Author Topic: Rigol DHO800/900 Oscilloscope Bug Reports + Firmware  (Read 264831 times)

Offline eTobey

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Rigol DHO800/900 Oscilloscope Bug Reports + Firmware
« Reply #650 on: May 31, 2024, 09:13:51 pm »
The math channel here is showing a range of 6mV at the top corner of a 300mV square wave.

Why didnt you go with 3.3V as i had written?
"Sometimes, after talking with a person, you want to pet a dog, wave at a monkey, and take off your hat to an elephant." (Maxim Gorki)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #651 on: June 01, 2024, 11:50:30 pm »
The math channel here is showing a range of 6mV at the top corner of a 300mV square wave.

Why didnt you go with 3.3V as i had written?

Because that's an old screenshot from a previous thread and I couldn't be bothered.  :)

Offline vsantos90

« Reply #652 on: June 23, 2024, 01:14:42 pm »
Hi everyone,

I received my DHO804 yesterday, bought it exactly to use the decoding capabilities.
After reading all the content from this thread, I finally managed to make the SPI decoder work with the probes configured to 10x  ;).
Due to this bug related to the thresholds, took a bit of time to figure out what was going on.
Actually, it had to adjust all the threshold to 10x (I was using 2V threshold with 1x probe → 20V threshold for 10x probe).
Interesting that the trigger configuration seems normal, I didn't need to adjust it in the same way.

Channel settings:
  • CH1: CLK
  • CH2: MOSI
  • CH3: MISO
  • CH4: CS

Attached follow my settings and output, hope that it can help the others to use such feature.

One question: I'm currently working more with firmware development, so these decoding features are the most important ones for me (SPI, I2C, UART, ..).
Is there any really critical bug related to these features right know that I'm maybe not aware of?
At the office I have a Rohde Schwarz RTB2004 scope, bought this Rigol one for home office.
Just asking because I have 30 days to return the product, then I want to make sure it will meet my needs.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2024, 01:25:48 pm by vsantos90 »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #653 on: June 23, 2024, 11:10:40 pm »
Is there any really critical bug related to these features right know that I'm maybe not aware of?

I never heard of one.

Note that if you want a full memory decode you have to go into zoom mode.

The following users thanked this post: vsantos90

Offline vsantos90

« Reply #654 on: June 24, 2024, 03:33:58 pm »
Oh, that's good to know, thanks for the hint.

Just to make sure, this bug with the 10x probe settings is related just with the decoder thresholds, right?
I mean, the trigger thresholds are not affected.

Online TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #655 on: June 24, 2024, 04:22:37 pm »
One question: I'm currently working more with firmware development, so these decoding features are the most important ones for me (SPI, I2C, UART, ..).
At the office I have a Rohde Schwarz RTB2004 scope, bought this Rigol one for home office.
Just asking because I have 30 days to return the product, then I want to make sure it will meet my needs.
Just my 2c - for serial comms analysis and decoding I much prefer a dedicated LA to the decoding features included in entry level scopes.  Unless you only need to inspect a few data packets that easily fit on the screen, a dedicated LA offers more flexibility and can generally be easier to capture and locate the data you are looking for.  A cheap $20 LA that works with the open source Sigrok software is sufficient for most serial comms protocols.  If you do frequent decoding analysis, you might consider stepping up a notch to something like the $149 DSlogic Plus LA that has a much greater feature set.

I tried decoding on my old SDS1104X-E scope but the constraint of being able to only decode what was captured on the screen was frustrating for me.  I suspect the decoding features on the newer models are very similar.
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PIC

The following users thanked this post: vsantos90

Offline vsantos90

« Reply #656 on: June 24, 2024, 05:12:13 pm »
Just my 2c - for serial comms analysis and decoding I much prefer a dedicated LA to the decoding features included in entry level scopes.  Unless you only need to inspect a few data packets that easily fit on the screen, a dedicated LA offers more flexibility and can generally be easier to capture and locate the data you are looking for.  A cheap $20 LA that works with the open source Sigrok software is sufficient for most serial comms protocols.  If you do frequent decoding analysis, you might consider stepping up a notch to something like the $149 DSlogic Plus LA that has a much greater feature set.

I tried decoding on my old SDS1104X-E scope but the constraint of being able to only decode what was captured on the screen was frustrating for me.  I suspect the decoding features on the newer models are very similar.

I really appreciate your feedback. As far as I know, the Rigol DHO804 does not debug only what appears in the screen but also the memory content (I remember to watch a video in this thread of someone showing such feature). Maybe I'm wrong  :-//
I have a cheap Saleae copy that I can use as a workaround for now, I really wasn't aware of this DSlogic Plus, seems very capable for the price tag. Good to know.

At the end, makes sense for me to have a scope at home. The company I work develop sensors, then here and there I need also to do some measurements  :-BROKE.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #657 on: June 24, 2024, 10:03:02 pm »
Just to make sure, this bug with the 10x probe settings is related just with the decoder thresholds, right?

Yes. It all works perfectly when you set probe attenuation to 1x on the 'scope.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #658 on: June 24, 2024, 10:07:15 pm »

Nope.

The DHO800/900 let you fill the memory and decode it all.

You can open a separate window to show all the decoded data as packets in a scrollable table.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #659 on: June 25, 2024, 11:18:52 am »

Horses for courses. I use both LAs and MSOs for serial decode, but the workflow and features are different.

o Triggers

Scopes with serial decode tend to have more complex protocol specific trigger capabilities available that cheap USB LAs lack. This has a fundamental affect on how one uses a scope compared to a USB LA.

o Memory depth & streaming

USB LAs often support unlimited streaming, whereas scopes rely on and are limited by memory depth for longer captures. Using a scope's triggers and segmented memory can usually mitigate the lack of unlimited streaming.

o Sample rate

Scopes tend to have higher sample rates over a larger number of concurrent channels compared to USB LAs. This typically impacts higher speed SPI decodes.

o Mixed signal time correlation

MSOs have integrated time correlation so you can directly analyse the interaction between digital and analogue signals.

o Workflow

For longer runs, on a scope, because of the triggers and lack of streaming, one tends to set up relevant triggers interactively and iteratively to capture specific events. On an LA that supports streaming, one tends to set up a long capture and then analyse the results retroactively.

For longer serial data streams, particularly longer slave device configurations, the results of a USB LA can often be more easily viewed and manipulated on the host PC than navigating and interpreting a longer capture on a scope.

On the SDS-1104X-E, yes, you need to have the entire capture, and have sufficient sample rate for the capture, but it will decode long captures, and you can save the entire decode to a CSV file. The implementation on this scope is certainly one of the better ones IME. The LA digital channel implementation on this scope is, on the other hand, terrible!

The DHO800/900, the decode is flakey AF. It misses bytes in I2C, and it subsamples, although it's not quite as bad as the DS1000Z. Getting a decode export on anything more than a short stream won't work. The SPI decode on the LA channels of the DHO900 series is currenty completely broken. I2C decoding on the analogue or digital channels is a constant fight, and is very unreliable.

There was certainly a significant drawback with the DS1000Z series where it undersamples the capture, so only a few bytes at a time are decoded. Typically you can work around it, but it's slow and messy.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #660 on: June 25, 2024, 05:29:29 pm »
The DHO800/900, the decode is flakey AF. It misses bytes in I2C, and it subsamples, although it's not quite as bad as the DS1000Z.

It has two ways of working.

Have you tried it in "zoom" mode?

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #661 on: June 25, 2024, 07:16:28 pm »
The DHO800/900, the decode is flakey AF. It misses bytes in I2C, and it subsamples, although it's not quite as bad as the DS1000Z.

It has two ways of working.

Have you tried it in "zoom" mode?

Yes. Frankly, it's crap. I wasted another hour with it today trying to work around its decode behaviour, only to find more and more crapiness.

Every time I try to use this scope, it never fails to disappoint. It seems to be random when you can export a csv too. And when you can, just like the onscreen decode, bytes are missing.

I simply cannot recommend this scope. One day maybe they'll fix it, but right now, it's an ornament.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #662 on: June 25, 2024, 07:42:09 pm »
Yes. Frankly, it's crap. I wasted another hour with it today trying to work around its decode behaviour, only to find more and more crapiness.

I don't know know what you're doing, exactly, but it always worked for me.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #663 on: June 25, 2024, 09:55:06 pm »

I don't know know what you're doing, exactly, but it always worked for me.

How long are your decodes?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #664 on: June 26, 2024, 02:17:48 am »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #666 on: June 26, 2024, 06:43:32 pm »
Why don't you tell us what you're doing instead of asking what everybody else is doing?

You're the one claiming it doesn't work.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #667 on: June 27, 2024, 12:44:02 pm »
Why don't you tell us what you're doing instead of asking what everybody else is doing?

Simply because it takes time, and I've already burned enough time on this steaming pile of turd.

You could, of course, always try it yourself.

You're the one claiming it doesn't work.

However, as you're so insistent, I've burned at least another couple of hours just to satisfy you.

Test data is on a 3.3V I2C bus running at 100kbps with a single master and single slave.

Sample rate is over 10MSa/s in all cases.

There are a total of 228 bytes in 84 frames.

I've run this on four scopes: an DHO924S, SDS-1104X-E, MSO3104T and MDO3014 (upgraded to 500MHz BW).

What are your results for I2C testing? Or are you simply relying on your overt and unflinching love for Rigol?

As you well know, I have long been a proponent for Rigol, but this scope has proved to be a real lemon.

They released it with unfinished and untested firmware almost a year ago, and very little has happened that we're aware of to even try to resolve that. It's still a very long way from even a beta release.

2296525-0

2296557-1

2296531-2

2296535-3

2296539-4

2296543-5

2296547-6

2296551-7

« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 01:07:47 pm by Howardlong »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #668 on: June 27, 2024, 03:24:44 pm »

Not without knowing your conditions, sampling rate, etc.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #669 on: June 27, 2024, 03:47:02 pm »

Not without knowing your conditions, sampling rate, etc.

What sampling rates have you tried I2C decoding with? Have you even tried I2C decoding at all on these scopes?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #670 on: June 27, 2024, 04:25:22 pm »
What are your results for I2C testing? Or are you simply relying on your overt and unflinching love for Rigol?

Here's a quick test writing two bytes to a device then reading the second byte back again.

Looks OK to me...

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #671 on: June 27, 2024, 04:27:05 pm »
Have you even tried I2C decoding at all on these scopes?

Yes, of course I have.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #672 on: June 27, 2024, 04:44:53 pm »
Just checking: You do have your probe attenuation set to 1x on the 'scope, right?

Offline rpro

• Contributor
« Reply #673 on: June 27, 2024, 05:40:50 pm »

Here's a quick test writing two bytes to a device then reading the second byte back again.

Looks OK to me...

Attached is how it looks with the Batronix demo board.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #674 on: June 27, 2024, 09:53:16 pm »
Just checking: You do have your probe attenuation set to 1x on the 'scope, right?

No. 10x on the probes, 10x on the probe settings. Is there some reason why I shouldn't be doing that for decoding?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf