Author Topic: Rigol DS1054z failed after 1 day.  (Read 6543 times)

Offline Aleksandar B.Topic starter

• Contributor
Rigol DS1054z failed after 1 day.
« on: September 17, 2015, 09:11:14 am »
Yesterday I got a new rigol ds1054z at work. I tried out the scope and the basic functions were working. I connected the probes to the square wave generator to compensate the probe, and took a picture of waveform to a USB stick. At this point the scope was still working. This morning I came in to the office, and wanted to show the scope to my mentor and it's not working. It seems completely dead, even the fan on the side isn't working. The fuse beneath the power jack is in tact.

Does anyone have any ideas what to do without taking the scope apart?

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DS1054z failed after 1 day.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 09:20:16 am »
Phone the people who sold it to you, ask for a new one?

Life's too short and all that.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 09:27:50 am »
They come with a warranty...

Offline fivefish

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 09:30:20 am »
Check the AC plug... On mine you think it's making contact since it fits snugly, but you need to press real hard in and make sure it's really making electrical contact. I think the plastic molding on the AC plug is a tad too big to fit in the recessed space.

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 09:42:13 am »
Use another power cord, the RIGOL power cords get a bad QA, there was also mention that the ground connection was swapped with an live connection !!

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 09:52:22 am »
I tried different cables, different wall plugs, etc. Guess I will have to send it back... Was waiting 5 months for it to arive and I gues I will wait atleast that much for the issue to be resolved..

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 11:12:56 am »
Thats is the time you start asking yourself "why did not picked a agilent or Tektronix". Ahhaah rigol are great pieces of equipments, you was just unlucky

Offline andybarrett1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 12:34:45 pm »
Agilent or Tektronix can fail too...

For likely for anything at all having just been though a postal service.

:-- :-- :--

Offline rvalente

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 03:00:10 pm »
Shure they can, I dont question Rigol quality we all know they are trust brands

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 03:11:56 pm »
Everything can fail, as long as the manufacturer admits this happening and replaces or fixes the equipment it is ok by me.. I just wanted to avoid sending it back because it has to go through at least 5 companies to reach rigol again, and 5 again to come back.

Offline plazma

• Frequent Contributor
    • Homepage
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 03:49:41 pm »
Where are you located? I contacted Rigol Europe directly to get working probes for warranty.

Offline nbritton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 06:21:56 pm »
Everything can fail, as long as the manufacturer admits this happening and replaces or fixes the equipment it is ok by me.. I just wanted to avoid sending it back because it has to go through at least 5 companies to reach rigol again, and 5 again to come back.

Return it and buy another one through a different reseller, tequipment.net has them on sale for $375 with the EEVblog discount, they claim to have 378 units in stock.

Offline TorqueRanger

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 06:52:51 pm »
Yesterday I got a new rigol ds1054z at work. I tried out the scope and the basic functions were working. I connected the probes to the square wave generator to compensate the probe, and took a picture of waveform to a USB stick. At this point the scope was still working. This morning I came in to the office, and wanted to show the scope to my mentor and it's not working. It seems completely dead, even the fan on the side isn't working. The fuse beneath the power jack is in tact.

It sounds like to me someone was messing with your scope and fried it.. I have repaired alot of electronics and almost everytime there is some kind indication of the problem before death unless something like cord or loose wire or something simply.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 07:39:14 pm »

Return it and buy another one through a different reseller, tequipment.net has them on sale for $375 with the EEVblog discount, they claim to have 378 units in stock.

It's not that simple because it's not my personal scope. I got it at work, and since I work in a state company we can't buy equipment directly but need to purchase stuff through other companies etc.. Some total BS but nothing I can do about it.

It sounds like to me someone was messing with your scope and fried it.. I have repaired alot of electronics and almost everytime there is some kind indication of the problem before death unless something like cord or loose wire or something simply.

At the moment, there are only two of us that share an office and I am absolutely sure my mentor didn't touch the scope, and even if he did he wouldn't keep it a secret. Also, I am the only one in the whole research group that works with electronics so I'm sure my other colleagues didn't use it. That just leaves the cleaning lady, but my whole desk was the same way I left it yesterday, so I doubt she had anything to do with it.

To me, it looks like some issue with the power connector or the power button since the power supply is not working. If someone had damaged it by misusing it I would expect the PS to work, or if the PS had issues the fuse would probably break.

I guess the thing that ticks me off the most is that I don't know what's wrong with it and can't check it by opening it. And it will probably be replaced without me ever knowing what the fault was...

Offline eas

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tech Obsessed
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 10:23:27 pm »
Did you actually try swapping in a new fuse, or at least checking resistance on the existing one?

I've thought a fuse was fine at first glance and then come back around after checking other things, and realized I'd just wasted a bunch of time because the fuse that looked good was actually open.

Offline GlowingGhoul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 12:24:10 am »
Use another power cord, the RIGOL power cords get a bad QA, there was also mention that the ground connection was swapped with an live connection !!

Really? Will the indignities inflicted by Rigol's "culture of quality" ever cease??!  :palm:

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 04:57:57 am »

Really? Will the indignities inflicted by Rigol's "culture of quality" ever cease??!  :palm:

I checked my two US IEC cables supplied from Rigol and a Tektronix and they are identically wired (if you plugged the cable end to end the conductors will crossover). The earth was where it was meant to be. So as all countries are different if in doubt check first.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 05:08:22 am »
Did you actually try swapping in a new fuse, or at least checking resistance on the existing one?

I've thought a fuse was fine at first glance and then come back around after checking other things, and realized I'd just wasted a bunch of time because the fuse that looked good was actually open.

Yep, always measure if it "looks" good, when it looks "bad" you can e sure it is bad  :)

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 06:37:37 am »

Yep, always measure if it "looks" good, when it looks "bad" you can e sure it is bad  :)

Tested it with a multimeter. It's 100% fine.

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 03:25:50 pm »
Have you tried to measure the current consumption of the scope?

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 09:30:02 am »
Have you tried to measure the current consumption of the scope?

Nope, didn't think of that. I will check it out tomorrow if it wasn't sent back already.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf