Author Topic: Owon company for test gear  (Read 3688 times)

Offline cleanworkbenchTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Owon company for test gear
« on: February 02, 2024, 04:21:52 pm »
Whats the deal with Chinese company Owon test equipment,  has anyone had any experience of it ?.

Offline Anthocyanina

• Frequent Contributor
  • The Sara
Re: Owon company for test gear
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2024, 04:57:52 pm »
I have the OWON VDS 1022I USB scope. That's my entire experience with owon. It seems like they are among the lowest end of the actually usable test instruments, maybe a bit better than hantek. My 1022I is quite usable and i have no complains about it other than how the UI looks on the software. I recently won a multicomp (rebadged owon) power supply in a contest, but it has yet to arrive. I watched some reviews on it and people seem to like it, except for one person whose supply had an intermittent display failure.

I would say owon is ok for the price, better than hantek, at least in the USB oscilloscope space, but not as good as rigol or siglent.

Online Aldo22

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 05:14:08 pm »
I think it depends on the product category.
Owon handheld scopemeters are quite popular, but for benchtop scopes Hantek offers more for the money imo.
There are of course more products like psu, multimeters, spectrum analyzers etc.

The general rule is that you get what you pay for.
Owon is rather in the lower price range.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 05:22:12 pm »
I've seen people running short courses which tour around using Owon's benchtop scopes for the students. These things were getting a lot of bumping around in transit between locations, and seemed to be holding up well.

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 05:56:57 pm »
I would agree that Owon is a step above the likes of Hantek and FNIRSI on the quality scale in that ultra-budget tier of real bench tools (versus the cheap little handheld "toys"). I'd rate them pretty close to Uni-T in that regard. Like Uni-T they can be hit or miss across their different product lines.

Owon puts out some decent (not spectacular) DMMs and portable scopes. I have the HDS2202S portable scope and their 1022i isolated USB scope and like them both.

The following users thanked this post: naiclub

Offline cleanworkbenchTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 08:06:31 am »
Is Owon  UL approved ?

Online csuhi17

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2024, 08:43:31 am »
I think that Owon and Uni are almost at the same level in terms of quality.
At least based on the ones that came into my hands.

Of course, it also depends on who needs what.

Owon multimeters are good, I personally prefer the Bluetooth versions.
A B35T+, B41T+, CM2100B, HDS272s, HDS2202, VDS1022, SMP6103
The multimeters are average, better than the other low-end ones, the Uni-t can be on the same level.
With the CM2100B, many people brought up the bug that the input does not have as much protection as the others. It survived for me when I wanted to measure ~230V and it happened to be in continuity testing or resistance measuring function.

I think the HDS series is good, but I can't decide whether the fact that, for example, there are already 6 different hardware versions from the HDS272s, with their own firmware. This is good or bad.
There are minor bugs, but they are not as big as Fnirsi.

I did not use the VDS1022 much, it was inconvenient to use for smaller measurements.
But it looks better than a Hantek

I have no problems with the PSU apart from the noise. It fits what I bought.
However, based on a few of my tests, it responds slowly.
with a 100 Ohm load.
Switching off from 5V to 200mV 315ms.
Also, there is another phenomenon that when I measure the output with a scope and make a short circuit, the 5V turns into a couple of 70V spikes. for a few ns.
Fnirsi oscilloscope = waste&regret

The following users thanked this post: naiclub

Offline fnaumann

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2024, 07:02:47 pm »
A few years ago I finally wanted to buy an oscilloscope and used Google and YouTube to find suitable (and affordable) equipment for hobby users like me. Ultimately I ended up with the OWON SDS1102 (2CH, 100 MHz, 1GSa/s), which I am very satisfied with. I can't really understand the rejection of OWON products. Well, the OWON products can't compete with Rohde & Schwarz, Tektronix (but with Rigol and Siglent), but in my opinion they have a very good price-performance ratio.And the operation is intuitive. After I reached the limits with just two channels and the 100 MHz analog bandwidth, I bought an XDS3204AE (4CH, 200 MHz, 1GSa/s) based on my good experiences with OWON. 14 Bit ADC is good, but 1GSa/s too little (2GSa/s would have been more adequate). And that, despite the negative sarcastic review on the EEVblog YouTube video

What is actually only very rudimentary is the FFT function. I can completely understand the devastating criticism of the FFT function in the video. It was precisely for this reason that I bought the Siglent SSA 3021X Plus spectrum analyzer.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2024, 07:26:13 pm by fnaumann »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf