Author Topic: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply  (Read 418336 times)

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« Reply #1050 on: November 03, 2022, 10:38:02 pm »
that allows me to set a stable voltage and adjust the current (just decreasing) keeping the voltage always stable at the set value.

All powersupply works as you say, all can set a voltage level, some has the advantage of add a  max current value (this case) and some has the possibility to adjust a max power, but it's the same, internally V, I or both are clipped to agree with the ohm's law P=UxI. I think that you need is this mode, that stablish that the product of voltage and current has a max value, but not constant.

I give an example, if I connect a load that consumes 5A at 12V, say a light bulb, I can configure the power supply to 12V and adjust the current to 1.5A and the voltage is constant at 12V measured with the voltmeter on the lamp side, although the current supplied does not exceed 1.5A measured with a ammeter  (limits the current without lowering the voltage). The lamp, of course, will not light at full intensity. Honestly, I don't know what to call this mode of operation and how it works.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #1051 on: November 03, 2022, 10:44:32 pm »
I think constant power mode (CP) is wanted. This mode adds power limit line to "rectangular" CV/CC power envelope.

Keysight describes power regulation mode:
Power regulation is also known as power limiting or constant power mode (CP).

In CP mode, the DC output power is limited at the unit's maximum rated power. Power limiting operates according to the auto-ranging principle such that at lower output voltages higher current flows, and at higher output voltages lower current flows. This maintains the output power within the power rating of the unit supply.

When the power supply is at the constant power limit, the front panel CP status indicator is displayed. The CP status condition can also be read by by using SCPI commands.

The power supply can operate at the power limit without being damaged. However, the power supply is not guaranteed to meet specifications when operating in power limit mode. Output ripple may increase and neither output voltage or current is regulated.

In the figure above, the line representing load resistance B crosses the operating locus at point 2. Point 2 is on the output power boundary of the unit, so the power supply operates in CP mode. Press the Meter key to display the power (W) being supplied to the output.

RD6006 (also DPH, DPS models) PSUs have max power limit setting, but that is not the same as CP mode. CP mode is advanced feature found in very high end lab PSUs. Maybe it is possible to implement CP mode by constantly changing CV/CC values. On Riden, power limit simply limits entering too high current. From RD6006P manual:
Max Power is set to 380W by default, you can set it between 1-380W, it is the
max output power. The max output is default voltage priority mode, when the setting
voltage*setting current is higher than the max power, the device will automatically
decrease the output current setting value.

The following users thanked this post: ptluis

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #1052 on: November 04, 2022, 10:11:15 am »
I give an example, if I connect a load that consumes 5A at 12V, say a light bulb, I can configure the power supply to 12V and adjust the current to 1.5A and the voltage is constant at 12V measured with the voltmeter on the lamp side, although the current supplied does not exceed 1.5A measured with a ammeter  (limits the current without lowering the voltage). The lamp, of course, will not light at full intensity. Honestly, I don't know what to call this mode of operation and how it works.

Based on this description, that older power supply is lying to you.  It is displaying the voltage set point, but not the actual output voltage.
Set up the same test conditions with current limit at 1.4A and measure the voltage across the lamp with a DMM and it will not be 12V.

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1053 on: November 04, 2022, 11:20:06 pm »

Based on this description, that older power supply is lying to you.  It is displaying the voltage set point, but not the actual output voltage.
Set up the same test conditions with current limit at 1.4A and measure the voltage across the lamp with a DMM and it will not be 12V.

Kean, it makes sense, next year when I get home I'll try to remove the ceramic surrounding the electronics and try to understand how this power supply was built!
Believe it or not, I've never tested it with a DMM or oscilloscope, always trusted the voltmeter/ammeter. I rarely use it, just for some quick tests on DC electric motors.

Offline 999cgm

• Contributor
« Reply #1054 on: November 05, 2022, 08:02:44 am »
Hi Unisoft,

I am volunteering to test your custom firmware on RD6024 if you are kind to release a testing version for this platform (I assume you can decode the OEM and extract whatever is particular from there) .
I am thinking since the bootloader have the rescume mode we can always put the OE firmware . What do you say? I think you will make many happy that own RD6024

Also for wifi settings that RDflasher can change, can you publish some details on how is done ? I am a linux guy and if can do this via the python via /dev/ttyUSB0 again would help many of us that did not run Windows for ages.

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1055 on: November 19, 2022, 07:04:54 pm »
Unisoft, have you seen my previous post about a difference (always in excess) between the I value set as max and the actual current? It's a minor detail anyway.
Yes, I saw... I can’t reproduce it...
and I checked the code, I do not see any problems.

Offline Tarloth

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1056 on: November 19, 2022, 07:18:14 pm »
Unisoft, it's a bit strange, but it happens whenever I set the current limit down, ie, for example, I set at the beginning to 500mA and then set it to 450mA. In this case the current setting stays above the new set value. If in those moments I restart and set it to 450mA, it respects it perfectly without any failure. It's not a big deal but it's there. THANKS

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1057 on: November 19, 2022, 08:13:02 pm »
Hi,

I am volunteering to test your custom firmware on RD6024 if you are kind to release a testing version for this platform (I assume you can decode the OEM and extract whatever is particular from there) .
I am thinking since the bootloader have the rescume mode we can always put the OE firmware . What do you say? I think you will make many happy that own RD6024
I don't have it!
I can't decode the OEM because I don't know the encryption keys...
and to extract the keys need to have device on hands...

Also for wifi settings that RDflasher can change, can you publish some details on how is done ?
This is only for custom firmware... stock firmware doesn't have it...
Code: [Select]
Register: 906 (0x038A)
Data: (54 words (108 bytes) - here is the plain data as it sending over UART)
  55 AA FH FL X3 X2 X1 X0 PH PL R1 R0 SS SS SS SS
  SS SS SS SS SS SS SS SS SS SS SS SS SS SS SS SS
  SS SS SS SS SS SS SS SS SS SS SS 00 KK KK KK KK
  KK KK KK KK KK KK KK KK KK KK KK KK KK KK KK KK
  KK KK KK KK KK KK KK KK KK KK KK 00
where:
  55:AA - marker (0x55AA)
  FH:FL - flags (set it to 0)
  X3:X2:X1:X0 - IP address
  PH:PL - Port (can setup the port as well)(set to 0 to use default: 8080)
  R1:R0 - reserved
  SS...SS - 31 characters of SSID
  KK...KK - 63 characters of Password
wait for response for around 40 sec... It will response as soon as WIFI module respond.

Read Register: 512 (0x0200); Returns: 0x1234 (to detect custom firmware)
Read Register: 513 (0x0201); Returns: 3 (Protocol version; Configuring WIFI implemented since ver. 3)
Read Register: 515 (0x0203); Returns custom firmware revision(h):build(1) ->  V1.38.1h
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 08:28:05 pm by UniSoft »

Offline zetxx

« Reply #1058 on: November 21, 2022, 09:55:07 am »
Hi,

I don't have it!

Hi, firstly, thanks for the great your that you did with providing us with custom firmware.

if you can give us some hint how to extract the keys will be great.

Offline darkspr1te

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1059 on: November 22, 2022, 05:28:52 am »
Hi,

I don't have it!

Hi, firstly, thanks for the great your that you did with providing us with custom firmware.

if you can give us some hint how to extract the keys will be great.
I have done a write up on how the keys were extracted here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/rd60xx-mcu-controlled-power-units/

darkspr1te

The following users thanked this post: trazor

Offline zetxx

« Reply #1060 on: November 22, 2022, 04:37:29 pm »
thanks

Offline chrono

• Apollo-NG Mobile Hackbase
« Reply #1061 on: November 23, 2022, 12:50:45 pm »
Ahoy and thanks to unisoft and the whole community, who put in efforts for all of us to get the most out of our RD-600Xs. So here are a couple of things I also wanted to share:

I've been playing with RidenGUI for control via USB (https://github.com/ShayBox/RidenGUI) and can confirm that this works very well. Then I wanted to be able to
a) control the PSU via Home-Assistant and b) also get long-term logging data from the PSU which I could map in Grafana. The obvious choice here was to try to
install esphome onto the ESP12 that comes with the W models. This came up as a part of a discussion with Shaybox (see: https://github.com/ShayBox/RidenGUI/discussions/8).

This is going to be serving as a PSU for my lifepo4 diy powerwall project, thats why I want to log the long term data, to see the voltage/current curves of the initial top balance
over time and keep them logged automatically. If you're interested in the process how to flash the ESP12 module with esphome, you can watch the live episode
for it: https://odysee.com/@Apollo-NG:2/pimp-my-riden-1:1 (link fixed - thx @ledtester)

The only thing I havent figured out yet is the password section in unisoft FW - is that available somewhere?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 04:40:03 pm by chrono »

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: chrono

Offline bateau020

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1063 on: November 23, 2022, 07:53:28 pm »
The only thing I havent figured out yet is the password section in unisoft FW - is that available somewhere?

You probably do not mean the WiFi AP SSID and password. That is done by the ESP itself by default, but since you have reprogrammed the ESP, that is probably not your concern.

Do you mean the password that protects the calibration menu?

Offline chrono

• Apollo-NG Mobile Hackbase
« Reply #1064 on: November 24, 2022, 10:18:44 am »
Do you mean the password that protects the calibration menu?

exactly

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1065 on: November 24, 2022, 05:14:05 pm »
Read the manual
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/custom-firmware-reference-document-for-riden-rd60xx-power-supplies/

P.S: If nothing helps, finally read the manual...

The following users thanked this post: chrono

Offline idolclub

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1066 on: November 28, 2022, 08:23:10 pm »
RuiDeng releases new firmware for RD6006, RD6012 and RD6018 ~ 2022.11.28

Firmware V1.41 Release Notes for RD6006:

1.Fix the problem that some characters are garbled and missing.

2.Add fuse damage detection at output.

Firmware V1.36 Release Notes for RD6012:

1. Update the operation UI of the setting interface.

2. Add nixie tube style display digital font.

3. Add font color customization and modification function.

4. Add the maximum power limit function.

5. Add battery charging cut-off current and overtemperature shutdown settings.

6. Adjust the battery charging start and stop process logic.

7. Add RS485 communication function.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 08:27:55 pm by idolclub »

The following users thanked this post: Eltax1693

Offline szampon

« Reply #1067 on: January 03, 2023, 03:55:54 pm »
Hi Unisoft,

Great job , on all you did with all the custom firmware!
I have question, how to change the scale/time?

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1068 on: January 03, 2023, 05:51:09 pm »
how to change the scale/time?
“SHIFT”+ “▼”
‘Graph Window’ setting
read manual

Offline just daniel

« Reply #1069 on: January 03, 2023, 10:34:11 pm »
Hello UniSoft,
correct me if I'm wrong, but if a 6024 owner could extract the encryption keys and then pass them to You, would it be possible to make a 6024 version of Your software?

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1070 on: January 04, 2023, 09:15:16 pm »
...correct me if I'm wrong, ...extract the encryption keys ..., would it be possible to make a 6024 version of Your software?
Need to have a device on hands!

Offline Dos9570

• Contributor
« Reply #1071 on: January 08, 2023, 02:57:00 pm »
Does anyone know if the Joy-It branded Rd6006 etc. can be flashed with the custom firmware?

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1072 on: January 08, 2023, 03:10:29 pm »
Does anyone know if the Joy-It branded Rd6006 etc. can be flashed with the custom firmware?
Can be flashed!
see 5 posts up, attached screenshot...

Offline szampon

« Reply #1073 on: January 09, 2023, 02:23:35 pm »
I flashed, my 2 units JOY IT JT-RD6006 and JT-RD6012 everything work perfect

Offline SpottedDick

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1074 on: January 12, 2023, 10:49:33 pm »
With the RD6006 shooting up in price due to popularity, I've started looking to see if there's any budget friendly clones about.
Does anyone have any experience with any?

Of particular interest is the XY6008:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003726712996.html

However, I'm not getting any hits on YouTube etc to see if it's actually worth buying. I plan on buying two of them, so every $ saved matters.

EDIT:
This is only 5A 36V, but it does Buck/Boost, so could be used with a much easier to attain 12V supply:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003528188323.html

SD
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 11:03:26 pm by SpottedDick »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf