Author Topic: Rigol's New DHO800 Oscilloscope unbox & teardown  (Read 331509 times)

Offline EvgenyG

• Regular Contributor
    • Evgeny's Blog
Re: Rigol's New DHO800 Oscilloscope unbox & teardown
« Reply #2000 on: May 28, 2024, 06:59:57 am »
Are they comparing a $3400 scope to a $550 scope? Really?

The following users thanked this post: zrq, AceyTech

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2001 on: May 28, 2024, 09:01:22 am »

Yes, not a good advertising idea from Tektronix imo.
Actually a compliment to Rigol to compare these devices at all.
They are somehow elevating the much cheaper Rigol to their level.

The following users thanked this post: AceyTech

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2002 on: May 28, 2024, 09:36:46 am »
That is not even the problem.

They deliberately used 800/900 that is by definition different class of scope.
And then they compare stuff that is cringe details. They also compare sometimes with 800 and sometimes with 900 when it serves their point.

What I see is that cheap DHO800 has more and better triggers, more measurements, Rigol does not try to sell me cloud bullshit, it has serial decode/trigger standard, more memory.

And they carefully hid the fact Rigol is 12 bit scope. And Tektronix is not.

If they compared to DHO1000, all the important real differences (like sample rate, screen size, memory size etc) would be even less or on the side of Rigol.

Funny thing is they could have made real comparison showing, for instance, how decoding is better made and better to use. Or that this and that is really better.  Or that it has less bugs or whatever real advantage it might have. They didn't touch that DHO900 has real problem with insufficient sample rate when everything is on. That is a problem, not fact that you cannot buy cloud collaboration crap...
Tek has better user interface and does have better user experience but that is not even emphasized. They didn't even try to prove any real advantages it might have. They tried to out-feature the scope that was deliberately made to have "rich" datasheet. If there are problems with Rigol is not the number of features, but quality of implementation. But no mention of that.

Very weird document. Tek is desperate?
And that is even without including into equation Rigols competition Siglent in the same segment...
Where for the same money you can buy 1GHz scope for the price of the 350MHz 2 series...
Or if we stick with Rigol, maybe Rigol DHO4804, that is same price as 350MHz 2 series and is 800MHz scope.
It would be fun to see that comparison too, I wonder what imaginary arguments they would invent there?

The following users thanked this post: RAPo, AceyTech

Offline EvgenyG

• Regular Contributor
    • Evgeny's Blog
« Reply #2003 on: May 28, 2024, 02:15:14 pm »
I think the point of the comparison was to compare portable scopes. They specifically pointed out that the Rigol scopes can be powered by a USB power bank, however some of the statements are not true (For example regarding VESA mount). Some of the points marketed as advantages are questionable.
I agree it is a compliment to Rigol if Tek recognises them as a competitor. It would be correct to compare that particular model against the MicSigs or Rigol higher models, but not to the Rigol DHO800/900. And, as highlighted by 2N3055, DHO800/900 is 12bit and Tek's whitepaper did not even mention that.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2004 on: May 28, 2024, 02:48:34 pm »
I think the point of the comparison was to compare portable scopes. They specifically pointed out that the Rigol scopes can be powered by a USB power bank, however some of the statements are not true (For example regarding VESA mount). Some of the points marketed as advantages are questionable.
I agree it is a compliment to Rigol if Tek recognises them as a competitor. It would be correct to compare that particular model against the MicSigs or Rigol higher models, but not to the Rigol DHO800/900. And, as highlighted by 2N3055, DHO800/900 is 12bit and Tek's whitepaper did not even mention that.

When Tek released this scope, I questioned the target market for it..
It seems I was right, because it Tek appears completely confused how and what to compare it to..

They don't only compare it to portable scopes. There are also comparisons with Rigol MSO5000, Keysight 2000 X-series, R&S RTB2000, Rigol DHO4000, Rigol DHO1000, PicoScope 5000D, Iwatsu DS5600A, Siglent SDS2000XP, GWInstek MSO2000E...

Complete mishmash of models that don't even compare between and missing many scopes that are in same price range and much better than Series 2 Tek.

It seems to me they have no clue what market position for the scope is and what to do about it...

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2005 on: May 29, 2024, 06:50:08 pm »
Are they (=Tektronix) comparing a $3400 scope to a $550 scope? Really?
Yes, what a strange idea from Tektronix.  :-// :-//
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #2006 on: June 14, 2024, 01:03:48 pm »
hello,

1- does it support bode plots for power supplies? i mean good enough to use without bugs.
2- does it come with good power supply now or is it that Chinese crap?
3- is it good to measure noise and ripple for power supplies?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2007 on: June 14, 2024, 03:00:44 pm »
hello,

1- does it support bode plots for power supplies? i mean good enough to use without bugs.

1 - I don't know what that is, Bode plot needs signal generator.  :-// Do you mean FFT?
2 - Yes
3 - Yes

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #2008 on: June 15, 2024, 12:27:28 pm »
hello,

1 - I don't know what that is, Bode plot needs signal generator.  :-// Do you mean FFT?
2 - Yes
3 - Yes

bode plots are part of oscilloscopes these days but i want to make sure this one too. you use it to measure psu stability by connecting the scope to feedback pin and let it do its job until it shows you the plot where you analyze.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2009 on: June 15, 2024, 12:30:52 pm »
hello,

2 - Yes
3 - Yes

bode plots are part of oscilloscopes these days but i want to make sure this one too. you use it to measure psu stability by connecting the scope to feedback pin and let it do its job until it shows you the plot where you analyze.

Just look at the datasheet. DHO800 does not have Bode, does not have internal AWG and Rigol does not support use of external AWG for Bode like Siglent does.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #2010 on: June 15, 2024, 05:33:39 pm »
hello,

2 - Yes
3 - Yes

Just look at the datasheet. DHO800 does not have Bode, does not have internal AWG and Rigol does not support use of external AWG for Bode like Siglent does.

I read that if you hack it to DHO900 it will support bode plots, but i am not so sure.. this is why i asked here.

i have simple owon usb isolated scope but i want to get this one... i hoped it had bode plot to test my power supply designs tho... since other bode stuff are very expensive.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2011 on: June 15, 2024, 07:07:39 pm »
I read that if you hack it to DHO900 it will support bode plots, but i am not so sure.. this is why i asked here.

Only the DHO9x4S models support Bode plots. You need the built-in signal generator; as 2N3055 wrote, Rigol does not offer control of external signal generators. Hence, all DHO800 models as well as the DHO900 variants without the -S suffix can't do Bode plots.

Maybe there will be a hardware hack at some point which physically adds a signal generator module to the non-S scopes. One of the forum members here has been working on this, but I don't think this is mature yet and the design has not been shared.

The competing model from Siglent in this market segment, the SDS800X HD, can do automatic Bode plots if you have an external, stand-alone function generator from Siglent and let the scope control it via USB or Ethernet. (Or you can use Siglent's external function generator module which is offered as a scope accessory.)

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #2012 on: June 15, 2024, 08:08:51 pm »

Only the DHO9x4S models support Bode plots. You need the built-in signal generator; as 2N3055 wrote, Rigol does not offer control of external signal generators. Hence, all DHO800 models as well as the DHO900 variants without the -S suffix can't do Bode plots.

Maybe there will be a hardware hack at some point which physically adds a signal generator module to the non-S scopes. One of the forum members here has been working on this, but I don't think this is mature yet and the design has not been shared.

The competing model from Siglent in this market segment, the SDS800X HD, can do automatic Bode plots if you have an external, stand-alone function generator from Siglent and let the scope control it via USB or Ethernet. (Or you can use Siglent's external function generator module which is offered as a scope accessory.)

dho914s seems cheapest solution at 750$. Assume I got DHO804 scope for 400$, is there a bode plot device for 350$ or less?

meaning, is it gonna be worth it to get dho914s or not?

what other bode100 alternatives which are cheap and affordable? basic use though, no need for extra advanced stuff.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2013 on: June 15, 2024, 08:46:48 pm »

dho914s seems cheapest solution at 750$. Assume I got DHO804 scope for 400$, is there a bode plot device for 350$ or less?

what other bode100 alternatives which are cheap and affordable? basic use though, no need for extra advanced stuff.

Siglent SDS800xHD + Siglent SAG1021I..

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2014 on: June 15, 2024, 09:06:12 pm »

Hello,

An Analog Discovery 2 or better an Analog Discovery 3 would be a good addition and can also bode plot.

Best regards
egonotto

The following users thanked this post: Fungus, 2N3055

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: June 15, 2024, 09:10:06 pm by Fungus »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2016 on: June 15, 2024, 09:12:04 pm »
2 or 4ch models.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Out of office and unavailable for a few days.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2017 on: June 15, 2024, 09:35:57 pm »
SDS804X HD plus SDG1032X(2-Ch, hackable to 60Mhz) will cost about 698€ together (excl.VAT).
As long as rigol has not released any fixes and improvements via firmware update, there is no alternative to this combination.

With the arrival of the SDS800X HD range on the market, there is no longer any reason to choose a DHO800/900 unless the need to have an hdmi port (missing on the Siglent) outweighs all the other disadvantages.
I had both DHO800 and SDS800X HD, sorry to be so harsh, but as long as rigol doesn't make any effort to improve their scopes via software, that's a fact.

"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2018 on: June 15, 2024, 09:56:46 pm »
With the arrival of the SDS800X HD range on the market, there is no longer any reason to choose a DHO800/900 unless the need to have an hdmi port (missing on the Siglent) outweighs all the other disadvantages.

Rigol can run off battery power easily. It's also smaller and better UI (reportedly)

Have you put WiFi on a Siglent? Does it run an ftp server to grab screenshots easily?

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2019 on: June 15, 2024, 11:05:48 pm »

Rigol can run off battery power easily. It's also smaller and better UI (reportedly)

Have you put WiFi on a Siglent? Does it run an ftp server to grab screenshots easily?

FTP server? It has SMB server and client, so you can directly map it as network drive or map it as a network drive.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Fungus

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2020 on: June 15, 2024, 11:51:01 pm »
FTP server? It has SMB server and client, so you can directly map it as network drive or map it as a network drive.

I do that with FTP on my PC.

(what, you think I'm using command line ftp?)

PS: What about Wifi? Does it work with a $5 WiFi dongle?

Offline TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2021 on: June 16, 2024, 12:02:25 am »
One reason is compact portability which I'll use it for.
I’m surprised that Rigol didn’t go all out and fully embrace portability with some kind of battery power option available at release.  Or during this whole time since for that matter.  I’d prefer mobile power over the VESA feature.  The Siglent isn’t really that much bigger on a desk - anyone who used CRO scopes finds any modern scope diminutive by comparison.  If anything, I appreciate a bit of “substance” on the desk when manipulating controls - touch screens only make that more desirable imo.  If you’re going for “small”, go all the way.
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PICt

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2022 on: June 16, 2024, 12:32:31 am »
I still say that the average hobbyist won't find the Siglent superior in any meaningful way.

(eg. The person who wants to look at I2C buses inside a phone in the other thread)

Online zrq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2023 on: June 16, 2024, 01:48:55 pm »
One reason is compact portability which I'll use it for.
I’m surprised that Rigol didn’t go all out and fully embrace portability with some kind of battery power option available at release.  Or during this whole time since for that matter.  I’d prefer mobile power over the VESA feature.  The Siglent isn’t really that much bigger on a desk - anyone who used CRO scopes finds any modern scope diminutive by comparison.  If anything, I appreciate a bit of “substance” on the desk when manipulating controls - touch screens only make that more desirable imo.  If you’re going for “small”, go all the way.

A possibility is the power consumption of DHO800/900 is too much so that adding battery options will led to awakard price/operating time point. My measurements shows DHO912S takes around 32W, which I would say not really optimized for batteries. A 72Wh power bank can only give 2 hours of battery life.

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2024 on: June 16, 2024, 03:43:07 pm »

It depends on what you expect.
You can do bode plots with the cheapest scope if it's controllable via PC.
I do bode plots using a python script.
Do you need more or something different than that?

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, RAPo

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf