Author Topic: Rigol HDO1000 and HDO4000 12bit oscilloscopes launched in China  (Read 224188 times)

Performa01, hansibull and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline core

• Regular Contributor
Re: Rigol HDO1000 and HDO4000 12bit oscilloscopes launched in China
« Reply #1175 on: December 22, 2023, 07:23:26 pm »
Hello,

the noise values on my device change for no apparent reason.

Best regards
egonotto

Hmmm, I have no idea. I have pretty much the same values every time I check them.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1176 on: December 22, 2023, 09:43:45 pm »
Hello,

Best regards
egonotto

Unless there is a physical defect in your scope or connections, I suspect your issue is environmental. Is your scope well grounded?

Offline thunderbolt93

« Reply #1177 on: December 23, 2023, 08:02:17 pm »
Hey guys,

I just got my DHO1074, updated the firmware and unlocked all options.

I noticed that sometimes there are white triangles at the top of the waveform view.... anyone knows what that's about?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1178 on: December 23, 2023, 10:10:05 pm »
Events found via the Search function -- see section 17.1 of the manual.

The following users thanked this post: Martin72, thunderbolt93

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1179 on: December 24, 2023, 01:39:28 pm »
Hello,

Best regards
egonotto

Unless there is a physical defect in your scope or connections, I suspect your issue is environmental. Is your scope well grounded?

Hello,

it is a DHO1074 it is grounded
I can't say for sure whether there are environmental problems or problems with the ground. However, the values normally change if I change a setting on the scope that has nothing to do with the measured value. For example, switching on a different channel.

Best regards
egonotto

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1180 on: December 26, 2023, 04:33:34 am »
I have measured several configurations.
I've installed 02.04 -> calibration -> measurements. Same for 02.12. Now there are lower values for DC offset.

I've set 1mV/div, 1ms/div, using 1Mpts/10Mpts deep memory.
From 10Mpts up there are no difference in measurements and FFT plots.

The noise levels for measurements without filters are identical.

For 02.04, the FFT level at 20 Mhz BW is about 12dB lower than the level for full BW.
For 02.12, the difference is about 8dB.

It seems that the filter for 20 Mhz has been changed.

I'll be back with some interesting captures regarding HiRes.

Hello,

How to get firmware 00.02.04 from DHO1074?

Best regards
egonotto

Offline RobbiOne

• Contributor
« Reply #1181 on: December 26, 2023, 12:00:05 pm »
Hello,

Best regards
egonotto

v2.04 is the FW version that I found just out the box.

Offline db1jj

« Reply #1182 on: December 26, 2023, 03:37:32 pm »
I have this behaviour too on the Timebase encoder.

Offline core

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1183 on: December 27, 2023, 08:04:23 am »
I have measured several configurations.
I've installed 02.04 -> calibration -> measurements. Same for 02.12. Now there are lower values for DC offset.

I've set 1mV/div, 1ms/div, using 1Mpts/10Mpts deep memory.
From 10Mpts up there are no difference in measurements and FFT plots.

The noise levels for measurements without filters are identical.

For 02.04, the FFT level at 20 Mhz BW is about 12dB lower than the level for full BW.
For 02.12, the difference is about 8dB.

It seems that the filter for 20 Mhz has been changed.

I'll be back with some interesting captures regarding HiRes.

Hello,

Best regards
egonotto

Old firmware versions are still available here :
https://rigolshop.eu/dho1074.html
Go down and click on Software & Firmware tab.
You just copy the firmware on USB stick and update using the Menu / Storage / Upgrade, no matter the version. You can install and older version over a newer one.

Offline lfldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1184 on: December 27, 2023, 04:01:17 pm »
Hello
Has anyone tested the 10mhz clock reference clock input in HD100x and does this port actually work as it should?
There were some problems with old rigol models reference input - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/help-with-rigol-ds4014e-on-10mhz-external-ref/
Regards

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #1185 on: December 28, 2023, 09:43:15 pm »
Hello
Has anyone tested the 10mhz clock reference clock input in HD100x and does this port actually work as it should?
There were some problems with old rigol models reference input - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/help-with-rigol-ds4014e-on-10mhz-external-ref/
Regards

AUX out works - 60ns pulse of 1.5V into 50R
External trigger (+/- 5V max) works - though I had to change the trigger level before it started working
10MHz output works - spec is 1.5Vpp into 50R, saw 2.1Vpp
10MHz input works - spec is 130mVpp to 4.1V 10MHz +/- 10ppm. Input accepted +/-20ppm.

There is no on screen indication that EXT is working, just the setting to turn on and off EXT 10M in the "Other" menu.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 09:47:27 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline lfldp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1186 on: December 29, 2023, 07:29:06 pm »
Hello
Regards

AUX out works - 60ns pulse of 1.5V into 50R
External trigger (+/- 5V max) works - though I had to change the trigger level before it started working
10MHz output works - spec is 1.5Vpp into 50R, saw 2.1Vpp
10MHz input works - spec is 130mVpp to 4.1V 10MHz +/- 10ppm. Input accepted +/-20ppm.

There is no on screen indication that EXT is working, just the setting to turn on and off EXT 10M in the "Other" menu.
Ok thanks for info :)

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1187 on: January 02, 2024, 05:50:22 am »
Hello,

does anyone know if you can save the data in the memory that you got with Record?
My attempts have failed so far.

Best regards
egonotto

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1188 on: January 02, 2024, 06:59:57 pm »
Based on what I see on the screen and also in the user manual, I'm afraid it is only possible to store "regular" waveform captures, but not the multiple frames which are captured in "Record" mode.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1189 on: January 02, 2024, 08:12:59 pm »
When I first saw the dual "FlexKnob" encoders on the various Rigol DHO models, I thought they were a brilliant idea. (Not Rigol's idea, I believe, but first introduced by KeysightTektronix?) With my old scope, far too much encoder-knob-clicking was required to iterate through different knob assignments, e.g, when controlling the cursors. Having two knobs, and having their function dynamically assigned by what you touch in the dialogs, seemed like a great UI feature.

Having used the knobs for a while on my new DHO1074, I am less excited now:
  • Often, their step size is really odd. When setting e.g. the vertical scale and offset for FFT plots, you end up with awkward numbers on the axis. More often than not, it is not even possible to navigate to an even number, because the steps always fall onto odd values.
  • At other times, the step size is set so small that I would have to turn the knob forever. There is no dynamic acceleration, it seems. So I find myself calling up the on-screen keyboard for parameter entry much more often than I'd like.
  • Some encoder functions are actually harder to reach now than in the old single-encoder approach. In manual cursor mode, how do I switch to moving both cursors together? Is there really no other option than to open the cursor dialog?!
  • I have run into situations multiple times where the knobs get confused as to what they are controlling: Yellow 1/2 indicators show in two parameter fields, but the knobs actually change some other values. Or a knob controls a vertical scale value, but has its horizontal white arrows illuminated.
What are others' experiences with the FlexKnobs? Am I just "holding it wrong", or do those knobs need some love and care from the Rigol software team?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 09:42:48 pm by ebastler »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, DaneLaw, Martin72, the Chris

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #1190 on: January 04, 2024, 01:49:30 am »
  • Some encoder functions are actually harder to reach now than in the old single-encoder approach. In manual cursor mode, how do I switch to moving both cursors together? Is there really no other option than to open the cursor dialog?!

I don't have a problem with this personally. If their buttons support "push and hold" you could suggest that, but the driver may not support it.

If you want to move them both without going into the menu you could:
- Physically turn both the knobs at the same time
- Drag both cursors using two fingers on the touchscreen
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1191 on: January 04, 2024, 07:21:46 am »

I don't have a problem with this personally. If their buttons support "push and hold" you could suggest that, but the driver may not support it.

If you want to move them both without going into the menu you could:
- Physically turn both the knobs at the same time
- Drag both cursors using two fingers on the touchscreen

Yes, push & hold came to mind as a way to implement this, and some other UI features as well. But it has not really caught on with scopes, it seems. And I doubt that Rigol would want to add more functionality and complexity to the knob-driven part of the UI now, with the focus on touch-screen operation. Also, I think it was TurboTom who mentioned that the front panel is driven by a dedicated processor whose firmware might not be updatable anyway?

When I want to move both cursors in sync, I typically want them to move by exactly the same amount: I have already adjusted their distance, either to a known time or voltage difference or based on a feature of the on-screen signal, and then want to compare some other features of the trace against that reference. So I need a mode where the cursors move exactly in unison, not just a shortcut that is faster than moving them individually. That mode exists, of course, but I find it inconvenient that I have to turn my attention away from the trace, cursors and knobs and call up the cursor dialog.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #1192 on: January 04, 2024, 03:52:22 pm »
When I first saw the dual "FlexKnob" encoders on the various Rigol DHO models, I thought they were a brilliant idea. (Not Rigol's idea, I believe, but first introduced by KeysightTektronix?) With my old scope, far too much encoder-knob-clicking was required to iterate through different knob assignments, e.g, when controlling the cursors. Having two knobs, and having their function dynamically assigned by what you touch in the dialogs, seemed like a great UI feature.

Tektronix used dual rotary controls on their 11k series of mainframe oscilloscopes starting in 1986, but the later TDS series of oscilloscopes introduced around 1990 only had one.

It is not as apparent, but even earlier than that Tektronix designed hysteresis into their digital rotary controls so that when you released them or used their pushbutton function, minor unintended rotation would be ignored.  They were very aware of human factors engineering.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1193 on: January 05, 2024, 10:56:47 am »
Tektronix used dual rotary controls on their 11k series of mainframe oscilloscopes starting in 1986, but the later TDS series of oscilloscopes introduced around 1990 only had one.

Thanks -- I had not realized that Tektronix experimented with this concept so early. I was thinking of the current 2/3/4/5/6 series, which all use two dedicated multi-function knobs and were probably what "inspired" Rigol.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1194 on: January 08, 2024, 07:10:47 pm »
This may be old news, but it was a pleasant little surpise to me: The DHO1000 touch interface supports some "swipe" gestures too. Swipe an active channel (or math) indicator downward to disable the channel, or swipe a measurement item to the right to remove it.

Not a huge thing, but it avoids unnecessarily opening a menu and tapping a second time. I could not find it mentioned in the manual. Edit: Oh, it is documented, I just did not get the wording. "You can slide down the channel label to disable the channel." Not in the Touch Gestures section of the manual, but in the Vertical System chapter.

On a loosely related note: If someone has found a shortcut to switch between Auto/Normal/Single triggering without opening the trigger menu, please let me know!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 08:49:19 pm by ebastler »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, thm_w, the Chris

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1195 on: January 09, 2024, 03:35:32 pm »
Hello,

I am very dissatisfied with the record function of DHO1074. Firstly because I can't save the data, but also because there are often gaps. I wanted to record 100 events that last 20 us and occur every 5 ms. Again and again the distance between two consecutive events is 10 ms and a event is missing in between.

Best regards
egonotto

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, Martin72

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1196 on: January 09, 2024, 04:51:54 pm »
Indeed, the Record function is disappointing, unless I am overlooking something. Even with the smallest number of data points per sweep (1 kpts) and a fast timebase (say 2 µs/div, so 20 µs for the full sweep), the average time step between stored records is 5.8 ms according to the scope's timestamps.

And even those timestamps are probably wrong: Acquiring a series of 1000 frames takes 15 seconds on a stopwatch, while the progress bar and frame counter move forward in a linear manner. But the scope claims that the last record has a timestamp of 5.8 seconds?!

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055, Martin72

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1197 on: January 09, 2024, 06:15:37 pm »
Hello,

it's a particular shame because Rigol could do much better with little effort. You just don't need to update the screen during the recording. And enabling saving is not that complicated either. I believe that you can at least save the screen data with SCPI commands.

Best regards
egonotto

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1198 on: January 09, 2024, 06:35:51 pm »
What are your setups like? I would try this on the DHO804.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1199 on: January 09, 2024, 07:08:19 pm »
For my quick test it was just channel 1 enabled, 2 µs/div, 1 kpts memory. My test signal had repeating bursts of pulses (approx. 300 kHz, lasting 500 µs, followed by 500 µs silence), so about 1 ms total period.

I first triggered this "properly", looking for a low pulse lasting much longer than the 300 kHz period to always start at the beginning of a burst. Then figured that the trigger might slow down the recording and tried it again using simple edge triggering, but this did not affect the frame capture rate.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Martin72

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf