Author Topic: R&S. Seriously?  (Read 15366 times)

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
Re: R&S. Seriously?
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 07:38:44 pm »
SM7b mic, "voice of god" plug-in, pitch shifted down a little, plus I think some dodgy editing where words are cut and pasted together from different takes/sections.

Sounds like they were trying to go for the big "Coming soon" at the movies voice and missing the mark (perhaps with a bit of Neo thrown in).

Heard and seen worse, a lot worse.

Offline manticore00

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 07:51:19 pm »
I've never had to buy T & M equipment like this in a professional sense, but I've got plenty of experience buying software and systems and this sort of marketing never grabs my attention. Maybe this stuff is focus a CxOs and other higher ups, but when it eventually filters down to my level I tend to give the marketing speak short shrift and just say, "give me a live demo and then let me play with it." My first hurdle is always what Dave uses when testing kit, if as an educated and experienced engineer I can't do a basic install and have a go at it without reading the manual they lose a lot of points(I'm looking at you Oracle/IBM). It may sound silly, but when you've got to manage it and have varying degrees of talent/skill in staff, intuitive UI makes a bit difference. Performance metrics always are big point earners for me too.

Again, I deal with software and blackbox appliances rather than T & M stuff. Anyone that's more deeply involved with that professionally able to chime in? Maybe there are some marketing-droids on this forum who'll read it.  ;)
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 08:31:05 pm »
The way he pronounces R&S... Arde and Sharts...

:lol:

I found the voice quite annoying, like someone announcing the next big crappy Hollywood blockbuster.
The way he pronounced Rohde und Schwarz was actually quite good for an English speaker.

Could Dave get his mitts on one of those scopes? Would love to see how they stack up with the other big scope manufacturers, keeping in mind they now own Hameg.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 09:25:15 pm »
I just thought it was rather odd, for a professionally produced piece for a very expensive scope, that they uploaded a 240p video to YouTube.    :--

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2014, 09:33:29 pm »
The way he pronounces R&S... Arde and Sharts...

:lol:

I found the voice quite annoying, like someone announcing the next big crappy Hollywood blockbuster.
The way he pronounced Rohde und Schwarz was actually quite good for an English speaker.

Could Dave get his mitts on one of those scopes? Would love to see how they stack up with the other big scope manufacturers, keeping in mind they now own Hameg.

At work we've had the 20Gs/s (1044?) model on trial for a few weeks. I've not used it myself but I've watched others use it. The button lamps are very bright indeed. Really annoying but I think you can turn down the intensity and even alter the colours. It does run quite warm at the sides as well.

Also, if you press for simple functions like the trigger then you get hit with an onscreen system diagram that looks like something drawn in visio. Too much info for me as I'm just a casual user of big DSO/MSO scopes. The screen/trace quality does look really nice but the onscreen icons at the top are a bit distracting as they look like little advert icons on a web page  ;D

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2014, 09:41:40 pm »
The voice they use in this pisses the hell out of me. What the fuck were they thinking when they made this video?

They were thinking,

"How can we manipulate the voice-over on this video, so we can really piss the hell out of somebody?  Who will then post how annoyed they are, and the video will go viral... with a gazillion views, and a lot of discussion (buzz).  Even after it's been out for over a year."

Bingo.   :clap:

Offline jeroen74

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2014, 04:06:02 pm »
This voice over is slightly weirder :) 

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2014, 05:46:58 pm »

Right on the money, it's yet another cheap impersonation of the late Don LaFontaine.

Offline rjk5378

• Contributor
  • "Life is a science fair!" - Forrest Mims
    • Law Offices of Robert J. Keller, P.C.
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2014, 08:27:08 pm »
What ... were they thinking when they made this video?

There was a mix-up at the talent agency. R&S got this guy, and the announcer they were supposed to have was sent by mistake to do voice overs for coming attraction movie trailers.

- Bob, KY3R
- Bob, KY3R

Offline SArepairman

• Frequent Contributor
  • wannabee bit hunter
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2014, 12:39:34 am »
did anyone feel that the chinese win win factory video thing kind of reminded you of an ocean movie? (like oceans 11 12 13 etc)

they put exciting jazz type music on shit that is pissssss boring (like tinning wires all day) and suddenly it seems exciting, as if they are going to use those tin wires later to break into a bank vault)

some of those employees are probably barely functioning kept up by coffee life support n smoking opium in the bathroom

and those dudes keep inspecting those connectors quite a bit.

*dude that shit looks like its a million miles long, like some sort of space snake*

oh yea and seeking transcendence. lmfao. all i can think of is the new riddick movie now
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:47:26 am by SArepairman »

Offline scientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • User banned.
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2014, 03:57:36 am »
Factor-uh. Dev-a-lupment. Porducts. Devahlupment. Positave afforts. Succassfully dev-ah-luped.

It's like he's forcibly repressing his Chinese accent...

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2014, 04:05:02 am »
Factor-uh. Dev-a-lupment. Porducts. Devahlupment. Positave afforts. Succassfully dev-ah-luped.

I was wondering if it might actually be a voice synth instead of an actual human.  :o  >:D

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2014, 04:07:07 am »

I was wondering if it might actually be a voice synth instead of an actual human.  :o  >:D

yeah, i think so too
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf