Author Topic: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply  (Read 412045 times)

Offline bateau020

• Frequent Contributor
Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« Reply #1125 on: April 09, 2023, 10:51:22 am »
This leak voltage and current is normal. All power supplies have that. The better ones leak less, but still.

Class I equipment (what this is) has a maximum leak current of 3.5mA for not handheld, and 0.75mA for handheld.
Class II equipment (the double insulated equipment) has a maximum leak current of 0.25mA.

Those 0.27mA you measured are probably OK (the method and tools you used are likely not "official method"), but I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, if you connect the minus to earth ground, you risk creating problems later on if you connect that power supply to anything that also has a connection to earth ground (scope, PC, other power supplies,...). It is far better to leave the PSU floating.

The following users thanked this post: nikitasius

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1126 on: April 09, 2023, 11:12:17 am »
But if i connect that w/ scope all i need is to connect scope's ground to RD6006's ground (which will be on a minus).
0.27mA could burn some sensitive components 🤔
There are idlers that want to have money without working and fools that are ready to work without becoming rich.

Offline bateau020

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1127 on: April 09, 2023, 11:57:39 am »
0.27mA could burn some sensitive components 🤔
The voltage could burn some if you are not cautious, depending on how you connect it. But so would static electricity (fingers).

Let's compare the 2 situations:

Suppose you do not interconnect - and earth ground on the PSU (meaning: leave as is):
a) If you use the PSU to power your circuit, and you use the scope to measure between - and some signal in the circuit: the - will connect directly to earth ground (through the scope). Without going through any of your components. So all OK.
b) If you connect the gnd of the scope in other places, you MIGHT hurt some components. So bad idea.
c) If you have multiple power supplies that you use to create multiple input voltages: there is no problem as all will be floating from earth ground.

But now suppose you interconnect - and earth ground on the PSU.
a) If you use the PSU to power your circuit, and you use the scope to measure between - and some signal in the circuit: you will have created a ground loop. And since it is low impedance, you can create dangerous currents. So you MIGHT hurt some components and instruments, or even yourself. Bad idea.
b) If you connect the gnd of the scope in other places, you WILL hurt some components, as then suddenly you will have created a short to -. Bad idea.
c) If you have multiple power supplies that you use to create multiple input voltages: huge problem, sparks etc. Bad idea.

Conclusion: bad idea to connect PSU - to earth ground.

The following users thanked this post: nikitasius

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1128 on: April 09, 2023, 09:57:55 pm »
Well, assuming all:
• i will disconnect ground from my ACDC PSUs
• i will make external ground on the face of my riden (the 4th contact so)
• when i measure something w/ scope i will use single ground from the scope close to connector to remove that pulse AC current inside
• when i power something w/ my rd6006 i will use ground from 4th connector w/ my negative Rd6006

In these cases:
• i have only 1 ground and no ground loops
There are idlers that want to have money without working and fools that are ready to work without becoming rich.

Offline puterboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1129 on: April 10, 2023, 03:50:30 am »
--> "I do not have it."
Does this mean, when we provide the models to you, you would do the custom firmware for them. Especially the RD6024?
No, it just means that I do not have it.
I just do not want to spend time.

I just got a new RD6024 and after reading through this thread, I have been majorly impressed with all the customizations provided by UniSoft, only to read that the RD6024 is not supported.

Since the post quoted is more than a year old, I was wondering whether this policy is still true. It really seems like a shame that the 6006/6012/6012 are all supported but not the 6024.
Indeed, had I known, I would have bought the 6018 as I only chose the 6024 since it was only a few dollars more...

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1130 on: April 10, 2023, 08:00:53 pm »
Well, now it could float or had a PE.
When it's red - no PE, when no light and bottom is ON, it's on the PE.

Offline Flare

• Contributor
« Reply #1131 on: April 11, 2023, 11:32:10 am »
There's a couple of issues/things I've noticed which I wondered if you guys had also, I'll try and get in contact with Riden about them to fix some. I've got a 6012P which is really very good but maybe I should have gotten a Unisoft supported one, thanks for the work you put in by the way.
  • Ever since updating the firmware it intermittently (but repeatably) says: "Output fuse damaged!" in the middle of screen and halts any operation when the output is open/little current is flowing. I've updated to the latest firmware since then and it's not fixed. I'm pretty certain this has nothing to do with the fuse as it supplies 12 amps fine.
  • I've just downloaded the latest Windows software and it says my model is not supported. Nevermind, I realised there is a selector for the hardware version at the top right which defaulted to the new RK line. The previous one still works though and the new patch notes only say: "Add RK6006 product support", does anyone know what this is?
  • Attached picture shows the voltage across a 10Ω resistor when the current is limited to 100mA, but obviously the voltage is set high, I just tried with a 1Ω and it spiked to 1.6V before settling to 0.1V. I read about this behaviour earlier in the thread but I thought it had been patched, or am I just expecting too much?
A couple of other features which I'm not sure are possible. Is there a way to turn off the pulsing power button in standby?
Is it possible to set a slow start up with delays less than 1s? Ideally I would just like to set the power supply to a voltage and a time to steadily ramp to it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 05:26:00 pm by Flare »

Offline bateau020

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1132 on: April 14, 2023, 01:12:25 pm »
While we're nitpicking on the device, there is something that has bothered me for a long time but I never understood why this happens: The voltage has a small and slow repetitive waveform. Be it in CV or CC mode.
RD6012 with the latest custom firmware (warmed up for the images).

CV mode: 5V on a big 10-ish Ohm resistor. (5 Hz sampling in the image, horizontal scale is expressed in min:sec)

The ripple is 2.5mV pk-pk with a period of about 12 seconds.

CC mode: 0.5A on the same resistor.

The ripple is 12.5mV pk-pk with a period of about 12 seconds.

I understand the ripple. No problems with that, but why those 12 seconds?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 01:48:54 pm by bateau020 »

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1133 on: April 14, 2023, 02:36:27 pm »
It really seems like a shame that the 6006/6012/6012 are all supported but not the 6024.
Why is it like a shame?
This is not a commercial and not profitable project, just a hobby. And I was interested.
As for the RD6024/RD6012P, I don’t have it, and I do not want to spend money on their purchase.

As for the “shame”, it is better for you to write to developers, this is their work, they get money for this (unlike me).
What prevents them from going along the same way that I, to talk with customers, ask what they need, what they want to see in the firmware.

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1134 on: April 14, 2023, 03:14:03 pm »
Ever since updating the firmware it intermittently (but repeatably) says: "Output fuse damaged!" in the middle of screen and halts any operation when the output is open/little current is flowing. I've updated to the latest firmware since then and it's not fixed. I'm pretty certain this has nothing to do with the fuse as it supplies 12 amps fine.
Yes, this can work unstable...
I don't know how exactly it is implemented in RD6012P (I don't have it, and therefore I can't decrypt the firmware).
But I see this condition in RD6006: if (Vset < (Vout + 20mV) && Iout < 10mA)

RK6006... does anyone know what this is?
This is their new product... lite version of RD6006
same form factor as DPS5005 (same size)
see here:
https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=709455990929&de_count=1

A couple of other features which I'm not sure are possible. Is there a way to turn off the pulsing power button in standby?
No

Is it possible to set a slow start up with delays less than 1s?
No
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 03:20:25 pm by UniSoft »

Offline oxoocoffee

« Reply #1135 on: April 14, 2023, 03:28:06 pm »
Hello everyone,

I just got and assembled RIDEN RD6012P (WIFI) from Amazon. Before I start a new thread I figured I will ask here.
1. Does RD6012P models share the same firmware as RD6006?
2. My unit did come with V1.44. Where can I find an update?
3. I am reading there are different implementations?
4. Do any hardware fixes in this thread apply to my unit?

EDIT: Not sure if there is an issue with my unit. I do hear the fan turning on for 15-20 sec every minute even if there is no load and the power is off. I mean the toggle button in the back of the unit is on. But the front button is green but the unit is turned off (screen off). When I just do turn the unit on and do not enable power by pressing the "on/off" button, the same thing happens. Is that normal?
Perhaps it is a known issue with this firmware?

Thank you
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 06:06:01 pm by oxoocoffee »

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1136 on: April 14, 2023, 06:53:45 pm »
1. Does RD6012P models share the same firmware as RD6006?
No! all models have it is own firmware.

2. My unit did come with V1.44. Where can I find an update?
last version is RD60125_V1.47
Use their software, it checks for updates...
http://www.ruidengkeji.com/rdupdate/software/RidenPower/RidenPowerSupply_V1.0.0.15.rar

EDIT: Not sure if there is an issue with my unit. I do hear the fan turning on for 15-20 sec every minute even if there is no load...
It is not an issue. Primary power supply work like this. And yup, it is annoying...

... and the power is off. I mean the toggle button in the back of the unit is on. But the front button is green but the unit is turned off (screen off).
Front power button doesn't really turn off power... just turn off LCD, turn off output, that is it... so the whole hardware is powered.

Perhaps it is a known issue with this firmware?
It is not the firmware problem. There is no physical turn off functionality (no hardware support).
And the fan inside the primary power supply is controlled by the power supply itself (specifically its PWM-controller).

Offline oxoocoffee

« Reply #1137 on: April 15, 2023, 01:59:05 am »
You stated RD60125_V1.47 latest. My is RD6012P. Also stated that each unit has its own version. At the same time, you suggesting a firmware with totally different version pointing to ear file. Confused…
I am also reading there are different firmware developers. Which one is best/better and original developer?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 02:00:51 am by oxoocoffee »

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #1138 on: April 15, 2023, 04:04:42 am »
I know this thread is about 46 pages long, but I suggest you read most of it.
Particularly from about page 8 where Unisoft kindly steps in with reverse engineering the firmware and writing a much better version.
Further down the track a member called sunkmail and a few others author a comprehensive user manual for the firmware that Unisoft has done so much hard work on (for free).
Manual: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/custom-firmware-reference-document-for-riden-rd60xx-power-supplies/msg3482952/#msg3482952
Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?

The following users thanked this post: sunkmail

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1139 on: April 15, 2023, 05:57:24 am »
You stated RD60125_V1.47 latest. My is RD6012P. Also stated that each unit has its own version. At the same time, you suggesting a firmware with totally different version pointing to ear file. Confused…
RD60125 is the internal name of RD6012P

I am also reading there are different firmware developers. Which one is best/better and original developer?
For RD6012P there is the stock firmware ONLY.

Offline Flare

• Contributor
« Reply #1140 on: April 15, 2023, 01:34:09 pm »
Well I've contacted RDTech about the fuse error, I'm not expecting much.
That new mini supply looks nice, I have the original 5005 they made (it had a slightly different name, buttons and board) and never really used it before flashing with the Russian firmware because I didn't like the UI.

Is there a good reason that the quoted ripple measurements are made with a 0.1μF cap on the terminals or is it just cheating to make it appear better?

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1141 on: April 15, 2023, 02:11:30 pm »
RK6006

The following users thanked this post: ceut, ghoes, nikitasius, trmntr, elektryk

Offline puterboy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1142 on: April 16, 2023, 05:13:10 am »
It really seems like a shame that the 6006/6012/6012 are all supported but not the 6024.
Why is it like a shame?
This is not a commercial and not profitable project, just a hobby. And I was interested.
As for the RD6024/RD6012P, I don’t have it, and I do not want to spend money on their purchase.

As for the “shame”, it is better for you to write to developers, this is their work, they get money for this (unlike me).
What prevents them from going along the same way that I, to talk with customers, ask what they need, what they want to see in the firmware.

I think it's a shame that the great work you have done is not available on the RD6024 -- that should be taken as a compliment that your work is mightily appreciated and valued.
And it's a shame that the developers who are paid to do this have not done as good a job as you have on your hobby and don't seem to be interested in making anything but minor improvements to the existing firmware. If only they would be responsive to their customers...
And it's a shame that your work is not open source (though that is 100% your prerogative) so that others could extend all the great things you have done to other models without having to rely on your charity since you totally understandably don't have the resources to support other models.'
And finally, it's a shame on me, because if I had known about your great work and it's limitations to the earlier series, I would have ordered a RD6018 instead of a RD6024 -- again a tribute to your great work!

I hope that better explains what I was intending to say...

BTW, if it's a purely a matter of not having access to a 6024, I would be willing to help contribute to buy you one and/or test any mods necessary on my version. Though again, this is your hobby and I totally understand if you lack the time or interest to extend to other models. My hope though was that it would only require a simple change to a couple of limit parameters since otherwise the models and their UI's seem very similar, at least externally.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 05:25:08 am by puterboy »

The following users thanked this post: Eltax1693, ghoes, Cihan

Offline Flare

• Contributor
« Reply #1143 on: April 18, 2023, 01:56:51 pm »
I got in touch with Riden through Aliexpress, they asked for a video to prove that my unit both claimed fuse damage and still put out 12A. Their reply was:
"it should be rotate speed problem, when you rotate the encoder potentiometer too fast, it will come out, this will be optimized later with firmware update"

Offline fortunamatada

« Reply #1144 on: April 26, 2023, 11:17:23 pm »
Usually just lurk, but had to sign in to say thanks for all the work put in by Unisoft, Sunkmail, Dougg and bateau020.  The section about green being positive battery and not what I would normally associate green with, probably already saved me some excitement, though extra fuses are already on their way. 

The following users thanked this post: dougg

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1145 on: May 05, 2023, 11:22:42 pm »
Hi folks! Well, my old rd6006 running under unisoft rom (not updated since 2021, need to update it) powered by two serial noname pps from aliexpress 24v9a each (which never give 9A btw).
These two pps + rd6006 and i have sick noise 😱
So i build external output filter, upto 4A which i simply plug into dcdc's face panel 😁

2x 4pin noname choke inductors (they really can handle 4A, tested during 10min w/ halogen lamp), aliexpress says 10mH, but for me it's close to 0.1mH regarding tests & formulas https://a.aliexpress.com/_EJSTCM1
1 ceramic 10uF 50v
1 ceramic 4.7uF 50v

Ceramic goes after L.

So finally, sick noise dropped pretty good. 5V & 0.7A are on screenshots.

Lowest noise got w/ ground loop 🥲 (negative on PE & PE from scope oops), 14 & 15 pngs.
Another are when scope ground only, 16 & 17 pngs.

So, 9.5mv pk-pk let me time to find & buy good brand power supply 😁

And linear sweep 50Hz -> 3MHz throught that filter, 12 squares, so guess 250kHz per square. It works upto 1MHz.
For me thats fine cause output noises at 44kHz, 65kHz & ~474kHz.

I will test bit smaller ceramics also instead of 4.7uF.

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1146 on: May 07, 2023, 06:41:56 pm »
Well, better filter, 15v & 1.6A test.
L + 100uF (10x10uF ceramic)
L + 40uF (4x10uF ceramic)

Looks pretty nice.
Now the only waves i see are 1.47kHz and need to fight it 🤔

Upd: 1MOhm scope w/ 50Ohm termination. Idk if it matters 🤔
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 08:57:13 pm by nikitasius »

Offline ceut

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1147 on: May 11, 2023, 03:06:36 pm »
RK6006

I have ordered one from the first batch with the flash sale RD has made  :-+

Also I have told to one of my friend to buy it too (he was looking for a low cost PSU).
So he has ordered one at the standard price.

Now I'm waiting for receiving and then testing it  8)

Offline yuhar

• Contributor
« Reply #1148 on: May 14, 2023, 05:05:39 pm »
Latest pc-soft v1.0.0.15 didn't connect to RD6012P...

solution was:

in folder: Temp/Version.txt I changed RK to RD

it finally works.   ;)

or the "product line selection"    - at the small "gear" icon
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 05:16:47 pm by yuhar »

Offline wildekek

« Reply #1149 on: May 18, 2023, 01:19:06 pm »
Hey @UniSoft, thanks for the great work!

I made software for the WiFi adapter, so it can be used in ESPHome (and thus, in Home Assistant or any other automation software). It works great in combination with your firmware.
https://github.com/wildekek/riden-esphome

I took the liberty to create a mirror of your firmware on Github, just to make it easier for people to find and flash your firmware. Let me know if you're okay with that.
https://github.com/wildekek/riden-firmware-unisoft

The following users thanked this post: dougg, Cliff Matthews, UniSoft

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf