Author Topic: New scope? Protek 8204 200MHz 4ch 2GSa $1K; AWG, MSO, decode software options  (Read 2321 times)

Offline TimInCanadaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Came across this on Ebay:

Looks promising, especially if the options can be hacked.

But, it appears to be something of a mystery scope.  The manufacturer's website, if I've got this right, is gsi-protek.com, and the specs and picture they have are very different:

Maybe Dave can have a look in his dumpster to see if one has fallen in yet...  ;)

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
Came across this on Ebay:

Looks promising, especially if the options can be hacked.

But, it appears to be something of a mystery scope.  The manufacturer's website, if I've got this right, is gsi-protek.com, and the specs and picture they have are very different:

Maybe Dave can have a look in his dumpster to see if one has fallen in yet...  ;)

This upper image Protek 8204 is OLD Siglent SDS2000 series scope or copy (Not SDS2000X series)
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Yeah, that is what I was going to say: it was either a pre-production unit or a rebadge.

I searched around and found this datasheet that confirms the second photograph.

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Yeah, that is what I was going to say: it was either a pre-production unit or a rebadge.
Rebadged SDS2000 and running early V1 firmware as the memory depth is listed as only 28 Mpts not 70 as was made available with V2 firmware.
The later SDS2000X models had a few HW changes, namely the front panel layout for better ergonomics, new smaller MSO probe set and more memory to allow for a standard 140 Mpts across all 2000X models.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:29:23 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
Rebadged SDS2000 and running early V1 firmware as the memory depth is listed as only 28 Mpts not 70 as was made available with V2 firmware.
The later SDS2000X models had a few HW changes, namely the front panel layout for better ergonomics, new smaller MSO probe set and more memory to allow for a standard 140 Mpts across all 2000X models.

Would be fun to find out whether this Protek rebadge of the trusty old SDS2000 could be updated with the original Siglent firmware...  >:D

Online tautech

• Super Contributor

Would be fun to find out whether this Protek rebadge of the trusty old SDS2000 could be updated with the original Siglent firmware...  >:D
Of course it can, with the right .cfg file.  >:D

You should have it.  ;)

Hint
Nov 15
sds2k_V100R02B01D01P27_fvA1511171117M151117 plus cfg file.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor

Of course it can, with the right .cfg file.  >:D

You should have it.  ;)

Hint
Nov 15
sds2k_V100R02B01D01P27_fvA1511171117M151117 plus cfg file.

... which should open the upgrade path to the latest SDS2k FW and turn this scope into something really nice and useful - whereas the old V1 FW certainly isn't something to write home about.

Yes, I have the firmware version required to make the switch, but no Protek scope to play with. I still have the original SDS2304 though, only finally put away in a cabinet about half a year ago, as with all the testing of the more recent units I didn't turn it on anymore anyway ;)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
I still have the original SDS2304 though, only finally put away in a cabinet about half a year ago, as with all the testing of the more recent units I didn't turn it on anymore anyway ;)
I sold my 2304 a year or two back soon after a 2304X arrived.  ;)

The early dealer versions didn't have MSO capability and as I needed a fully representative demo unit my then best DSO had to go to be replaced with another.  :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
That old version (?) of the Protek 8204 is listed at $2600 here:
https://cc-globaltech.com/product/gsi-protek-8204-digital-mixed-oscilloscope-bandwidth-200-mhz/

Is it worth that much? Probably not. So far, no bidder for the one on ebay either; but that may of course still change.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
https://cc-globaltech.com/product/gsi-protek-8204-digital-mixed-oscilloscope-bandwidth-200-mhz/

Is it worth that much? Probably not. So far, no bidder for the one on ebay either; but that may of course still change.
Had to look back to 2014 pricing:
SDS2204 2Gsa/s 70 Mpts (V2 FW) 200 MHz, zero options $ 1998

Edit
Latest pricing on revised replacement model SDS2204X $ 1532 with 140 Mpts memory !
And there's a promo running for the options.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 09:46:57 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor

https://www.batronix.com/versand/oszilloskope/Siglent-SDS2204X.html

That's the deal in the EU - for the current X model, which has a number of improvements over its predecessor that would be equivalent to the Protek.

And a pretty sweet deal for the Options bundle on top of that.

And the moral of the story is - never get carried away by some offering without further investigations. Having it discussed here was certainly a good idea and might prevent someone from paying way too much for an outdated rebadged instrument.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf