Author Topic: Rigol's New DHO800 Oscilloscope unbox & teardown  (Read 331558 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol's New DHO800 Oscilloscope unbox & teardown
« Reply #1750 on: November 27, 2023, 04:52:38 pm »
What else needs to be done?

You also need to tell us what you typed in ADB (not just "it failed!")
The screenshot shows. Typed device search "./adb devices" typed in the terminal.

Ok, maybe you need a "connect" command...

Offline core

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1751 on: November 29, 2023, 04:36:09 pm »
This is my TP-Link WiFi adapter:

I'm very surprised it works - I couldn't find a slot to insert the CD in the Rigol!

Good to know  :-+. I have one, for use with the Siglent SDS1104X-E. I will try it with DHO1074, it was shipped and will be delivered in 2-3 days.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1752 on: November 29, 2023, 04:49:11 pm »
Good to know  :-+. I have one, for use with the Siglent SDS1104X-E. I will try it with DHO1074, it was shipped and will be delivered in 2-3 days.

I case you missed it: The best way to set up WiFi is to connect dongle+keyboard simultaneously (with a USB hub) and type Win+N to get to the Android setup.

The keyboard works to type in your WiFi password, too.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, HerbTarlek, core

Offline core

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1753 on: November 29, 2023, 05:10:54 pm »
Quote from: Martin72
And implement the suggestion of TimFox and supply the rigol scope with a linear power supply (and see what happens in terms of noise on the reference signal for the probe alignment).

Not much... ;)
The rigol supplied with a linear supply has not changed much regarding the ripple on "my" reference signal.
But at least I could look at the currents with a multimeter, the comparison with the usb powermeter will follow soon.

Voltage: 15.04V Current : 14mA (Scope in standby)
Voltage: 15.06V Current : 2.49A +/-60mA (Scope on)

Offset range seems to be much better than is specified in datasheet : +/-1V for (500uV/div - 65mV/div).

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1754 on: November 29, 2023, 08:30:42 pm »
Knowing Rigol's history, there will be tons of bugs that takes years to fix. People get all exited about new equipment and then are super happy with every firmware release that fixes problems/bugs that should not have been there in the first place. ... I'm sceptical.

When do you estimate Siglent will get around to fixing their FFT? Dave saw some serious problems with it in his video.

See video at 32:17: https://youtu.be/S8jrpCoZyx8?t=1937

(and look at how slow the Siglent FFT is by comparison...  :o  )
I believe the bigger question is when will Dave get to use DSO FFT correctly ?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1104x-e-in-depth-review/msg5195079/#msg5195079
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

Offline Menmo1

« Reply #1755 on: December 03, 2023, 06:55:54 pm »
Hello, Sir! Can you share of new firmware v00.01.02.00.00? It is no longer available on the rigol website.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1756 on: December 03, 2023, 11:28:22 pm »
It is no longer available on the rigol website.

Now think about why...
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: NE666

Offline enson72

• Contributor
« Reply #1757 on: December 04, 2023, 01:08:52 pm »
Today, firmware 01.01 was also removed from the site ))

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1758 on: December 04, 2023, 01:13:00 pm »
Today, firmware 01.01 was also removed from the site ))

Still available from Rigol Europe, both on the Support and Shop sites:
https://rigolshop.eu/dho924.html
https://www.rigol.eu/En/Index/listView/catid/28/tp/6/cat/7/xl/55

Offline enson72

• Contributor
« Reply #1759 on: December 04, 2023, 01:38:54 pm »
Yes, but they cleaned up here. https://www.rigolna.com/products/rigol-digital-oscilloscopes/dho800/  I was there this morning

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1760 on: December 04, 2023, 01:44:46 pm »
Yes, but they cleaned up here. https://www.rigolna.com/products/rigol-digital-oscilloscopes/dho800/  I was there this morning

I have not seen any DHO800 firmware on Rigol's North American site for a few weeks, if I recall correctly. And their selection of firmware is pretty thin in general . In Europe, they have two separate repositories: The Support section seems to have the latest firmware only, but a complete set for all products. The online shop's product descriptions still offer a history of older versions for download (at least for some products -- just checked it for the DHO1000 series).

I don't know why it is so hard for Rigol to maintain one consistent repository (or one per region, if they have to, but keeping them consistent).

The following users thanked this post: enson72

Offline rpro

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1761 on: December 04, 2023, 04:21:01 pm »
I don't know why it is so hard for Rigol to maintain one consistent repository (or one per region, if they have to, but keeping them consistent).
Looking at their scripting code, etc., it is not as if they are not capable of fixing this literally in minutes if they wanted to. This and other lack of elementary good release practices (like checking that firmware release notes are NOT encrypted for the MSO5000, etc.) is simply incomprehensible.

The following users thanked this post: mwb1100

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1762 on: December 04, 2023, 04:37:37 pm »
Well, we don't know how independent the regional offices in the US and in Europe are -- and how competent...

I am one week and two emails into getting my 100 MPts option code, which was supposed to be included with my DHO1074, from the European office.  >:(

Offline NE666

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1763 on: December 04, 2023, 06:52:59 pm »
I am one week and two emails into getting my 100 MPts option code, which was supposed to be included with my DHO1074, from the European office.  >:(

Same experience here.  I bought from Rigol EU but through their Amazon.co.uk. store.  Before purchase I asked them to confirm that the offer still included the memory option, given that it was now 40% cheaper than when originally listed.  They replied within 24 hours to say that it did and that either the unit would have the option license already installed, or the code would be in the box.  It wasn't.  I messaged again and they told me they'd send it to me within three working days.  Five working days later nothing.  My third message saw a license code sent to me within 1 hour of me sending it.

Not the best customer experience but my point being that someone does seem to be reading emails/messages and acting, albeit they need reminders.

Offline bobxyz

• Contributor
« Reply #1764 on: December 04, 2023, 11:41:25 pm »
FYI - the original firmware v0.01.00 zip package is pkg available from https://mall.rigol.com/item.html?item_id=1577
(the link is for the v0.01.00 pkg, but the text says v0.01.01)
Scroll to the bottom of the ad and click on the 6th tab over:
1945155-0

Or direct from:
https://mall.rigol.com/item-downfile.html?file=https%3A%2F%2Fsupportcn.rigol.com%2FPublic%2FUploads%2Fuploadfile%2Ffiles%2Fftp%2FFirmware%2FDHO800_DHO900%28Software%29UpdateV00.01.00.zip

The v0.01.01 pkg can be downloaded too if you edit the above link.  Trying v0.01.02 gets a dancing 404 robot.

Offline enson72

• Contributor
« Reply #1765 on: December 05, 2023, 03:23:49 am »
Tell me in which application you open the stored DHO signal for analysis. I couldn't open it in any way. Or share the link, please. How to do it.

Offline TXJD

« Reply #1766 on: December 05, 2023, 04:24:47 am »
I searched but didn't find what this means in the 01.01 release notes :

"Remove all time-related displays on the instrument"

Offline csuhi17

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1767 on: December 05, 2023, 05:59:45 am »

they talked about it here.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-dho800900-oscilloscope-bug-reports-firmware/msg5090827/#msg5090827

Fnirsi oscilloscope = waste&regret

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1768 on: December 05, 2023, 09:34:41 am »

It means they don't show the date/time anywhere now. The time was wrong because there's no battery-backed clock in side these.

It syncs time when you connect it to a network so they could have done it better but I guess that's the minority of users, so...  :-//

The following users thanked this post: TXJD

Offline bluesky-ca

• Contributor
« Reply #1769 on: December 18, 2023, 06:02:35 am »
I just posted in the Hacking thread some info on using NFS to store your wave forms, recordings or settings on a NAS box - in general using a USB drive is the simplest but if you have the scope connected using Wifi the USB will be taken and a hub would have to be used, or if the scope is connected full time using Ethernet - this method can reduce the write cycles on the built-in SD card - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-dho800900-scope/msg5228379/#msg5228379

Offline bingo8

« Reply #1770 on: December 20, 2023, 10:12:50 pm »
The Utility icon on my DHO804 had an indicator on it this morning. (The scope is hooked up to wifi.) When I went into the Utility menu, it indicated that a firmware update was available. I clicked on an update button, and it installed version 01.01.02. It rebooted, and I validated that the new version was installed. The build date, per Utility->About, is 2023/11/09 17:35:40.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1771 on: December 20, 2023, 10:24:05 pm »
The Utility icon on my DHO804 had an indicator on it this morning. (The scope is hooked up to wifi.) When I went into the Utility menu, it indicated that a firmware update was available. I clicked on an update button, and it installed version 01.01.02. It rebooted, and I validated that the new version was installed. The build date, per Utility->About, is 2023/11/09 17:35:40.

On the one hand I am pleased that the network update actually works (and that the "Utility/Update" menu entry is not just a misdirection for all who actually want to update via USB).

On the other hand, it makes me a bit nervous that oscilloscopes now also "phone home" to the manufacturer. That opens up new possibilities to detect or disable hacked licenses, if Rigol so desires. I think I will configure my firewall appropriately before connecting my new DHO1xx4 to the home network, and am happy to take the USB detour for firmware updates...

The following users thanked this post: Randy222

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1772 on: December 20, 2023, 11:00:37 pm »

Let's see...

Mine doesn't.  :-\

On the other hand, it makes me a bit nervous that oscilloscopes now also "phone home" to the manufacturer. That opens up new possibilities to detect or disable hacked licenses, if Rigol so desires.

People have been worrying about that for decades, Rigol hasn't done it yet...

(and won't, because it would be a sales disaster for them)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1773 on: December 20, 2023, 11:14:08 pm »
On the other hand, it makes me a bit nervous that oscilloscopes now also "phone home" to the manufacturer. That opens up new possibilities to detect or disable hacked licenses, if Rigol so desires.

People have been worrying about that for decades, Rigol hasn't done it yet...
(and won't, because it would be a sales disaster for them)

Maybe... As long as the scopes were not calling back home, Rigol had no way to detect "home-made" licenses. Now, with the central generation of all purchased licenses via rigol.com and with scopes reporting back to base, they can detect this.

Rigol would also have new ways of addressing users directly, "talking" to them via their scopes. They could e.g. set the invalid licenses back to "trial" status for a while and encourage users to buy a permanent license. Ah, brave new world...

Sure, we don't know whether Rigol will take this step. Compared to the MSO5000 hackability, DHO users are already kept on a much tighter leash. Maybe that's good enough for Rigol, maybe not. As former "this is expensive" differentiators like 12 bit ADC and 10" or larger screen get commoditized, they may look for new ways to charge extra money.

In any case, my scope will not be allowed to phone home, via suitable firewall settings. That should work for now -- until the next generation of scopes insists on an online connection to check the license status every fortnight...  ::)

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1774 on: December 20, 2023, 11:27:46 pm »
The Utility icon on my DHO804 had an indicator on it this morning.

Made me curious, just turned it on and...Bingo, same here.
Should I proceed..Ah, nevermind, I´ll take the risk...
More to come after this.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf