Author Topic: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply  (Read 367138 times)

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« Reply #450 on: December 04, 2020, 12:38:44 am »
1. If you scroll back and forward from Layout 0 to Layout 1, settings jump a few pixel up and down.
   You will see it, when you set Layout 1 equal to Layout 0 and jump between them.
This is not a BUG, I decreased the gap between groups (INPUT),(x-SET),(OxP),(x-BAT)
it was 6px, I changed it to 4px
The reason is simple: cannot fit 6 items + 3 gaps, so the last item wasn't displayed...
decreasing the gap helps to fit 6 items (in previous versions the last item will be lost, due not enough space to draw it)

2. Pressing "up" and "down" ... "up" stuck at "default".
yes, small BUG

3. It´s not a bug, only a beauty mark.
   Changing "Status Info" in the right bottom corner between two (Ah and Wh) and one line (Int. Temp.) the value will jump up and down a little.
This I can't change... the bottom space exactly 32px (so can fit exactly 2 strings with small font)
small font is 8x16px, bigger one 16x28px
here is where it come from

here is used fonts as it is

The following users thanked this post: nikitasius, BlueTronic

Offline Pukker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #451 on: December 04, 2020, 11:28:42 am »
Hi nikitasius,
My problem is the SMPS that is powering my RD6006. Not the actual RD6006, as I said the noise is still there when the RD6006 is switched off and my scope probes not connected to anything. I couldn't be bothered trying to resolved the issue in a cheap SMPS, it was just easier to order a 48v Meanwell and be done with it.

The best solution is to use a linear power supply as source. A decent toroidal and some caps...
As mentioned by nikitasius and Tatanka1961 a toroidal and good caps is not 2020, but still powerfull and noiseless.
Used an 2x45V / 11.11A transformer, 50A bridge and 2x8200uF.
Not an retro wooden case like nikitasius, but an old case from an CD-player, also retro.

See last picture, I have used an CR2032 holder and battery for the backup-battery.
Longer life and easy to change. Placing the battery behind the Wifi module is not handy.

Many compliments for Unisoft for the great job he did and does with the software.
His software is a great step foreward.

BTW. Power consumption with toroidal is below from what I expected.
With no load, RD6012 switched on, 6 watt total power consumption.
Not bad for an 1000VA transformer.
With 24 Volts, 7A load, 168 Watts, consumption is 195 Watt, which means 85% efficiency.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 01:31:51 pm by Pukker »

The following users thanked this post: nikitasius

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #452 on: December 04, 2020, 02:00:54 pm »
Hi nikitasius,
My problem is the SMPS that is powering my RD6006. Not the actual RD6006, as I said the noise is still there when the RD6006 is switched off and my scope probes not connected to anything. I couldn't be bothered trying to resolved the issue in a cheap SMPS, it was just easier to order a 48v Meanwell and be done with it.

The best solution is to use a linear power supply as source. A decent toroidal and some caps...

Yep. I already fond some nice toroidal transformers on TME.
One from Polland brand and one from Germany.
Asked both about idle current, only polish folks answered me (less than 50mA for 450VA toroidal). German folks from Talema still did not answered (already 2 days passed).

Planning to use two toroidals in the best scénario 😁
There are idlers that want to have money without working and fools that are ready to work without becoming rich.

Offline BlueTronic

• Contributor
« Reply #453 on: December 07, 2020, 04:38:02 pm »
Hi Unisoft

Two questions:

1. Did your FW change the calibration values in the EEPROM?
   I´m asking, because there were little differences in the readings (Display) between version 6c and 6d (or 6d and 6e, I´m not sure at the moment).
   For Example: Setting voltage to 37V -> the Version 6c shows me 36,98V and 6d displayed exactly 37,00V.

2. In V1.31.6e
   What exactly does "Graph Windows" in the menu "Current Session" (Shift + Up)?

Thank you in advance.

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #454 on: December 07, 2020, 04:55:42 pm »
Hi

1. Did your FW change the calibration values in the EEPROM?
   I´m asking, because there were little differences in the readings (Display) between version 6c and 6d (or 6d and 6e, I´m not sure at the moment).
   For Example: Setting voltage to 37V -> the Version 6c shows me 36,98V and 6d displayed exactly 37,00V.
No... I use the same calibration values as in stock firmware...

2. In V1.31.6e
   What exactly does "Graph Windows" in the menu "Current Session" (Shift + Up)?
"Graph Windows" - Time that fits into the chart window...

The following users thanked this post: Pukker, BlueTronic

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #455 on: December 09, 2020, 08:31:28 am »
RD60xx have a small hardware problem...
There is a surge at the output when the primary power supply is turned on.
Here are screenshots taken by different people.
RD6006

RD6012 (this screenshot made by me)

This is a hardware problem.
When TL594 is turned on (until it enters operating mode), it starts generating pulses at the output.
CH1 - PSU output; CH2 - output of TL594 (pin 10)

How to get rid of it.
TL594 has function: DTC (pin 4).
Let's see what's in there ...
CH1 - PSU output; CH2 - TL594 DTC (pin 4)

datasheet says:
8.3.4 Dead-Time Control The dead-time control input provides control of the minimum dead time (off time). The output of the comparator inhibits switching transistors Q1 and Q2 when the voltage at the input is greater than the ramp voltage of the oscillator. An internal offset of 110 mV ensures a minimum dead time of approximately 3% with the dead-time control input grounded. Applying a voltage to the dead-time control input can impose additional dead time. This provides a linear control of the dead time from its minimum of 3% to 100% as the input voltage is varied from 0 V to 3.3 V, respectively. With full-range control, the output can be controlled from external sources without disrupting the error amplifiers. The dead-time control input is a relatively high-impedance input (II < 10 µA) and must be used where additional control of the output duty cycle is required. However, for proper control, the input must be terminated. An open circuit is an undefined condition.
So, let's try to increase the dead-time...
To do this, we need to either increase the capacitance (C6), or increase the resistance (R22)...

I replaced 1K (R22) by 43K resistor (now can see that 56K will be better),
and get startup delay ~140ms

As a result, the surge at the output when the primary power supply is turned on, becomes much smaller.

If to increase the resistance of the resistor even more (thereby increasing the turn-on delay),
then this surge at the output will become even less or completely disappear.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 08:52:03 am by UniSoft »

The following users thanked this post: purpose, Cliff Matthews, Pukker, nikitasius, BlueTronic, trmntr

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #456 on: December 09, 2020, 08:34:13 pm »
Good find and solution UniSoft :-+

Do you think it's possible to stretch this out to ~1 second so there's almost no excess voltage upon startup with a larger cap? The resistor is limited by the IC pin bias current, so a larger cap may be necessary.

Also did you or anyone notice a glitch on the supply turn off? I ask, because long ago we had a well known brand PS that destroyed some very expensive development electronics in our lab. It happened 3 times before we found what the source was, the supply was producing a glitch (few 10s of ns wide) at turn off and frying the main chip  |O

Any updates on the 6006P verision?

Best,

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline Tatanka1961

• Contributor
« Reply #457 on: December 09, 2020, 09:05:20 pm »
Hi people,
I have a problem with my RD6012. When I supply input power, nothing happens.
Until D10, I have the input voltage, but at the input of U5 I only get 2V
I think R72 is the culprit. As far as I can tell it should be 1.5 Ohm, but it's not on the schematic for the RD6006 I found here.  When I measure it, I get 190K...
Does someone have the schematic for the RD6012?

Thanks in advance.

The following users thanked this post: rankamateur

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #458 on: December 09, 2020, 09:29:08 pm »
I have a problem with my RD6012. When I supply input power, nothing happens.
Until D10, I have the input voltage, but at the input of U5 I only get 2V
I think R72 is the culprit. As far as I can tell it should be 1.5 Ohm, but it's not on the schematic for the RD6006 I found here.  When I measure it, I get 190K...
Does someone have the schematic for the RD6012?
There is no schematics for RD601x  :(
Yes it is 1.5 Ohm
Developers added this resistor only in the latest revision of RD6006...
Input -> diod D10 (in latest revision of RD6006 they put the jumper (0 Ohm) instead) -> resistor 1.5 Ohm R72 -> XL7015 (pin 1)
change resistor

The following users thanked this post: Tatanka1961

Offline Tatanka1961

• Contributor
« Reply #459 on: December 09, 2020, 09:42:03 pm »
Hi Unisoft,

Thanks for your reply! I will check tomorrow if I have a suitable resistor.
I hope it's the only thing that's bad...

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #460 on: December 10, 2020, 12:06:11 am »
I replaced 1K (R22) by 43K resistor (now can see that 56K will be better),
and get startup delay ~140ms

But 30C resistor it's 20k, not a 1k normally.
There are idlers that want to have money without working and fools that are ready to work without becoming rich.

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #461 on: December 10, 2020, 12:09:06 am »
But 30C resistor it's 20k, not a 1k normally.
RD6006 - 20K; RD6012/RD6018 - 1K (01B)

The following users thanked this post: nikitasius

Offline Tatanka1961

• Contributor
« Reply #462 on: December 10, 2020, 08:56:12 am »
Yes it is 1.5 Ohm
Developers added this resistor only in the latest revision of RD6006...
Input -> diod D10 (in latest revision of RD6006 they put the jumper (0 Ohm) instead) -> resistor 1.5 Ohm R72 -> XL7015 (pin 1)
change resistor

I replaced the resistor with a 2,7 Ohm 3W (closest I had) and it's working again!  :-+
Still wondering how this resistor got bad... No sign of overheating.

The following users thanked this post: Pukker, nikitasius

Offline BlueTronic

• Contributor
« Reply #463 on: December 10, 2020, 11:20:13 pm »
Hi Unisoft

Do you know what the LED D0 and D8 indicates (on a RD6012 -> at RD6006 the LED D0 has the indication D01).
I´m think the LED D0 indicates a blown fuse (F3), but I´m not sure, because the conductor path branches off the LED (C22 deleted to follow the trace) and goes under the relay (K1) - it should be the line for V-Measurement (input OP-AMP)?!

RD6012-LED" border="0

I also searched under https://monitor.net.ru/forum/threads/651114/ - but found nothing about this two LED.  |O

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #464 on: December 11, 2020, 12:58:49 am »
Do you know what the LED D0 and D8 indicates (on a RD6012 -> at RD6006 the LED D0 has the indication D01).
I´m think the LED D0 indicates a blown fuse (F3), but I´m not sure, because the conductor path branches off the LED (C22 deleted to follow the trace) and goes under the relay (K1) - it should be the line for V-Measurement (input OP-AMP)?!
You can see it in schematics.
Yes LED D0 will lit if blown fuse.
LED D8 is actually not used at all... this is some kind of LVP/UVP protection...
If the INPUT voltage will drop, the logic will start to decrease output voltage...
This function is not used and not implemented...

The following users thanked this post: BlueTronic

Offline BlueTronic

• Contributor
« Reply #465 on: December 12, 2020, 11:39:54 pm »
Hi Unisoft

Two changes in the beta version (last v1.31.6e) if possible.

1. A menu point, where the user can define the multiplicator for V-Set and I-Set.
   After switching off and on the PSU, the multiplicator is always at the first digit.
   Maybe two menu points - one for V-Set and one for I-Set.

And the menu "Save Mult." can be use for: if activated     -> jump to the last change multiplicator
                                                                  if deactivated -> jump to user define multiplicator

2. If you change the voltage or current (by pressing V-Set or I-Set button) and turn the output on, the V-Set or I-Set will be deactivated (you have to press it again).
   Can you program a menu point where the user can define the V-Set and I-Set is deactivated or always activated after pressing the output button (on/off/on...).

Thanks Unisoft

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #466 on: December 13, 2020, 12:15:45 am »
1. After switching off and on the PSU, the multiplicator is always at the first digit.
This is done on purpose for security reasons.
To prevent the user from accidentally significantly increasing the voltage/current by mistake.
There is no difficulty in choosing the required multiplier once after switching on (if enabled "Save Mult.").

2. If you change the voltage or current (by pressing V-Set or I-Set button) and turn the output on, the V-Set or I-Set will be deactivated (you have to press it again).
This feature has been implemented for a long time.
"SkipExitIVSet"
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 01:25:07 am by UniSoft »

The following users thanked this post: BlueTronic

Offline Pukker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #467 on: December 13, 2020, 06:17:53 pm »
@Unisoft.

Thanks for your great software.
It makes my RD6012 much more comfortable.

One question,
When I press shift I get the screen with Memory table,
that works fine, but from M1 to M9, the odd numbers,
the OPP shows OFF. The even numbers show correct.
All are preprogrammed, also working when I call them back.
Problem is only cosmetic as far I can see.
I use version V1.31.6e.

Thanks again.

The following users thanked this post: UniSoft

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #468 on: December 13, 2020, 06:59:53 pm »
When I press shift I get the screen with Memory table,
that works fine, but from M1 to M9, the odd numbers,
the OPP shows OFF. The even numbers show correct.
All are preprogrammed, also working when I call them back.
Problem is only cosmetic as far I can see.
Thanks!
yes confirm, there is a BUG... will be fixed in next version...
affected only RD6012 and RD6018...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 08:41:01 pm by UniSoft »

The following users thanked this post: Pukker

Offline BlueTronic

• Contributor
« Reply #469 on: December 13, 2020, 08:10:07 pm »
Hi Unisoft

This is done on purpose for security reasons.
To prevent the user from accidentally significantly increasing the voltage/current by mistake.
There is no difficulty in choosing the required multiplier once after switching on (if enabled "Save Mult.").
You are right and I totally agree with that.
But I think when the user decided to change the multiplier, than he SHOULD know what he do.

This feature has been implemented for a long time.
"SkipExitIVSet"
I thought the "SkipExitIVSet" is for activating the "IVSET Timeout" (I just saw there is an off position for that). Sorry, it was my mistake.  :palm:

Offline BlueTronic

• Contributor
« Reply #470 on: December 13, 2020, 10:13:51 pm »
Hi Unisoft

LED D8 is actually not used at all... this is some kind of LVP/UVP protection...
If the INPUT voltage will drop, the logic will start to decrease output voltage...
This function is not used and not implemented...
I want to see, when the LED D8 will light up so I decided to feed my RD6012 with minimum voltages.
Here my test results:

at 3,40V            LED D8 flashes once (measured voltage on U3 is only 4,70V (instead 8,30V)).
3,50V to 3,80V  LED D8 light up continuously (voltage on U3 is 8,30V).
3,90V to 4,10V  LED D8 light up for 1-2sec
at 4,20V            LED D8 light up for 1-2sec and displays shows Bootloader (maybe the voltage are to low on U8 (W25Q32JVSIQ) to read the FW from the memory?)
4,30V to 4,50V   LED D8 light up for 1-2sec and Riden try to boot and crashes (maybe the same issue with low voltage on U8)
4,60V to 5,10V* LED D8 light up for 1sec, Riden boot normaly, but the ARM MCU crashes when turning on the output.
5,20V to 5,40V   LED D8 doesn´t light up, only the display flickers once when turning on the output -> But everything works normally.

------------

It doesn´t make sense, if LVP/UVP use it for the internal components to protect them or what else.... because the last working components which works normally is
the ARM MCU itself, and only the MCU set the UVP thereshold voltage (connected to the positive input of the OP AMP (U8 - LM321).

It would make only sense if you use a transformer -> why, because they don´t have a regulated output voltage. :P
The MCU measure the idle input voltage and when the loaded input voltage are lower then for example 2V, the MCU will decrease the output voltage/current to protect the transformer.

It´s just my opinion.  ;)

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #471 on: December 14, 2020, 10:02:51 am »
Hi folks, here are photos of my RD6006 (rev. 2020/02/29 & 2020/08/18) which i got 5 days ago.
There are IR photos and visible.
Amazon Drive link: https://www.amazon.fr/clouddrive/share/JpnXIYJ9kyuyhEC7O0J1GQfmajVNoMYGsr7tKXLW1JK

Can't attach them, due it's full résolution from my dslr and mirorrless and forum say " Restrictions: 10 per post, maximum total size 5000KB, maximum individual size 4000KB ". I've attached a screenshot to show you how it looks like.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 10:22:57 am by nikitasius »

The following users thanked this post: trazor, BlueTronic

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #472 on: December 16, 2020, 03:44:18 am »
latest beta versions available here...
https://monitor.net.ru/forum/threads/651114/post-6092215

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, Pukker, Jacon, pauledd, trazor

Offline pauledd

• Regular Contributor
  • Riesige Gepanzerte Luftschiffe
« Reply #473 on: December 16, 2020, 07:10:39 am »
Hi there

I didn't read through all the pages but would it be technically possible to somehow log values of the RD6006 over USB?
For example while charging a battery it would be quite handy if the USB port could act as a serial output and send voltage and current
as simple plain numbers that I can receive on my desktop pc for example on a simple terminal window or even better a live chart with Processing... Those charts in the original riden software is quite unusable.
human being - without Windows® - excuse my bad english

Offline HKJ

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #474 on: December 16, 2020, 07:35:35 am »
Hi there

I didn't read through all the pages but would it be technically possible to somehow log values of the RD6006 over USB?
For example while charging a battery it would be quite handy if the USB port could act as a serial output and send voltage and current
as simple plain numbers that I can receive on my desktop pc for example on a simple terminal window or even better a live chart with Processing... Those charts in the original riden software is quite unusable.

Check out TestController: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/program-that-can-log-from-many-multimeters/ it supports the RD6006 & RD6012

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf