Author Topic: Sencore SC61  (Read 6300 times)

Offline Six_ShooterTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Sencore SC61
« on: November 21, 2013, 06:06:32 am »
I have an opportunity to buy a Sencore SC61 for $200 (CDN).

From what I've been able to find so far this seems like a decent price.

I like the secondary display it has for the many uses it has, voltage measurements, frequency counter/display, etc.

Overall it sounds decent, but I'd like to hear from anyone that has experience with these, and thoughts.

Also semi-local to me is a Tektronix 2220 O-scope for $100. This also seems like a good deal, but I haven't found a whole lot of details in the few minutes I've looked for info. It seems to have less features than the Sencore, but it is a Tektronix...

Any input is appreciated.

FWIW, I have a Velleman PC based scope I want to replace/augment with an analog 'scope. I use mid to high mid range DSOs at school, Tektronix DSO3000 series, Rigols, and a couple others, depending on the actual lab I'm in. I mention this to allow for comparison and background in O'scope use.

• Regular Contributor
Re: Sencore SC61
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 04:25:21 pm »
So far the only issue I've found with these is that the CRT sometimes goes dim, and usually is restored by using a CRT restorer, will have to look into what that is...

Any feedback is appreciated.

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 06:14:02 pm »
This is very very old scope especially for $200. They also have problems with capacitors and rotary switches.  I used to work with one. Get SC3100 Sencore, its newer model.

It probably needs calibration as well, you have to use Sencore probes...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 12:12:13 am »
What is it about them that you have to use Sencore probes?

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 10:24:24 pm »
They have separate pin used for multimeter.

Offline Radio Tech

• Frequent Contributor
  • KC4UMO Buddy
    • Hobby Forum
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 12:38:07 am »
I own one of these and love it. But has had it;s share of issues. Bought mine on ebay and when arrived it did not  work. Opened it up and found a connector had fallen off during shipment.  Worked fine when I reinstalled it.  A year later started having probe problems.  Only the Sencore probes are useful for the LCD to work.  After spending $$$ for probes it again worked great.  Now 4 years later it has developed another issue.  The trace bounces around. You can tap the case and it will quit. When you remove the case it works fine.... :palm:

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 01:18:44 am »
So it seems that my first impression is correct and that, while it's a cool 'scope for it's time, it's not worth the asking price.

I'll likely grab a $100 Tek or something like that, I do want an analog 'scope.

But I think I'll take the money I would have spent on this Sencore and get a Rigol DS1052E or something similar, for a little more.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf