Author Topic: Rigol DHO800/900 Oscilloscope Bug Reports + Firmware  (Read 264813 times)

Offline rifkum

• Contributor
New Bug?? Cursors stop working
« Reply #525 on: February 25, 2024, 09:57:27 pm »
New Bug?? Cursors stop working

Scope: DHO804
FW: 00.01.01 (not modded)
This is the fw that was delivered with the scope purchased about 1 month ago.

Hey Group,
I believe I have found a bug where the cursors stop working and the only way to get them back is to reboot the scope.

Conditions:
Connect scope probe from CH2 (not CH1) to 1KHz sq wave cal point on right hand of scope.
Press AUTO to get proper display of sq wave.
Turn on Cursors
Press AUTO again
Cursor panel now only shows "*****" for all cursor parameters and even if you move probe to CH1 you can not get cursors back ON.
Also Cursor control knobs do not light up (they do both blink for a short moment when pressing "Cursor")
The cursor data panel does disappear and come back on display but all values still show "*****"

The only way I have found to get the cursors working again is to reboot the scope.

Possibly this is fixed in the latest factory firmware which I have not tried yet.
Just wanted to post here first so please forgive me if the standard is to always check for updated firmware before posting here.

If you start with the probe in CH1 Cursors work fine even after hitting AUTO but if you move the probe to CH2 and press AUTO you can not get the cursors to work even after moving the probe back to CH1.

Once the cursor data panel shows "*****" you have to reboot to get them to work again.

Anyone else see this behavior??
It only seems to happen when a signal is on CH 2,3,4
I can't get it to fail if I ONLY use CH1

cheers
Dwight

« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 10:29:13 pm by rifkum »

Offline jsobell

• Contributor
Re: Rigol DHO800/900 Oscilloscope Bug Reports + Firmware
« Reply #526 on: February 25, 2024, 11:13:53 pm »
924S firmware 02.00.02 I did not manage to cause the bug.
I tried all the settings combinations that I could think of and it didn't work.

If you set a measurement to channel 2, does it measure anything?
For example Vpp or frequency?

I'm also on the latest firmware 0.01.02.
Channel 2 seems to work fine, but when a Maths of A+B is run on CH1 and CH2 it shows a voltage of 745V P-P, so it really does believe the input on CH2 is huge, but the same effect happens for CH3 and CH4, so it looks software related.

I've done a recalibrate, tried to reset everything I can find, and still it occurs.

Offline jsobell

• Contributor
« Reply #527 on: February 25, 2024, 11:26:26 pm »
Ah-ha!  As a last resort I re-re-installed the latest GEL file (which I already did once to try and resolve my non-operating fan), and the problem seems to have cleared.
I don't think it was an issue with the original installation, but I think the re-running of 'Upgrade' has done a low-level reset of all of the configuration data.
What does concern me is that something I did when messing around (with the FFT settings?) may have caused the problem to occur in the first place, but I'll just have to keep an eye open for it in future.

Offline shapirus

• Super Contributor
Re: New Bug?? Cursors stop working
« Reply #528 on: February 25, 2024, 11:50:19 pm »
Once the cursor data panel shows "*****" you have to reboot to get them to work again.
Lol yes I can reproduce it. However you don't need to reboot to get them back: tap the cursors box in the measurement results side panel, then Setting in the menu that pops up, then change source: NONE to Ch2, and they should start working again.

After this is done, I can no longer reproduce the original behavior with the auto button.

I have the latest firmware installed.

The following users thanked this post: AndyBig, rifkum

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #529 on: February 26, 2024, 12:18:11 am »
Cursor panel now only shows "*****" for all cursor parameters and even if you move probe to CH1 you can not get cursors back ON.

You have to tell cursors what they're supposed to be measuring otherwise they show "*****"

By messing around with AUTO so much the cursors aren't sure what to display.

Lol yes I can reproduce it. However you don't need to reboot to get them back: tap the cursors box in the measurement results side panel, then Setting in the menu that pops up, then change source: NONE to Ch2, and they should start working again.

Yep.

The following users thanked this post: rifkum

Offline AndyBig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #530 on: February 26, 2024, 12:57:39 am »
After this is done, I can no longer reproduce the original behavior with the auto button.
I have the latest firmware installed.
Switch the cursors to Ch1, turn off Ch1 and press Auto again. The cursors will again move to the source NONE :)

The following users thanked this post: rifkum

Offline norbert.kiszka

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #531 on: February 26, 2024, 10:15:08 pm »
Somebody asked about different resolutions and different monitors, so I can confirm it works well with Eizo S2100 which is 1600x1200 (4:3). Via HDMI-DVI adapter.

Offline pakakezu

• Contributor
« Reply #532 on: March 01, 2024, 10:38:17 am »
I built Nikki Smith-s logic probe from the hacking thread, but the decoder in the scope is disappointing.
With the scope in stop mode, scrolling trough the horizontal the decode appears and disappears. Viewing long messages is almost impossible, because the character size is too big and scrolling is useless.
(D0 D1 UART decode 115200)

Offline AceyTech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #533 on: March 02, 2024, 05:13:57 am »
I built Nikki Smith-s logic probe from the hacking thread, but the decoder in the scope is disappointing.
With the scope in stop mode, scrolling trough the horizontal the decode appears and disappears. Viewing long messages is almost impossible, because the character size is too big and scrolling is useless.

I don't know how sympathetic Rigol will be about your "Bug Report" when you are using homebrew interface on one of their scopes.

But, if you go back through the bug report pages here, you'll see that Rigol has issues to work out with several decoders on this model.  Sorry if that doesn't help your plea.
Did you try the same test using Analog(instead of digital) channels?

BTW:  After thinking a bit about your video, I wonder if the "data flashing" is just the system having to redraw the decoded data, not actually dis/re-appearing...  Since, it doesn't actually lose the data.  Just a thought.

Offline pakakezu

• Contributor
« Reply #534 on: March 02, 2024, 06:59:37 am »
Since the scope is in stop mode I'm 100% sure the same issue can be reproduced with the original probe, and having the advantages of voltage treshold for logic levels. Note this is a kitted out DHO924S and not a hacked one. Only the cable is a simple lvds driver and not comparator based.
Problem is the decode dissapears in some offsets and comes back only if I moove along the trace.
Comparing the price point and functionality of a salaee and the logic cable of the rigol I'dont see how usefull this is for serial busses.
Also I don't care fore their sympathy, they were unable to answer the simple question of how to generate arb files for this scope, until someone tried all combinations of other devices and found one that works.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 07:02:19 am by pakakezu »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #535 on: March 08, 2024, 02:16:56 pm »
i reported 2 LA bugs in my video... edited/update: this is not a bug...

I don't know how sympathetic Rigol will be about your "Bug Report" when you are using homebrew interface on one of their scopes.
i hope they listen since i highly believe the same bugs will also occur with the original LA probe since there is no way of knowing for the DSO to detect whether its seeing a knock off or original probe, its just not much people own original probe so we dont have a high chance of seeing reports from them, fwiw...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 03:45:54 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

The following users thanked this post: AceyTech

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #536 on: March 08, 2024, 10:06:42 pm »
i reported 2 LA bugs in my video...

i hope they listen since i highly believe the same bugs will also occur with the original LA probe since there is no way of knowing for the DSO to detect whether its seeing a knock off or original probe, its just not much people own original probe so we dont have a high chance of seeing reports from them, fwiw...

I was unable to reproduce all your issues with the LA using a DHO924S with PLA2216 active probe.

The issue with the LA threshold appearing in menus/windows other than the LA dialog box is a problem with SPI decode too, and so it confuses itself. (Worse is that the digital threshold defaults to 0V.)

I could switch between digital and analogue channels for the trigger with no problem. I also had no problem adjusting the thresholds in the LA screen, and noted there's about 150mV of hysteresis on the LA channels.

It did show up another issue though: the build in AFG has a -150mV offset on my unit.

Each and every time I turn on this scope, I despise it more, almost all down to firmware bugs.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 10:20:12 pm by Howardlong »

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #537 on: March 08, 2024, 10:17:54 pm »

Same thing occurs with a PLA2216.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #538 on: March 08, 2024, 10:38:49 pm »
I was unable to reproduce all your issues with the LA using a DHO924S with PLA2216 active probe.
thanks for letting me know. are you using latest FW 00.01.02.00.02? https://supportint.rigol.com/SUPPORTS/software-firmware-download.html

I could switch between digital and analogue channels for the trigger with no problem. I also had n problem adjusting the thresholds in the LA screen.
as i mentioned in the video. i was able to do this in older FW 1.14 for DHO900 from hubertyoung's FW image. maybe some files specific to DHO900 are missing in my DHO800 that LA GUI is looking for it. thanks you gave me some idea, maybe this is not a bug.

It did show up another issue though: the build in AFG has a -150mV offset on my unit.
Each and every time I turn on this scope, I despise it more, almost all down to firmware bugs.
i built AFG replica as well and my latest prototype indicates about -15mV offset. i guess its due to resistors pair mismatch on the AD9744 DAC or differential opamp AD8009 (marked as HKJ) after it. maybe tuning them with parallel resistor may correct it in HW if this issue is too disturbing, but i understand you as a legit user will not expect this kind of fix. not sure if there is another file in DHO900 specific for this correction, but my workaround is i set the offset in GUI 15mV in the other direction to compensate, unfortunately its not saved when i turn the dso off. but for bode plot, set the dso analog input to AC coupled should eliminate this problem. iirc both CH input used as bode plot will automatically switched to AC coupled when bode plot is started. ymmv.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 11:36:07 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #539 on: March 09, 2024, 02:45:13 pm »
i changed back to older FW 1.14 for DHO924S, i demonstrated logic channel triggering is working in the video, just upgrading to FW1.2.2, its not working anymore... fwiw... edited/update: this is not a bug..

« Last Edit: March 14, 2024, 03:46:41 pm by Mechatrommer »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #540 on: March 09, 2024, 09:20:09 pm »
i changed back to older FW 1.14 for DHO924S, i demonstrated logic channel triggering is working in the video, just upgrading to FW1.2.2, its not working anymore... fwiw...

Here's a screenshot of my firmware etc where I could change the LA trigger channels successfully.

I thought this was 1.02.00.02, I updated it on 29 January according to my records, and the build time on the scope says 3 January. Is this the same as your "FW1.2.2"?

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #541 on: March 10, 2024, 01:49:11 am »
I thought this was 1.02.00.02, I updated it on 29 January according to my records, and the build time on the scope says 3 January. Is this the same as your "FW1.2.2"?
maybe my hardware 12 has something to do with it, thanks for your info. (yes i currently use the same FW as yours.)

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #542 on: March 16, 2024, 08:37:32 am »
DHO814:
Random triggers on single and timeout:
It does it too, when in the ns scale, so there are no spikes to find.
It happens after 1 to 5.7 seconds (4s average). Noise reject does not help, and changing the level has semingly no effect.
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #543 on: March 16, 2024, 09:09:59 am »
I take it that the desired trigger condition still occurs frequently -- so the scope does not "run out of patience" in Auto-trigger mode and trigger for that reason?

(Does anything change if you switch triggering to Normal?)

Offline csuhi17

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #544 on: March 16, 2024, 09:40:43 am »
I take it that the desired trigger condition still occurs frequently -- so the scope does not "run out of patience" in Auto-trigger mode and trigger for that reason?

(Does anything change if you switch triggering to Normal?)

I also tested 924S and yes.
It is present for both Normal and Single triggers.
It looks like if the Slope is set to "Falling, Either", it triggers randomly without a signal.

It looks good on the "Rising" setting.

I was wrong.
If the trigger is set to a negative value, the "Rising" setting triggers randomly. "Falling" looks good.

If the trigger is set to a positive value, the "Falling" setting triggers randomly. "Rising" looks good.

"Either" is wrong in both cases. |O
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 09:45:27 am by csuhi17 »
Fnirsi oscilloscope = waste&regret

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #545 on: March 16, 2024, 11:25:45 am »
If the trigger is set to a negative value, the "Rising" setting triggers randomly. "Falling" looks good.

The "trigger" has several values. Which one are you talking about?
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline csuhi17

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #546 on: March 16, 2024, 12:38:20 pm »

The "trigger" has several values. Which one are you talking about?

Sorry, I meant the trigger level. voltage
Fnirsi oscilloscope = waste&regret

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #547 on: March 16, 2024, 05:28:56 pm »
Trying the recording function:

I have CAN frames, that i would like to look at. Tried using the record feature, that should be perfect for this. Set up the interval to the frame interval. Doesnt work: the smallest interval i had achieved was somewhere around 5ms, and fluctuating.

Can anyone achieve better? If not, i then call this another bug, but a major one, as this makes the feature practically useless.  :palm:

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #548 on: March 16, 2024, 06:33:40 pm »
About 5 ms time intervals were the best I could achieve with my DHO1074 as well. That included a test with a trivial edge trigger, looking at fast square-wave bursts.

Notably, the time stamps were even lying about those 5 ms increments: The last of 1000 records was captured at approx. 5000 ms according to its time stamp. But looking at a stop watch, it had taken about 14 seconds to capture those 1000 records! (And the progress bar had moved at a constant rate throughout.)

One of the reasons I no longer have the DHO1074...

Offline Randy222

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #549 on: March 16, 2024, 08:46:58 pm »
Trying the recording function:

I have CAN frames, that i would like to look at. Tried using the record feature, that should be perfect for this. Set up the interval to the frame interval. Doesnt work: the smallest interval i had achieved was somewhere around 5ms, and fluctuating.

Can anyone achieve better? If not, i then call this another bug, but a major one, as this makes the feature practically useless.  :palm:
Is this running the latest FW 00.01.02.00.02 ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf