Author Topic: Can TEK P6137 probe be adapted  (Read 2215 times)

Offline todorpTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Can TEK P6137 probe be adapted
« on: March 08, 2019, 03:23:15 pm »
Hello, I have come into possession of two Tektronix P6137 400Mhz passive probes. I was wondering whether these can be converted/adopted to work with scopes such as an old Tek 465B or a newer Rigol...

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
Re: Can TEK P6137 probe be adapted
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 03:30:30 pm »
Consulting TekWiki: http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/P6137

We can see that the compensation range of the probes is 12-18pF.

A Tek 465B has an input capacitance of 20pF, so they are on the edge and might not compensate quite right.

You don't say what model Rigol, but a DS1054Z has 15pF input, so would be OK.

In either case, don't try to mess with the probes.

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 05:30:57 am »
Except for the issue with compensation range identified by edavid, they will work fine at 100MHz or even higher.

At 400MHz however, the fixed high frequency compensation might not be right for a 400MHz or higher oscilloscope as it was designed for the 400MHz models of the 2465 series.  A slower oscilloscope will not show this problem.

Offline todorpTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 09:38:07 am »
Thank a lot people. In the beginning my primary concern was if I could at all attach attach these probes to the scope! I did not even think of the "compensation" problem :-). The scopes I own are all 100Mhz so I will be "underusing" the probes capacities... I will try low frequency compensation this we: hope it works.
Thanks again for the fast answers. Have a nice weekend.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 10:44:41 pm »
The 'pogo pins' for the TekProbe interface around the BNC will not cause any problems on the most instruments, even if they cannot read them. They might catch on the screws of 4-hole flange mounted BNC jacks, if they are of a unusual low height (the jacks) or have unusually large heads (the screws). But most probes in my lab are Tek with TekProbe interface and I have not had a problem with that yet.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 03:27:54 am »
The 'pogo pins' for the TekProbe interface around the BNC will not cause any problems on the most instruments, even if they cannot read them. They might catch on the screws of 4-hole flange mounted BNC jacks, if they are of a unusual low height (the jacks) or have unusually large heads (the screws). But most probes in my lab are Tek with TekProbe interface and I have not had a problem with that yet.
The P6137 is not a TekProbe probe.  It just has the 10X ID pin.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 04:25:48 am »
The P6137 is not a TekProbe probe.  It just has the 10X ID pin.
Yes, you are correct, but also 'Po-tay-to po-tah-to'. Because the presence of that pin(s) is what causes some people to perceice a Tek probe as 'this is not a BNC as I know it' and have a question like the OP.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 09:31:58 am »
I remember from years back, Tek probes with X10 indicator pin used to cause all sorts of havoc when plugged into HP1740A scopes, which had front fixing nuts on their BNCs (very positive retention!). It is worth checking that nothing is going to get scratched up.
Best Regards, Chris

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 08:36:10 pm »
I remember from years back, Tek probes with X10 indicator pin used to cause all sorts of havoc when plugged into HP1740A scopes, which had front fixing nuts on their BNCs (very positive retention!). It is worth checking that nothing is going to get scratched up.

Tektronix had a bigger problem later.  Some of their early readout probes had a very stiff pogo pin which would destroy the fragile Tekprobe interface on later oscilloscopes.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf