Author Topic: Restoring / Repairing an old Fluke 8000A  (Read 7483 times)

Offline Deccatech

Re: Restoring / Repairing an old Fluke 8000A
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2022, 12:54:05 pm »

I wonder how we ever made it to the point where the first step in troubleshooting electronics is change all the capacitors.   
[/quote]

A great sentiment, refreshing to read on the web!  My very best wishes to you and all who diagnose...

Offline Jordanch68

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2022, 06:19:48 am »
Hello, I just thought I'd add my experience with three of these meters I've been working on since this post came up in a Google search.

1. Download a free PDF of the manual as it has the service info as well.

2. Replace the three large caps in the power supply section. I went with Vishay blues from Mouser. Note their cost will likely exceed the value of the meter but it's to be expected.

3. I've had some success finding the IC's via the Fluke part number in the manual rather than going on what's printed on the IC. One had a missing U4 and I was able to get it via the Fluke part number.

4. Erratic display or button selection issues. Clean each switch. I used Rem Oil in a spray can. Set the unit on it's face. There's a square hole in the back of each switch, give each switch a 2 second spray of Rem Oil there. Once with the switch forward and once when pushed in. Use a short burst of compressed air on each there afterwards and prop it on a front corner to let excess oil drain away. Then cycle each switch 10 times to verify full range of motion.

I fixed all three of these "non-working" EBay purchases this way. Just 3 caps and a switch cleaning. In my testing all three match their measured values.

Good luck keeping yours going. The only thing I'm looking for are the LED modules. The part number isn't in the manual but in the unit it's :
Q2546

Thanks,
Chris

Offline staticx57

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2022, 06:08:01 pm »
Just want to add a data point, I bought one off of ebay that was reported with an erratic display. Spraying contact cleaner in the switches from the back seems to fix that behavior.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf