it is a downgrade in terms of PC interface and remote use over the Feeltech. This isn't a deal breaker or me and the Arb software works well.

Is it a good first Sig Gen? Yes in that it is fairly intuitive to use, flexible and powerful and will likely do you for a long while to come.

Is it worth the cost increase over the Cheap and Cheerful Chinese Sig Gens? Maybe. If you can stretch the budget then it is a great tool.

In your position? If I was looking again without one or a history of using or owning one I would likely start cheap again until I felt I 'needed' and could justify the improvement in performance.

Sorry for a bit of a Non Answer but have a serious think if you NEED it or just WANT it :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 03:44:12 am »
To save yourself some $140 consider the SDG1032X, it can do everything the SDG2042X can do but with slightly lower res, no touch screen and lesser arb memory.
Sure you can hack 2042X to 120 MHz but only to 60 MHz for the 1kX series.
Study the datasheets.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:15:29 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 10:40:50 am »
Thank you for the replies...good info.

I forgot to ask, regarding the Siglent 1000X/2000x, when performing frequency sweeps, can you set voltages below 1V, basically 0-999 mV?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 11:18:49 am »
Hadn't tried before but yep 200mV 300k-1.3Meg really must read the instructions. Badly setup persistance MisSig video is just for Tautech  ;D

https://youtu.be/DuvNg8mbUCc
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 11:21:46 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: adauphin

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 05:02:19 pm »
Both the SDG1032X and SDG2042X are very capable units that can be "upgraded" to their highest range counterparts.  I've got both units, but for hobby/learning purposes, I think the 1032X is more than capable.  The extra resolution, sampling rate, and bandwidth of the 2042X probably wouldn't be missed. 

And frankly, I wouldn't pay any extra for the touchscreen on such a small display.  The UI doesn't really take advantage of it, and all the physical buttons are right there anyway, I end up just using them 99% of the time.

Online JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 05:02:57 pm »
Lowest amplitude using sweep on my SDG2042x is 2mv pp with output impedance set to 50 ohms.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 06:19:23 pm »
Thank you for the replies...good info.

I forgot to ask, regarding the Siglent 1000X/2000x, when performing frequency sweeps, can you set voltages below 1V, basically 0-999 mV?
Amplitude can be set in V or dB, but only dB when output load setting is into 50 ohms.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: adauphin

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 05:40:18 am »
And frankly, I wouldn't pay any extra for the touchscreen on such a small display.  The UI doesn't really take advantage of it, and all the physical buttons are right there anyway, I end up just using them 99% of the time.

I agree, I wish the touch screen was either omitted or an option.

Quote from: JDubU
Lowest amplitude using sweep on my SDG2042x is 2mv pp with output impedance set to 50 ohms.

Nice, I assume the 1032X is the same?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 09:13:06 am »

No it isn't, 1 mV p-p into 50 ohms and 2 mV p-p into a HiZ load.

The source impedance from Siglent arbs is always 50 ohm however the displayed output setting when changed between 50 ohm and HiZ loads always halves for a 50 ohm load.
You can see evidence for this in the datasheets for both models under Output Characteristics, Note 1: The specification will be divided by 2 while applied to a 50Ω load

But.....there seems to be a datasheet error for SDG1000X models, the Output Characteristics spec is listed as a min of 4 mV (/2 for 50 ohm) whereas the unit I have just checked does in fact have the spec I've listed above and it's the same as SDG2000X models.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:16:54 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Online voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 12:19:37 pm »
SDG2042X was my best purchase of 2018.

Online JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 05:47:48 pm »

The source impedance from Siglent arbs is always 50 ohm however the displayed output setting when changed between 50 ohm and HiZ loads always halves for a 50 ohm load.
You can see evidence for this in the datasheets for both models under Output Characteristics, Note 1: The specification will be divided by 2 while applied to a 50Ω load

But.....there seems to be a datasheet error for SDG1000X models, the Output Characteristics spec is listed as a min of 4 mV (/2 for 50 ohm) whereas the unit I have just checked does in fact have the spec I've listed above and it's the same as SDG2000X models.

tautech:

I have the latest firmware (2.01.01.23R8) on my SDG2042x.
This is what happens when I try to lower the amplitude below 2mV p-p with the dial control:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 05:54:04 pm by JDubU »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 08:05:40 pm »

tautech:

I have the latest firmware (2.01.01.23R8) on my SDG2042x.
This is what happens when I try to lower the amplitude below 2mV p-p with the dial control:

Yep, correct and the SDG1032X UI does indeed go down to 1 mV p-p, just triple checked both units.

Edit to add
SDG2kX should do the same 1 mV p-p into 50 ohms.  :-//
There are Output minimum amplitude errors in both SDG1kX and 2kX datasheets; email to the factory sent
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:25:58 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 09:24:31 pm »
Yep, correct and the SDG1032X UI does indeed go down to 1 mV p-p, just triple checked both units.

Edit to add
SDG2kX should do the same 1 mV p-p into 50 ohms.  :-//
There are Output minimum amplitude errors in both SDG1kX and 2kX datasheets; email to the factory sent

The trick is to put the load at HiZ, set to 2mVpp then set to 50ohm and it will show 1mVpp.  One you move it back up to 2mV it won't go back down.

So a minor bug.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online JDubU

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 11:21:38 pm »
The trick is to put the load at HiZ, set to 2mVpp then set to 50ohm and it will show 1mVpp.  One you move it back up to 2mV it won't go back down.

So a minor bug.

That works!

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 02:27:21 am »
Thank you all for the detailed responses, I see how the 1032X will more than suit my needs, but tough call on not going for the 2042X...I'll figure it out this week.

As far as BNC leads, I saw this kit but seems pricey, I'm fine with the cost if that's a fair price.

https://www.tequipment.net/Cal-Test/CT4037/

I have two leads from Radio Shack I've had for a few years, may not be suitable for this setup. They are RG-58/U, Indont know if that will throw off any readings.

Either unit will be a welcome addition. Been using this that came with a 465B I started with to practice on.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2019, 02:39:19 am »
There is more chance your RS leads will be better quality than the ones in that kit (most likely cheap and cheerful Chinese) ;) For most lower frequencies you can get away with a lot more but a kit with a range of adapters is never a bad idea.

As well as that lot a BNC to SMA adapter or two would be a good idea and maybe another Tee or Two and a BNC joiner.

Offline Zorc

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2019, 08:43:20 am »
Interesting topic!

I'm also consider buying the SDG2042X and still in doubt if I shouldn't settle for the 1032X and keep the money difference in my pocket (to spend it on other cool stuff)

At the moment I don't really need >30Mhz signals and I don't see any real advantage for the touchscreen....
The main reason for me to pay more would be the difference in signal fidelity/quality due to the better DAC (16 vs 14 bit) and the higher sample rate.
However, I should probably just get the cheaper one since 14 bit should be plenty enough anyway....

Offline Calvin

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2019, 09:10:17 am »
Hi,

the main difference of value I see is the 16Bit against 14Bit resolution.
Means 4x higher resolution,hence better spectral purity of sine waves, i.e. lower THD.
That may only count for audio, when You need a very pure sine or a low level signal, but then ... a cleaner signal is a cleaner signal  :-+

regards
Calvin
..... it builds character!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2019, 11:42:17 am »
Interesting topic!

I'm also consider buying the SDG2042X and still in doubt if I shouldn't settle for the 1032X and keep the money difference in my pocket (to spend it on other cool stuff)

At the moment I don't really need >30Mhz signals and I don't see any real advantage for the touchscreen....
The main reason for me to pay more would be the difference in signal fidelity/quality due to the better DAC (16 vs 14 bit) and the higher sample rate.
However, I should probably just get the cheaper one since 14 bit should be plenty enough anyway....
Respective threads for your further study:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg1000x-waveform-generators/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/the-siglent-sdg2042x-thread/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: Zorc

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 11:48:22 am »
Troubleshooting circuits, designing simple circuits, getting the kids involved in electronics, diagnosing and designing crossover networks, honestly anything I can learn to do with the scope.
Wouldn't a cheap Feeltech be a better option? What if your kids decide it is a good idea to put the output of a stereo amplifier in parallel with the function generator? I'd imagine you'd be very pissed if they blow up $500.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 11:55:05 am »
Wouldn't a cheap Feeltech be a better option? What if your kids decide it is a good idea to put the output of a stereo amplifier in parallel with the function generator? I'd imagine you'd be very pissed if they blow up $500.
Do they have output protection like Siglent units do ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 12:13:53 pm »
Given they can currently be had for $50 USD for a 50Meg one delivered anywhere on the planet does it really matter if the Feeltech has output protection?

And yet I still replaced mine with a 2042X  ;)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 12:46:52 pm »
Given they can currently be had for $50 USD for a 50Meg one delivered anywhere on the planet does it really matter if the Feeltech has output protection?
Indeed. And the Feeltech can do 99% of the signal generation tasks. You can always spend more later on. Spending less is much harder afterwards. Also the Feeltech is much simpler to operate (less features) so IMHO more ideal to learn with.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2019, 11:51:57 am »
Well I hemmed and hawed over the 1032 and 2042 and decided on the 2042. Could of had a few more needed accessories but I really wanted $150 more function generator, and I'm sure it will be put to good use.  8)

I appreciate the input and constructive criticism.  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf