Author Topic: Rigol DHO800/900 pre-sales begin  (Read 49261 times)

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Rigol DHO800/900 pre-sales begin
« Reply #175 on: September 16, 2023, 03:59:35 pm »
It looks like these scopes are "more open" out of the box.

An API is not really necessary, this forum is full of reverse engineering examples that transform closed parts to more open parts.
I start in a modest way: signal analysis with machine learning. AI can come later (maybe upgraded models, but think out of the box: scope is connected to internet, sends the heavy lifting to
a  powerful cloud and GPU server ...).

How many hobbyists can afford a LeCroy? Think in options: with all these smart script kiddies coming from the university into the workplace. They've been trained to automate everything ...

I don't understand.
Fact that you have access to open Android is same as already dozens of scopes with open access to linux.
Unless manufacturer gives you scope API you are left out to dry, and reverse engineer scope internals..
AI analysis ? On a smartphone platform ?
As for scopes that do give API and all needed to make custom apps, filters and such is LeCroy on it's high end platforms..

This forum is chock full of proof that dozens of people said same thing as you and went nowhere..
It is industrial scale effort that needs both lot of knowledge and time.
If you are the one that will succeed it would make me very happy for you and thousand of other people that will benefit from it.

I feel like you are arguing with me thinking I am against it or that I think it should not be done.
Quite the opposite. I'm rooting for you.

It is just that it is not as easy as you think it is..

And why are you suggesting I advocate for people to buy LeCroy instead of Rigol.
You asked do I know any scopes that have API provided by manufacturer. I do, LeCroy.
That is all..

Or since you mentioned it, it can be a sign how "easy" is what you expect to do, if LeCroy can charge so much for it...

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: September 16, 2023, 04:03:50 pm »
Fact that you have access to open Android is same as already dozens of scopes with open access to linux.

An android APK isn't the same as a bunch of compiled binaries.

Having an unobfuscated APK is almost the same as having the source code these days - see the screenshots in that link I gave you earlier for examples.

As someone who did reverse engineer industrial project for a machine control (from full source code in C) I bid you good luck.

Only going through all the documentation (that was provided and well made)for APIs for all controller cards and peripherals took few months. Without it I would refuse the job.. Even with full source code for application.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2023, 04:54:46 pm »
This forum is chock full of proof that dozens of people said same thing as you and went nowhere..

It also has people that HAVE reverse engineered oscilloscopes from zero and written new firmware for them.

eg. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fnirsi-1013d-100mhz-tablet-oscilloscope/msg3938203/#msg3938203

We'll see what happens, but these Rigols will need orders of magnitude less effort than other devices.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #178 on: September 16, 2023, 05:32:34 pm »

It also has people that HAVE reverse engineered oscilloscopes from zero and written new firmware for them.

eg. https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fnirsi-1013d-100mhz-tablet-oscilloscope/msg3938203/#msg3938203

We'll see what happens, but these Rigols will need orders of magnitude less effort than other devices.

Like I said, my best wishes for sucess!

Offline RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #179 on: September 16, 2023, 06:11:00 pm »

Yes, it can go both ways.

It is industrial scale effort that needs both lot of knowledge and time.
Cheaper scopes will mean more people are able to get one.
More people with appropriate schooling will mean more workpower and intellectual power, so more and more people can stand on the shoulders of people before them, thus easing the way for others.

If you are the one that will succeed it would make me very happy for you and thousand of other people that will benefit from it.
I don't think I qualify or even have the energy for it. But I see young people at work that have a second nature to automate everything and get breakthrough in dossiers that have stood still for a long time.

I feel like you are arguing with me, thinking I am against it or that I think it should not be done.
Quite the opposite. I'm rooting for you.
No, I don't think that, the only point where we have different estimations on how hard such a job would be.
You have experience, I do not. But I see energy flowing when young people put their heart into something.
I've studied mathematics and the adagium of the oldest mathematical society in the Netherlands was: Een onvermoeide arbeid komt alles te boven (untiring labor conquers all).
That spirit is engrained in my life.
It is just that it is not as easy as you think it is..
See above
And why are you suggesting I advocate for people to buy LeCroy instead of Rigol.
I don't.
You asked do I know any scopes that have API provided by manufacturer. I do, LeCroy.

True point. I had an implicit thought about cheap scopes, because there is a lot of talk about he price of these scopes.

That is all..
Idem ;-).
Or since you mentioned it, it can be a sign how "easy" is what you expect to do, if LeCroy can charge so much for it...
I like your thinking.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline Njk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2023, 07:20:16 pm »
So far, nobody did anything, except playing Doom and claiming the victory.. And scopes have been linux and with accessible OS for years now..
Just to be fair. Some years ago, here was Konnor user (AFAIR) who did develop entire framework for user's applications for DS1000z. That models are linux-free. Anyway the framework never gained traction here.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: September 16, 2023, 08:09:00 pm »
So far, nobody did anything, except playing Doom and claiming the victory.. And scopes have been linux and with accessible OS for years now..
Just to be fair. Some years ago, here was Konnor user (AFAIR) who did develop entire framework for user's applications for DS1000z. That models are linux-free. Anyway the framework never gained traction here.

Yes Konnor did decompile the code, mapped modules etc.
But this is something he did by decompiling specific FW version.  In this case you can insert some of your code into memory and change pointers to point there...  He even created sort of framework code to insert code into it.
But this is kind of work that is similar to patching applications when you are circumventing licensing and hacking.
Not something that is easy or common. Also he decompiled entry points but all that doesn't explain what is scope doing and how is data being datapumped from FPGA etc etc...

This resulted with nobody ever used it. Because it is not easy and needs specialized knowledge..

Offline Nikki Smith

• Contributor
    • Raspberry Pi, ARM SBCs & electronics hackery
« Reply #182 on: September 18, 2023, 02:20:27 pm »
I ordered the 804 from China on 3rd September, with estimated delivery on the 17th. I'll report back what, if anything, gets delivered!

Just arrived safe and sound via UPS, and at least it boots!  :-+

I've bought a £9 wall mount for it, although it is so slim that it doesn't take up much desk space anyway.

It didn't have any plastic smell when I opened the box, which some users have reported.

It came with the Lenovo 65W USB-C mains adaptor that takes a C5/Clover Leaf plug, a US mains cable and a UK-US plug adaptor.

It cost me £316 incl shipping from AliExpress so far, but I'm waiting for the customs invoice from UPS. Don't know what value the seller declared it as.
Update 26/Oct: never did get a customs invoice, so that makes it even more of a bargain  :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 03:51:28 pm by Nikki Smith »

The following users thanked this post: skench, 2N3055, Mortymore, ch_scr

Offline JebCrag

« Reply #183 on: September 19, 2023, 12:55:03 pm »
But that is not even the point. You are confusing segmented mode and UltraAck mode that are not the same..

Thanks everyone for the points on this mode - I had assumed that ultraacquire was Rigol's name for segmented memory.  Now I see it clearly spelled out in the manual (p. 200) that it has the record functions I'm looking for.

Now I just need to be patient until my local vendor gets stock.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2023, 01:44:10 pm »
Now I see it clearly spelled out in the manual (p. 200) that it has the record functions I'm looking for.

Are you sure?

Make sure to check what can you DO with record mode. On other scopes that support segmented mode, you can do math, measure, decode etc. from segmented captures. It is not clear yet what can you do on DHO800/900 with recorded waveforms except looking at them.  For instance DS1000Z  had recording mode that did not allow you to do anything except looking at it screen by screen..

It seems that Rigol uses name UltraAcquire for some type of segmented mode. In that mode many of features are not available at capture time. When captured, it has Navigate segments window that allows you to look at captured stuff through some fancy display modes by (EDIT) time, frame number and there is some kind of search that nobody seems to talk about.
Actually read a manual again and in UltraAcquire mode only navigation available is Navigate by Frame Segment.  (EDIT)
On the other hand you have Waveform Recording mode that only allows you to playback captures (trigger events) one by one or animated.
There is no clarification that you can do search or decode or anything in this mode...

Everybody keeps being euphoric about all kinds of stuff but nobody seems to talk about if this scope actually can do any proper analysis with this two modes...

If I were you I would wait until someone gets one and proves it actually can do a job for you.  Maybe it does, but documentation is not helpful at all and nobody actually tested it yet..
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 01:48:42 pm by 2N3055 »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2023, 11:29:39 am »

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline daveyk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2023, 03:41:17 pm »
Is there a 300MHz version?

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2023, 04:34:48 pm »
DHO800 up to 100MHz
DHO900 up to 250MHz

https://www.rigol.eu/products/oscillosopes.html

(oscillosopes  :-DD)

Offline Nikki Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2023, 04:18:06 pm »
Got my new scope fitted on a cheap monitor/TV wall mounted swing arm  :) It came with 4x small standoffs so there is still good airflow at the back.

I'm thinking about some 3D-printed clips/holders for the probes. Perhaps 2 probes on the left+right sides of the scope? Can you recommend a design that works well?
Not sure what the best way to attach the 3D prints to the case of the scope.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, thm_w, JDW, Martin72, ima hogg, NE666

Offline Uksa007

• Contributor
« Reply #189 on: September 23, 2023, 07:03:04 am »
I ordered the 804 from China on 3rd September, with estimated delivery on the 17th. I'll report back what, if anything, gets delivered!
It cost me £316 incl shipping from AliExpress

Hi,

How did you find the Aliexpress seller, did you use Jiutian Instrument Store?
What is the story with warranty, send it back to china?

The Australia tax it is bit hard to swallow, AU $194.95 or 23% difference
Only real difference seems to be local warranty(assuming they don't go broke) there doesn't seem to be any manufacturer office here so would be back to china in that case I guess.

DHO804
Aliexpress inc AU tax and shipping  US $419.34 = AU $650.95
Local inc tax and shipping AU $845.90
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 08:11:16 am by Uksa007 »

Offline Nikki Smith

• Contributor
« Reply #190 on: September 23, 2023, 08:11:30 am »

Yes, no problems with that AliExpress seller. Fast to reply to messages. I was nervous that it took a week to mark it as shipped, but then once shipped UPS was quick.

No idea about the warranty? I could try Rigol UK/EU since it is their product, and it shouldn't matter where in the world you buy it from. To be honest I'll be hacking the scope (firmware and hardware) so my warranty will be void anyway!

The Australia tax it is bit hard to swallow, AU $194.95 or 23% difference:

DHO804

Similar to the UK  :(

Offline Uksa007

• Contributor
« Reply #191 on: September 23, 2023, 08:33:48 am »

No idea about the warranty? I could try Rigol UK/EU since it is their product, and it shouldn't matter where in the world you buy it from. To be honest I'll be hacking the scope (firmware and hardware) so my warranty will be void anyway!

Rigol are notoriously difficult with warranty, there is no Rigol international warranty, if you don't buy it from the local distributor it would be unlikely they will want to help.

There is no Rigol office in the UK, just a distributor same as here. https://int.rigol.com/contact/info
In fact the there are no UK distributors listed so who knows if they are legit or not. https://int.rigol.com/contact/where-to-buy

I guess that's the extra $194, roll the dice and if you have issues hope the Aliexpress seller will help, they have been around for 8 Years, so somewhat positive I guess.

For completeness This is what the Aliexpress Seller said when asked about the warranty which seems reasonable.

"3 years warranty, If it has something wrong during warranty, you can send it back to us. The buyer pays for the returning shipping cost and we will pay for the sending shipping cost"

« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 08:43:24 am by Uksa007 »

The following users thanked this post: Nikki Smith

Online .RC.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #192 on: September 23, 2023, 08:57:21 am »

Hi,

The Australia tax it is bit hard to swallow, AU $194.95 or 23% difference
Only real difference seems to be local warranty(assuming they don't go broke) there doesn't seem to be any manufacturer office here so would be back to china in that case I guess.

DHO804

Aliexpress to me is quoting AU$630 delivered + GST for a DHO804

Which is the exact same price a SDS1104X-E from the local dealer who must have old stock they are trying to sell as it should be more then that.

If I did not get a 1104X-E six months ago I would maybe be getting a DHO804, although it not yet proven longevity wise, the only other worry is would it arrive, but I have only had one item not arrive from Ali Express from out of maybe 40 purchases and got a refund since it was obvious they never sent it anyway by the dodgy tracking number. But to me AU$700 is a fair chunk of money to risk direct from China.  But I did buy a $400 solar pump direct from Ali Express and it turned up fine.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 09:24:27 am by .RC. »

Offline Uksa007

• Contributor
« Reply #193 on: September 23, 2023, 09:33:21 am »

I would be getting a DHO804, the only worry is would it arrive, but I have only had one item not arrive from Ali Express from out of maybe 40 purchases and got a refund since it was obvious they never sent it anyway by the dodgy tracking number. But to me AU$700 is a fair chunk of money to risk direct from China. 

I wouldn't be too worried about it arriving, aliexpress, paypal and credit card all have protections to cover that, so you would have three layers of protection.

The risk for me is if it arrives damaged from shipping: warranty won't apply, doubtful aliexpress, paypal and credit card won't want to know about it.
You would be left to fight it out with the seller, is there insurance on the shipping doubtful?

If it fails in warranty period, have to hope seller is still around, and the cost to ship to back to china would be high.

I guess that is the dice you roll if you want to save 23%?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 09:51:36 am by Uksa007 »

Offline turmoni

« Reply #194 on: September 23, 2023, 10:22:46 pm »
There is no Rigol office in the UK, just a distributor same as here. https://int.rigol.com/contact/info
In fact the there are no UK distributors listed so who knows if they are legit or not. https://int.rigol.com/contact/where-to-buy

European distributors are listed on https://www.rigol.eu/En/Index/listView/catid/82.html , and Telonic is listed there for the UK.

Offline Njk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #195 on: September 24, 2023, 12:43:35 pm »
Rigol are notoriously difficult with warranty, there is no Rigol international warranty, if you don't buy it from the local distributor it would be unlikely they will want to help.
In my case, the warranty claim was accepted and the unit was fixed despite it was purchased not from local dealer. But here is a local Rigol rep so no international shipping was necessary.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 12:45:17 pm by Njk »

Offline dmulligan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #196 on: September 24, 2023, 06:35:48 pm »
I wonder when we will start to hear feedback from actual users as well as other reviewers.  It sounds like shipping will start around October 16th in Canada, it's unclear if those will be the first units going out or the current end of the queue. 
When will vendors start shipping DSO800/900 within North America and Europe? 

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #197 on: September 24, 2023, 09:12:23 pm »
Hmmm, seems it could last longer than expected...
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #198 on: September 26, 2023, 05:51:19 pm »

Maybe not after all. ;)
I had received an answer from Batronix today that they still assume the next week, that they have not heard anything to the contrary to date.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #199 on: September 26, 2023, 07:13:34 pm »

Maybe not after all. ;)
I had received an answer from Batronix today that they still assume the next week, that they have not heard anything to the contrary to date.

Batterfly told me they'd be receiving units on September 22 but I haven't heard anything yet.  :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf