Author Topic: Cheap DSO153 (not 152) or DSO154Pro for measuring amp for clipping? please help  (Read 1166 times)

Offline shaolin95Topic starter

Hi!
So I want to get a cheap oscilloscope and the use will be only to measure the speaker output of home amplifiers to make sure I am not clipping.
Do notice that I am using not only speakers but tactile devices so going down to 10hz or even 1hz if possible, would be ideal so I can make sure I am not clipping any of those. I was trying the DSO 152 and it seems to not deal with anything under 6hz but not even sure if it was accurate at that point.
Reading that the DSO152 is not highly regarded and that the 154 Pro is a better unit, I wanted to check about the 153 before buying the 154 Pro.
Or does it even matter for my usage?

Thanks!

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
Whatever scope, if you want to measure levels at those low frequencies you must use DC input coupling.  I can recommend the DSO154Pro for what you want to do (and more).

But you should be able to see clipping even at low frequencies with just about any scope.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 05:17:07 pm by wasedadoc »

The following users thanked this post: Fungus, shaolin95

Whatever scope, if you want to measure levels at those low frequencies you must use DC input coupling.  I can recommend the DSO154Pro for what you want to do (and more).

But you should be able to see clipping even at low frequencies with just about any scope.
Sorry, I am a complete noob here. I saw that DC coupling as an option in the menu of one I was looking at. Is that all, just select the DC Coupling option and proceed?
Thanks for your help..I am ordering the 154pro next :)

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor

Sorry, I am a complete noob here. I saw that DC coupling as an option in the menu of one I was looking at. Is that all, just select the DC Coupling option and proceed?
AC coupling removes the DC component but also attenuates low frequencies.  The magnitude of the effect varies from scope to scope.  Selectitng DC coupling should produce a flat frequency response all the way down to 0Hz.

The following users thanked this post: shaolin95

AC coupling removes the DC component but also attenuates low frequencies.  The magnitude of the effect varies from scope to scope.  Selectitng DC coupling should produce a flat frequency response all the way down to 0Hz.

Thanks for the help!!! :)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
+1 for the Zeewei DSO154Pro

A small update.
So yesterday I received the 154 PRo and also two others I had ordered before asking here and was unable to cancel the order on time.
While testing for a more extreme clipping, I noticed that I am unable to show the top of the wave in 2 of them no matter what I tried. I maxed out the options (at least from what I can tell) and moved it as far down as possible but it just wont show all of it.
Only the LM2020 is able to let me show it very clearly. This was not my favorite device as I wanted it to be just an oscilloscope with more direct controls like the FNRSI or smaller and cheaper like the 154Pro but unless I am doing something wrong, it seems to be the only one showing me what I wanted not matter how extreme the case.
Am I missing something?

Here are some screenshots of all 3 devices. As you can see the LM2020 lets me get that close and detail if I wanted to and for some reason I cannot find an option to do anything remotely like this with the others. Maybe I am missing something?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 02:14:13 pm by shaolin95 »

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
Is that really 189Vpp?
I'm amazed that the scopes can withstand that at 1x. ??
Try with a 10x probe.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2024, 03:05:05 pm by Aldo22 »

Is that really 189Vpp?
I'm amazed that the scopes can withstand that at 1x. ??
Try with a 10x probe.
Hi.
Well my issue is the 10x probe I have is this (attached photo).
So I am not sure how I could connect one of those probes to the positive and negative speaker output of my amp.
I have been using a probe that has a bnc to a positive and negative alligator clip for this but that's 1x

Thanks

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
So I am not sure how I could connect one of those probes to the positive and negative speaker output of my amp.
Probe tip to positive speaker out and croc clip negative speaker out.  Advisable to run scope on battery power, ie no possibility of scope being grounded.

Oh because they seem to be connected to the same piece I was concerned of shorting things but then again,  that wouldn't make sense lol
Thanks for the clarification

Probe tip to positive speaker out and croc clip negative speaker out.  Advisable to run scope on battery power, ie no possibility of scope being grounded.
That was perfect. Now the 154Pro is my favorite by far.
Thanks again!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf