Author Topic: Rigol DHO800/900 Oscilloscope Bug Reports + Firmware  (Read 273039 times)

Offline JDW

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol DHO800/900 Oscilloscope Bug Reports + Firmware
« Reply #200 on: November 29, 2023, 10:09:18 pm »
If anybody desperately wants 1.02 firmware I can send a copy.

My previous words on this topic weren't clear so I will rephrase...

Who is the source of v.1.02?  (Who created it, I mean.)
If one contends it is Rigol, is that confirmed or merely an assumption? 

v.1.02 is not posted even on Rigol's Chinese language website. Unless the source for v.1.02 is known, it could have originated from a hacker or seedy individual, even if one contends it seemingly works fine.  I'm mainly trying to figure out the original source of 1.02.

Not that it matters so much now that the only way to get it is through the handful of people in this thread who actually have it.  Normally, I wouldn't care and just sit back and wait for the manufacturer to release a normal update, but it seems Rigol isn't very good when it comes to firmware updates.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #201 on: November 29, 2023, 10:19:00 pm »
As long as the file is not available on one of the official websites, I would not download and install anything elsewhere.
I had this 1.02 installed and got massive offset problems that couldn't be calibrated away.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: JDW

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #202 on: November 29, 2023, 10:38:35 pm »
If anybody desperately wants 1.02 firmware I can send a copy.

My previous words on this topic weren't clear so I will rephrase...

Who is the source of v.1.02?  (Who created it, I mean.)
If one contends it is Rigol, is that confirmed or merely an assumption? 

Mine came via the link to rigol.com

https://download.rigol.com/cn/Firmware/Digital%20Oscilloscope/DHO800%26DHO900/DHO800_DHO900(Software)Updatev00.01.02.00.00.zip

I have no idea what you're trying to prove here...

Offline bobxyz

• Contributor
« Reply #203 on: November 30, 2023, 02:42:20 am »
DHO814 Fresh out of the box:  firmware 0.01.00.00.19, unhacked
Measuring 5volt 125MHz canned oscillator with 350MHz LeCroy passive probe, short spring ground

First screenshot is: Norm trigger mode, falling edge, with threshold set just below max (it doesn't misbehave with threshold near min)
Second screenshot is: same, but rising edge and threshold just above min (it doesn't misbehave with threshold near max)

Edit: I only see this with a 125MHz osc.  100MHz, or below, triggers OK.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 03:18:45 am by bobxyz »

Offline akkk44

• Contributor
« Reply #204 on: November 30, 2023, 12:11:59 pm »
As long as the file is not available on one of the official websites, I would not download and install anything elsewhere.
I had this 1.02 installed and got massive offset problems that couldn't be calibrated away.

I solved the DC offset issue by:
1. Revert the oscilloscope to F/W 01.00. This is done by flashing the SD card with my backup. The goal here is to get F/W version 01.00 as 01.14 cause issues in my case.
2. Upgrade to F/W 01.02.
3. Run the self-cal without turning on engineering mode.
4. Reload the FPGA Boot.bin of F/W 01.02 with the script that Rigol provided in the /shell folder.

In my case, the oscilloscope works at least as well as on F/W 01.14.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #205 on: November 30, 2023, 09:58:28 pm »
Hi,
Far too much effort for a beta version of questionable origin.
I was able to successfully update my scope to the latest official version and will simply wait until there is something real.
(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: JDW

Offline JDW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #206 on: November 30, 2023, 10:06:21 pm »
Far too much effort for a beta version of questionable origin.

Exactly.  Which is why I brought up the issue earlier. Only a few select people have versions higher than the official 1.01, and although Fungus mentioned a download URL, he also mentioned it no longer works.  Even if it did, as you said, the origin is questionable at best.

That's why I think the only meaningful testing is done on 1.0 or 1.01 because they are official and what anyone (with the scope) can use.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 10:08:20 pm by JDW »

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline bobxyz

• Contributor
« Reply #207 on: December 01, 2023, 06:36:59 pm »
Edit: I think this was user error.  I'd mistakenly assumed that doing an "Auto" would reset all of the options since it resets all the probe options (e.g. reset to 1X DC).  Instead, doing an "Auto" does NOT reset the trigger noise reject mode.  With noise reject on, the waveform must exceed the hysteresis/noise level before triggering.

I'm continuing to have intermittent triggering problems.  It starts out OK but something that I'm doing gets it into a bad state where it won't trigger until the trigger level is well within the waveform.  Before it gets into the bad state, I can sweep the trigger level up and down across the whole waveform without losing trigger anywhere on the waveform (of course, it won't trigger when the level is outside the waveform).

I've been looking at a 8MHz canned oscillator and trying to trigger on the negative undershoot.  Currently it's in the bad state and is not triggering (the waveform on the display is from a slightly higher trigger level of 320mV).  [Normal triggering mode, DC coupling, 10x 150MHz Rigol probe, noise reject off, min holdoff (8ns),
1942077-0

I don't know what I did to get it into this state.  I've seen it several times now.  I'm mostly zooming in and out, while adjusting trigger, and doing some single-shot captures.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 06:39:40 pm by bobxyz »

Offline bobxyz

• Contributor
« Reply #208 on: December 01, 2023, 08:28:03 pm »
Edit2: Please ignore this and mark it as a Mistake (or delete the whole discussion) - it was a user error (overdriving the input stage)
------
Here's another weirdness I'm seeing.  Looking at the undershoot of a 8MHz canned oscillator while simply adjusting the voltage scale (1v/div down to 50mV/div), the displayed and measured undershoot values change drastically.  200mV and 100mV don't even show the undershoot, but it shows back up at 50mV/div.  Is it just me (or my scope), or can someone else repeat this?

Note: I power-cycled after the previous trigger issue, so this should be starting from a good state.

[P.S. how do you safely eject a USB stick after copying images to it?]

« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 10:55:59 pm by bobxyz »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: December 01, 2023, 09:41:45 pm »
Here's another weirdness I'm seeing.  Looking at the undershoot of a 8MHz canned oscillator while simply adjusting the voltage scale (1v/div down to 50mV/div), the displayed and measured undershoot values change drastically.  200mV and 100mV don't even show the undershoot, but it shows back up at 50mV/div. 

You are overdriving the input stage quite significantly at the higher vertical sensitivity settings. I assume what you see is just the effect of the resulting saturation. At 50 ns/div you are not giving the input amp a lot of time to recover.

EDIT: A benefit of having a 12-bit scope is that it offers you another way to look more closely at the overshoot, if that's what you are after: Capture the signal in a vertical range where you don't overdirve the input (or at least don't overdrive it too much); stop the acquisition; then do a vertical zoom into the captured signal "digitally".
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 09:45:06 pm by ebastler »

Offline bobxyz

• Contributor
« Reply #210 on: December 01, 2023, 10:53:52 pm »
Here's another weirdness I'm seeing.  Looking at the undershoot of a 8MHz canned oscillator while simply adjusting the voltage scale (1v/div down to 50mV/div), the displayed and measured undershoot values change drastically.  200mV and 100mV don't even show the undershoot, but it shows back up at 50mV/div. 

You are overdriving the input stage quite significantly at the higher vertical sensitivity settings. I assume what you see is just the effect of the resulting saturation. At 50 ns/div you are not giving the input amp a lot of time to recover.

EDIT: A benefit of having a 12-bit scope is that it offers you another way to look more closely at the overshoot, if that's what you are after: Capture the signal in a vertical range where you don't overdirve the input (or at least don't overdrive it too much); stop the acquisition; then do a vertical zoom into the captured signal "digitally".
Thanks, that makes much more sense.  I'd tried the zoom earlier but got confused since it was showing a truncated waveform.  I now see that you need to adjust the offset of the stored waveform before zooming, or else the top or bottom gets flat-lined.

Offline Menmo1

« Reply #211 on: December 04, 2023, 08:19:44 pm »
Hello! Can you share firmware v00.01.02.00.00 for DHO800? You would be a great help!

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #212 on: December 04, 2023, 08:37:37 pm »
Hello! Can you share firmware v00.01.02.00.00 for DHO800? You would be a great help!

You just asked that in another thread yesterday night. Please do not double-post. It is frowned upon here (and on most other forums too).

Offline JDW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #213 on: December 04, 2023, 10:47:06 pm »
I myself do NOT frown upon double posts, especially if the first post is never answered, which seems to be the case here.  Let freedom reign! 
However...

As I have said multiple times, in different ways (which I guess slips me past the double-post censors, he he), v1.02 hasn't been on any official Rigol sites THAT I HAVE SEEN, and it certainly isn't available now.  So that raises suspicion about its origin and purpose.  One would be wise to just avoid v.1.02 and stick with v1.01 because at least I see v1.01 available from Rigol.  Or at least I did a few days ago, but now...

That other thread says that v1.01 has been removed from official Rigol sources in some locations, which if true, raises the question about what the heck is going on.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Aldo22

Offline Serg65536

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #214 on: December 10, 2023, 12:30:50 pm »
Firmware 1.02 was released on the official rigol site, it was downloaded and installed by many forum users (search "1.02" in this thead)
However, it was withdrawn soon.
It has some pros and cons.

So make your own decision before downloading:
Download FW 1.02 from google drive

The following users thanked this post: JDW, Menmo1

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #215 on: December 10, 2023, 01:00:37 pm »
That other thread says that v1.01 has been removed from official Rigol sources in some locations, which if true, raises the question about what the heck is going on.  :palm:

That is going down the speculation road...   :-//

https://download.rigol.com/cn/Firmware/Digital%20Oscilloscope/DHO800%26DHO900/DHO800_DHO900(Software)UpdateV00.01.01.zip

The following users thanked this post: Serg65536

Offline JDW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #216 on: December 10, 2023, 02:45:36 pm »
That is going down the speculation road...   :-//

Ah yes... Speculation Road.  The road on which one travels when using v1.02 which is truly no longer available, speculating that the pros may outweigh the cons, speculating that it was pulled by Rigol for no good reason.

Yes, Speculation Road.  The road well travelled here.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #217 on: December 10, 2023, 04:09:39 pm »
Ah yes... Speculation Road.  The road on which one travels when using v1.02 which is truly no longer available, speculating that the pros may outweigh the cons, speculating that it was pulled by Rigol for no good reason.

Yes, Speculation Road.  The road well travelled here.

It's "Misinformation Road", really, as far as the alleged withdrawal of firmware 01.01 is concerned.

FW 01.01 is officially available on all Rigol sites, International, European and North American. On the NA site, they just forgot to put it into the "Support" section. But it is right there on the product pages, e.g. https://www.rigolna.com/products/rigol-digital-oscilloscopes/dho800/

Online csuhi17

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #218 on: December 10, 2023, 04:21:57 pm »
No, there was a little time when the 1.01 update could not be accessed on the Rigolna and Rigol eu websites either.
Then I thought they would replace it with a new one.

Has anyone asked Rigol about canceling the 1.02 update?
Then it would be possible to find out if it was real and why it was deleted.
Fnirsi oscilloscope = waste&regret

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #219 on: December 10, 2023, 05:38:38 pm »
Then it would be possible to find out if it was real and why it was deleted.

I'm sure it was real. It was on the Rigol site, APK files are signed, and quite a few people installed it.

It didn't really fix anything though so I don't know why everybody is obsessed with it.

There could be many reasons for pulling it. Maybe it had a new bug or something.

FWIW: I have a copy but I'm running 1.01 because I didn't see anything in the release notes that interested me.

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #220 on: December 10, 2023, 07:13:36 pm »
I'm not seeing a lot of bugs in the 924s. I've only had it a couple of days so I still have a few areas to check but so far so good. I think I'll sit with the version that came with it.

Also I wonder if Rigol did something with the fan, mine is not noisy and I'm, pretty finicky about those things, I once sold a Keysight instrument because of noise.

I really love this little guy!

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #221 on: December 10, 2023, 09:44:51 pm »
Also I wonder if Rigol did something with the fan, mine is not noisy

The fan isn't that loud either, in my "lab" the rigol is certainly not the loudest, I have lots of other annoying candidates at the start. ;)
The noise is higher-frequency than others, which is more noticeable - but when you hear something in comparison, it's not loud.
(Kierkegaard)

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #222 on: December 10, 2023, 11:31:49 pm »
They can only make the fan so big, it's going to have a small amount of whine.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #223 on: December 13, 2023, 08:00:02 pm »
I think I´ve found a little bug...

Fungus showed a "shortcut" in the menu for selecting coupling without using the dropdown bar - Cool.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-dho814-or-rigol-1054z/msg5220303/#msg5220303

A little yellow line is showing the active part in the block diagram - but there´s another yellow line for inverting on/off.
But this one you can´t touch, it won´t be moved either when you select inverting on/off.
Like I said, a small bug (and probably valid for all rigol dho scopes).

(Kierkegaard)

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #224 on: December 13, 2023, 09:47:12 pm »
I seem to be having a problem with the sensitivity of the touch screen not sensing my touch, any suggestions? I'm assuming this is capacitive, be nice if this had a mouse drive option.
Thanks,
Rob
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 09:49:19 pm by Robaroni »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf