Author Topic: basic frequency counter or full spectrum analyzer?  (Read 6359 times)

Offline warnbergTopic starter

• Contributor
basic frequency counter or full spectrum analyzer?
« on: January 15, 2016, 08:18:04 pm »
First, I will be using this piece of equipment mainly for HAM radio repair.. currently building transverters..

So, with my annual bonus coming next month I'm thinking of adding a piece of equipment to my bench.  I'm sure I could get away with just a basic frequency counter for some of what I'm doing (aligning transverters) but would I be wise to spend the extra cash and pick up say a Rigol DSA815 and should I spend the extra for the DSA815-TG model?

thoughts?  options?

Right now I have a 432 Mhz transverter on the bench that really needs to be fine tuned on the alignment, I need something to read the signal at an inductor so that I can adjust the frequency to 404 Mhz..

Thanks for all the responses.

David

Offline awallin

• Frequent Contributor
Re: basic frequency counter or full spectrum analyzer?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 08:25:02 pm »

also consider Siglent SSA3021X - it's quite new but might be available already. The TG is not that expensive and is useful for characterizing amplifiers, filters, and so on - get it!

I'd say you need 'eyes' first, i.e. oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer so you can see the signal, and precision devices later such as 6-digit bench DMM, frequency counter, RF power meter, etc.

just keep in mind the spectrum analyzer frequency counter is not a precision instrument, with an external 10 MHz reference you might get 6 or so digits while any decent frequency counter is 9+ digits.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 09:05:52 pm »
If you do buy the Rigol DSA815 get the tracking gen option - it is crazy not too!
VE7FM

Offline warnbergTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 11:24:17 pm »
So skip the frequency counter for now and concentrate on a decent Spectrum Analyzer?

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 11:35:06 pm »
I'd certainly recommend the spectrum analyzer over a frequency counter. But there is another option if you don't mind something older. How about something like a used HP8920B or HP8921A service monitor. You can align receivers, transmitters, duplexers, and it has a spectrum analyzer. You do need the proper options which will give you full coverage 1 through 1000 MHz - signal gen, wattmeter(to 100 watts or so), spectrum analyzer. It can generate/demod AM/FM. It generates test tones, can measure SINAD etc.  It would let you feed a signal into the transverter and see the output on the spectrum analyzer, all in one box. It also has a frequency counter in it. Sure it is older but for the most part it is a ham radio operators dream - I love mine!
VE7FM

Offline Theboel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 01:06:57 am »
if You dont mind to do some mechanical work for case and power supply I think this 20USD frequency counter but You have money to spend for monitor analyzer 8920B or IFR1200 its will help You alot

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 08:39:50 am »
SA plus synthesised frequency source, optionally plus power meter, or optionally a wideband noise source.

At 400MHz you could use an SDR dongle, unless you need absolute amplitude calibration - but the power meter often helps there.

Define exactly what you want to achieve, think about all the different types of equipment out there, then sit down and use your imagination. ?

Look at how measurements were done before modern equipment was available, or are still done by hams or at the limit of conventional technology.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:42:57 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 12:57:02 pm »
Have a look at the Rohde & Schwarz CMU200. It's a Communications Tester that goes up to 2.7GHz and which comes with a decent spectrum analyzer, one or two (depending on the installed options) RF generator(s), wide-band and narrow-band power meter, frequency counter (11 digits), and an optional multi-tone audio analyzer.

Alternatively there's also the R&S CRTU, which is pretty similar to the CMU200 aside from that it doesn't support the audio analyzer.

Both devices were sold for cell phone testing but they can be used as generic test instruments as well. For what you want to do the CMU200 and CRTU seem to be ideal.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 01:03:37 pm by Wuerstchenhund »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf