Author Topic: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply  (Read 412047 times)

Offline immajor

Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« Reply #1100 on: February 03, 2023, 02:41:34 pm »
I've purchased an XY6008 myself, someone has to be the guinea pig!

I went more mainstream for the PSU and bought a Meanwell 400W 48V to power it.

If anyone is interested in the performance of this unit, let me know what you'd like tested. I have a scope and all here, so can do a reasonable amount of testing.

Should be up and running in a month.
Hi!

Do you have any news on this XY6008?
I would like to know how it operates and the output ripple with and without a load :)

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 02:43:29 pm by immajor »

Offline SpottedDick

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1101 on: February 03, 2023, 06:18:48 pm »
Cheers for the offer, but I had sold the XY6008 and purchased the RD6018 in the meantime.
I'm still going to use the MeanWell 48V 8.3A in the meantime, but it means i've an upgrade path if necessary.

What's the cheapest you can get the cases for?

Offline SpottedDick

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1102 on: February 03, 2023, 06:20:13 pm »

Hi!

I would like to know how it operates and the output ripple with and without a load :)

Thanks

Sorry, but I decided to sell on the XY6008 and get a RD6018 instead, that eBay offer was too good to pass up!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 06:28:33 pm by SpottedDick »

Offline immajor

« Reply #1103 on: February 03, 2023, 11:05:33 pm »
Sorry, but I decided to sell on the XY6008 and get a RD6018 instead, that eBay offer was too good to pass up!

I understand. If I would have someone in the UK I would order it too and have them send it over. I live in Hungary, so unfortunately I cannot enjoy this discount price :(

If you decide to sell the RD6018 also, send me a PM  ;D  :-+

The following users thanked this post: SpottedDick

Offline SpottedDick

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1104 on: February 05, 2023, 02:00:22 am »
Hi!

Thanks

Hey,

I managed to get my hands on an XY6008. It's a great unit for the price!

The only issue I seen was connecting a 7A load immediately shutdown the tester, but that might have been my load tester overshooting and hitting the OCP.

I ramped from 1-7.5A in 1A jumps and couldn't see anything wrong on the waveform, only at turn on there was a <500mV drop, and at turn off at 7.5A, there was a <500mV overshoot. This was at 20V, so not of concern.

Unfortunately my scope wasn't good enough to measure the ripple. I couldn't see any.

The remote seems stupid, but because there's no room for a keypad on the device, the remote is actually fantastic for navigating the menu. It was actually a clever design choice. I really like it.

Definitely a great unit for the price. It's so compact as well, with an external supply it would be great for those with limited desk space.

Offline Pukker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1105 on: February 05, 2023, 11:02:02 am »

However, as explained above, the I-SET value will always be within the power limits of the PSU unit, so the current will always be limited to a safe value by the I-SET configuration. The difference with the OCP function is that the I-SET limit will not turn off the PSU outputs, wheres the OCP will. The way I see it is that the OCP function is to protect the stuff that is connected to the PSU outputs, not to protect the PSU itself.

I think you are thinking the wrong way.
OVP and OCP are more related with the power supply the Riden is powered.
For example: when your Riden6006 is powered with an 40V - 4A unit,
you can set OVP to 36V (some regulation range) and OCP to 3.5A,
so you can not overload or damage the power suply.
I-set and V-set are used to set Voltage en max. Current according the connected device
at the outputs of the Riden.

BTW, nice project your curvetracer.

Offline mbrennwa

« Reply #1106 on: February 12, 2023, 10:09:34 am »
Are you saying that it's not possible to disable the OCP function?
There is no other way to disable OCP... (Only by setting it to the higher value than I-SET)

device itself allows to set OCP to 12.2A (can see in screenshot)
[/quote]

Turns out this really does work on my unit. However, it did not work out of the box. It started working as you described after I accidentally set the OCP value to 60 A in my Python code. The 6012p surprisingly accepted this OCP value without throwing an error. After that, I was able to set the OCP value to 12.2 A, so the OCP function does nothing even it the output current reaches 12.0 A. It's a bit weird that this did not work from the start, but now it's all good. Looks like the stock firmware/software has some quirks that needed to be "flushed out of the system" first...

Offline dougg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1107 on: February 12, 2023, 09:50:15 pm »
As pointed out in this document:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/custom-firmware-reference-document-for-riden-rd60xx-power-supplies/msg3482952/#msg3482952
in the OCP section: if OCP is set to zero then it is _disabled_. That document describes UnisSoft's firmware and I tested it on my RD6018 and it was disabled. To stress the point the OCP setting on the display is blanked out when OCP is set to zero. The displayed OCP value will re-appear when it is set to a value > 0. Also pointed out is that current limiting (i.e. when I-SET is reached) is under hardware control, so it does not involve software monitoring and action when triggered. OTOH OCP is under software control, thus it is potentially delayed by the time it takes for the ADC to report the higher current, the monitoring loop time (or interrupt reaction time) of the software, then the time for that software to shut down the output. It may even have a glitch filter, or a window, in which multiple ADC readings need to exceed the OCP setting before the software reacts. IOWs current limiting reacts a lot faster than OCP.
A question about current limiting, it assumes the load is resistive, so current will be reduced when the PS reduces its output voltage. But what if the load _increases_ its current draw when the voltage is reduced (e.g. to maintain the supplied power)?

Offline Eheran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1108 on: March 21, 2023, 11:20:09 am »
RD6006P:
The external temperature measurement is only displayed to 1 °C resolution, but the "ADC(T*ex)" value that I can see on the display (at least with custom firmware RD60065_V1.41.1h) is much more granular, better than 0.1 °C resolution would be possible. A reading of ADC 1781 = 31° C, once it goes up 1 °C it is at ADC 1738 = 32° C, so 0.02 °C per ADC step. The NTC is non-linear, so the resolution is not linear, but I dont think that should be an issue. Using the library from ShayBox to read the value in Python, there seems to be no way to get a higher resolution of the temperature, it is directly read as an integer. Maybe I can do a quick hack to check what the Riden sends out (maybe a float instead of int?). It does not seem to be possible to get the ADC values directly. I would like to have higher resolution on the screen (-> firmware change @UniSoft) as well as computer (-> firmware and/or software change).

Also, @UniSoft, when cycling through the different values in the bottom right (using the up/down arrows), there is an option to display internal and external temperature alone, but there is no indication which one is which. When both are displayed at once (and thus much smaller), it says (INT) and (EXT) behind the values. Maybe add that to the "only one value" mode.

Edit: It is a firmware thing, the values get sent as integers. But not just temperature, all of them, they are then divided by a device specific divisor like Voltage has 1'000 for the 6006P or 100 for the 6006 (Value 1234 = 1.234 V // 12.34V). So no way to get to those values without a firmware change  :'(
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 01:24:05 pm by Eheran »

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1109 on: March 27, 2023, 04:22:56 am »
The external temperature measurement is only displayed to 1 °C resolution, but ... 0.1 °C resolution would be possible.
Yes, possible... but what for?

...there seems to be no way to get a higher resolution of the temperature
It does not seem to be possible to get the ADC values directly.
Yes, now there is no way.
No one requested such functionality.

...as well as computer (-> firmware and/or software change).
I did not change the software.

there is an option to display internal and external temperature alone, but there is no indication which one is which.
What do you mean?
INT - Internal (NTC soldered on the pcb, near to the heat sink).
EXT - External, connected by the cable (intended to control Battery charging process).

When both are displayed at once (and thus much smaller), it says (INT) and (EXT) behind the values. Maybe add that to the "only one value" mode.
It is better to enable showing the temperature inside the battery icon
Menu -> Home -> T°Ext icon
Internal temperature showing on the top in the header, External will be on battery icon

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Eheran

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1110 on: March 29, 2023, 07:30:39 am »
The external temperature measurement is only displayed to 1 °C resolution, but ... 0.1 °C resolution would be possible.
Yes, possible... but what for?
Example: A higher resolution makes it easier to use the derivative, change of temperature over time, to cut off battery charging. Currently, with only 1 °C resolution, the required filtering needed to get away from the step-wise character of the heating defeats the purpose - since it then reacts too slow to a "fast" change. Why not just give the data directly to the user like with anything else?
I could also ask the same question why anyone would need a 6006P instead of the 6006. And the answer is exactly the same: For better control.

What do you mean?
I know what INT and EXT mean, and when they are displayed, everything is clear. But there is a display mode where you cycle through both values and there is no indication which one is which. If you like I will make a video to show what I mean.

Offline Seanster

• BrainImplants.com
« Reply #1111 on: March 30, 2023, 06:40:04 am »
I just tried RidenPowerSupply_V1.0.0.15 and noticed that the wifi option started working. v14 was no-go for me.

Offline Honusnap

• Contributor
« Reply #1112 on: April 02, 2023, 08:44:11 am »
Hi,
Did you changed something in your way of connecting or parameters ?
I can't connect to mine .. for a year i tried many times with no success, i replaced my wifi router (Huawei) with a new one (Tp-Link) and it still do not work ...

With my computer the RD6018 do not even show the IP adresse of the computer
With my android phone, it display my phone IP but .. do not go further

It's really frustrating, i bought this wifi option and put the wifi card correctly i suppose... but still never was able to use this feature.

I followed many videos on youtube to connect .. nope .. nothing.

What i do not understand is why there is no way of configuring it myself without going through this non working"distribution" and auto settings process, i know my settings, i would like to be able to put my own Wifi name and password and client IP IN the riden settings (the pc or android phone are client not server as i seen on some post/pdf).

I use AES encryption for the password on my router ... is this the problem ?

1752020-0
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 09:00:26 am by Honusnap »

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1113 on: April 02, 2023, 01:47:19 pm »
...the pc or android phone are client not server as i seen on some post/pdf
Server! It is RDxxxx establish connection with PC software or Android App.
When connection established, app/software working as a master.
And therefore you application/software should be launched before you power on RDxxxx.

What i do not understand is why there is no way of configuring it myself without going through this non working"distribution" and auto settings process
Ask developers... My custom firmware allows to setup WiFi manually (from PC).

i would like to be able to put my own Wifi name and password and client IP IN the riden settings
Server IP...
IP address of the server, which RDXXXXX is trying to connect to.

I use AES encryption for the password on my router ... is this the problem ?
Should not be. Datasheet states that ESP-12F support AES

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1114 on: April 02, 2023, 02:07:14 pm »
Example: A higher resolution makes it easier to use the derivative, change of temperature over time, to cut off battery charging. Currently, with only 1 °C resolution, the required filtering needed to get away from the step-wise character of the heating defeats the purpose - since it then reacts too slow to a "fast" change. Why not just give the data directly to the user like with anything else?
I will add function to read plain ADC values (If I don't forget).

...But there is a display mode where you cycle through both values and there is no indication which one is which. If you like I will make a video to show what I mean.
Ah, I realized what you mean. It came from the stock firmware, where there was no indication.
There used the font which is not complete (only numbers, point and several letters VAW).

Offline Honusnap

• Contributor
« Reply #1115 on: April 02, 2023, 06:12:35 pm »
Well .. a server that connect to a client is called a server initiated connection, that do not makes it a client, that's not the way they connect that define client and server.

Ressources, informations are on the Ruiden, and even if he send them or "force them into" the client, that do not makes it a client.

Elaborate cause there is maybe something unusual in the way they communicate.

Offline bateau020

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1116 on: April 02, 2023, 06:55:59 pm »
Elaborate cause there is maybe something unusual in the way they communicate.

The communication is based on modbus. And there the terminology is somewhat counter-intuitive initially.

Once configured, the RD60xx initiates an IP connection to what it calls a "server", and starts talking to that and only that server. The WiFi module will not allow incoming IP connections from other devices. The RD60xx expects the "server" to be listening on port 8080.

Outside of the mobile app and the windows software, several python packages exist that can talk to the RD.

If you use the custom firmware (and I suggest doing so), you might find the text in chapter 19 of the custom firmware document https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/custom-firmware-reference-document-for-riden-rd60xx-power-supplies/ helpful. I tried making that as explicit as possible, but tell me if there are things in there that you do not understand, and I'll adapt.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 12:03:03 am by bateau020 »

Offline Honusnap

• Contributor
« Reply #1117 on: April 03, 2023, 08:04:49 am »
Hello,

I think i got it ... strange that it's all swapped, maybe cause it's easier to update the application then the firmware for futur improvment.
So the Riden that got all informations, that is the one sharing informations... will connect to a server AT START, which mean you got to switch the riden off and on to switch from android app to pc app .. which is pretty bad design in my opinion, but there are certainly reasons for that.

So the Riden is pushing data to the android/pc client, i'm certainly missing something on the advantage of this technic.

For me the Riden got all data (voltage, current .. etc) and clients shjould connect to it and ask for those data : "Hi Jarris i'm Paul, give me the voltage please" => "The voltage is 34.2V".
Here it seems it work this way "Hi Paul, i'm Jarris, you are the server but i will push you all datas i got, the vboltage is 32.4V, amperage is 3.2A... etc"...

And what is insane is that if you want your Jarris (Riden) to talk to George (The PC) instead of Paul (The Android phone), you got to switch off Jarris and reparameter it ...

Yea i certainly missed something here .... it makes no sense to me, but i'm certainly too old now i guess ..  >:D

The following users thanked this post: luudee

Offline bateau020

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1118 on: April 03, 2023, 08:40:53 am »
It is disturbing indeed. There are people that have reprogrammed the WiFi module, to make it more compatible with real modbus or esphome.
Some pointers:
https://github.com/MathiasMoog/Rd6006ModbusTcp
https://github.com/MDBInd/RD6006P

..and I still have a plan to make it talk SCPI, which would make it much more "grown up". It is just that there are other priorities.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 08:58:23 am by bateau020 »

Offline Honusnap

• Contributor
« Reply #1119 on: April 03, 2023, 06:39:27 pm »
Yea seen some things to conect to Home assistant too ..  ;)

Offline dougg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1120 on: April 06, 2023, 02:36:26 am »
Some general observations that may be useful to others. I tried to use my RD6006P as a Voltmeter with the ON/OFF switch set to OFF. It worked but something was loading down my circuit. So I measured the resistance between the red and black terminals on the 6P, a RD6018 and an Agilent U8001A. All were in the range from 1 to 7 Ohms and changed depending on the polarity of the resistance measurement (with a BM786). So not much of a Voltmeter. Then I remembered the the green (middle) terminal was high impedance when OFF (due to a relay) but still managed to read the Voltage (wrt to the black) and it is displayed as Vbatt. So I found a useful Voltmeter. As Dave said: you can never have enough multimeters; in my case Voltmeters. Why so many Voltmeters: with DC-DC converters there is Vin, Vbus and Vfb and if current is being sent across a long cable, 12 metres in my case, there is the drop across the cable.

Another observation for anyone _not_ using a floating source to power for a Riden PS. Ground ain't ground! IOWs one must _not_ assume the black terminal on the front is the same potential as the negative input rail to the Riden PS. I'm holding a MeanWell GST120A20-P1M that I've used to power the Riden. The first danger sign is that it has a 3 pin IEC (?) socket for AC power in. Is the protective ground (of the house) wired to the negative DC output lead? Yes it damn well is. So if it powers a RD60xxy PS then the black terminal is not the same potential as the protective ground of the house. To complete the potential disaster there is test equipment: the ground on 'scopes and spectrum analyzers is connected to the protective house ground (apart from the USB *** variants); power supplies: the U8001A is floating with a separate _green_ terminal for the house protective ground, the Ridens ... see above; DC load: floating (thank heavens); and finally the surprise (to me): Siglent have connected the negative (shield) on their SDG2042X to the house protective ground (why ???).

So what is the voltage between the negative (Black) terminal on my RD6006P powered by the MeanWell PS and the ground on my 'scope (DS2202)? 60 Vrms at 60 Hz (I'm in Canada) or around 180 Vpp.

*** USB (I'm told, can't find the spec reference) is _not_ supposed to connect house protective ground to the USB Ground, at least not in a power supply (e.g. USB PD Source). But that can happen when USB is used in "non-power-supply" scenarios, such as on the front panel of that DS2202 'scope. And Dell, bless their souls, chose to protective ground the USB hub in their U2515 screen. I have a fried Saleae Logic 16 that can attest to why I don't like Dell as much any more.

The following users thanked this post: nikitasius

Offline bateau020

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1121 on: April 06, 2023, 05:31:51 am »
*** USB (I'm told, can't find the spec reference) is _not_ supposed to connect house protective ground to the USB Ground, at least not in a power supply (e.g. USB PD Source). But that can happen when USB is used in "non-power-supply" scenarios, such as on the front panel of that DS2202 'scope. And Dell, bless their souls, chose to protective ground the USB hub in their U2515 screen. I have a fried Saleae Logic 16 that can attest to why I don't like Dell as much any more.
This is somewhat off topic, but USB isolators can be of great help, and I even consider them to be mandatory when doing USB based measurements. USB2 isolators (that are sufficient in most cases) are cheap, as are isolated USB-TTL serial devices. Just do not trust all you can find on Ali, some have 40V isolation, others 400V. A good USB3 isolator for example is the Intona 7055-D (but you have to use good quality cables, it does not like some of my cables). My (early) ALLDAQ ADQ-USB 3.0-ISO-PS has problems with 480Mbps, but others report no problems with it.

The following users thanked this post: dougg

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1122 on: April 08, 2023, 08:10:35 pm »
Mine is pretty old on a custom firmware (aren't updated for 3y guess 😁).
It's powered by 2 chinese pulse ps, 24/6 or 24/8, so it gives me 48v max.
I have 80-110mV pk-pk on 5v or 20v (20v had 23W load w/ a bulb).
Output ripple goes on 3 freq:
• 22kHz
• 65kHz
• 474kHz

So i will make simply filter to the output. Just to share w/ you folks.
Chinese pps from Aliexpress are pretty noisy also, but 1st is to remove output noise for low voltage (<25v) device.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 08:13:01 pm by nikitasius »
There are idlers that want to have money without working and fools that are ready to work without becoming rich.

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1123 on: April 08, 2023, 10:10:45 pm »
So what is the voltage between the negative (Black) terminal on my RD6006P powered by the MeanWell PS and the ground on my 'scope (DS2202)? 60 Vrms at 60 Hz (I'm in Canada) or around 180 Vpp.

I pretty sure it's cause of shitty RD6006 schema. Almost 102V AC between rd6006 and ground (scope's) or almost 50 AV between RD6006 and ungrounded me.

Upd: tomorrow i will check how many mA there.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 10:55:30 pm by nikitasius »
There are idlers that want to have money without working and fools that are ready to work without becoming rich.

Offline nikitasius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1124 on: April 09, 2023, 09:35:49 am »
Well, dcdc 2 ground: 102v AC 0.27mA AC.
France, 238V/50Hz.

Upd: in my case it comes from pulse power supplies.

dougg, check your ps please.

My friend say it's due capacity filters at ac-dc powersupplies.
So the solution will be ground one of the exits of rd6006 to main ground of my home. Cause ground need to be one.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 10:16:35 am by nikitasius »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf