Author Topic: Rigol MSO5354 vs Siglent ?  (Read 1188 times)

Offline brochagdlTopic starter

Rigol MSO5354 vs Siglent ?
« on: November 01, 2023, 06:16:49 pm »
Hi Guys,

I'm Hector, from Mexico, I want to buy an oscilloscope with the following min requirements: BW: 350MHz, 4Ch and capable to decode digital protocols(I2C, SPI, RS232), fast aquisition(at least very close to Keysight, and with a fast GUI, not like Rigol Xd), below 4K. So I found these two models as good candidate(I've checked the specs online): Rigol MSO5354 and the Siglent SDS5034X, but I've worked before with the Rigol MSO5354 and its pretty buggy and slow as it can be compared a Keysight($$$$), so I'm wonder if you can recommend me some models within the budget and characteristics I'm looking for. I know there're several differences between these two models on the front end and ADC resolution that matters for vertical and horizontal resolution, but beyond that can you suggest which can be a better buy vs the other (Rigol vs. Siglent)?, also if you recommend some other brands and models that can fit my budget.

Thanks guys!
Hector

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol MSO5354 vs Siglent ?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 06:26:43 pm »
Not sure when you worked with the Rigol MSO5000? The early bugs have largely been ironed out by now, and it does not have a reputation for a particularly sluggish UI.

However, the MSO5000 does have a reputation for its relatively noisy front end. If you need to pick out small signals, and especially small signals riding on top of something else, the Rigol is not your scope of choice.

I will leave it to others to add more colour or suggest other alternatives -- although I think that you have probably identified the relevant candidates.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 07:15:48 pm »
With that budget I'd look for an R&S RTB2004 on the used market. Great screen, really nice user interface and protocol decoding works fantastic on these scopes. I have a whole bunch of scopes but the R&S RTM3004 (the bigger brother of the RTB2004) is the one I use primarily.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 07:23:04 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2023, 08:31:01 pm »
Hi Guys,

I'm Hector, from Mexico, I want to buy an oscilloscope with the following min requirements: BW: 350MHz, 4Ch and capable to decode digital protocols(I2C, SPI, RS232), fast aquisition(at least very close to Keysight, and with a fast GUI, not like Rigol Xd), below 4K. So I found these two models as good candidate(I've checked the specs online): Rigol MSO5354 and the Siglent SDS5034X, but I've worked before with the Rigol MSO5354 and its pretty buggy and slow as it can be compared a Keysight $ $ $ $, so I'm wonder if you can recommend me some models within the budget and characteristics I'm looking for. I know there're several differences between these two models on the front end and ADC resolution that matters for vertical and horizontal resolution, but beyond that can you suggest which can be a better buy vs the other (Rigol vs. Siglent)?, also if you recommend some other brands and models that can fit my budget.
Welcome to the forum.

KS was designed a good few years back with the view to replicate CRO snappiness of operation but today their mem depth (for a DSO) is very low.
The more modern designs offer better analytical capability and much more memory.
You need decide what is important for your needs.

SDS5000X uses 2x 5 GSa/s ADC's, each with 250 Mpts mem depth so that when all channels are active 2.5 GSa/s and 125 Mpts capability for each channel is available.
They also have individual vertical controls, something that is preferable to many.
Good luck with your hunt.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 10:08:49 pm »
I've worked before with the Rigol MSO5354 and its pretty buggy and slow as it can be compared a Keysight

The Keysight also only has to fill a barely significant memory.
When I introduced more modern scopes with the appropriate memory capacity a few years ago, my colleagues were complaining why they were so slow compared to our old scopes. :P
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 12:03:13 am »
I've worked before with the Rigol MSO5354 and its pretty buggy and slow as it can be compared a Keysight

The Keysight also only has to fill a barely significant memory.
When I introduced more modern scopes with the appropriate memory capacity a few years ago, my colleagues were complaining why they were so slow compared to our old scopes. :P
Yep, lightning fast performance vs deep analysis, pick one.
But we can speed performance some in most DSO's just by reducing mem depth.

Then in addition there is mem management options in some DSO's to best configure it for certain tasks.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 12:08:44 am »
Yes, yes, they quickly figured out that you can manually limit the maximum memory depth on the SDS2104X+, for example, and that's what they did, including unpleasant side effects.... ;)
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf