Author Topic: owon sds7102V - trigger issue  (Read 1923 times)

Offline gmarticTopic starter

owon sds7102V - trigger issue
« on: August 30, 2019, 05:07:55 pm »
Couldn't find anything in search. Bought this scope in 2013 and used it occasionally. Right now I have a problem with a scope as waveform won't stabilize in normal edge trigger mode. When I connect probe to 1khz 'probe comp' (or any other source) waveform just constantly moves, it is useless.
I can only see image when:
-push 'single' button
-select 'normal' - but then it displays 'Ready' (top left) and it is same as single
-select slope and then adjust treshold (high-low) until it stabilizes

An if I use slope I have to adjust everytime test signal is different (square, sine, triangle etc.)

Send message to Owon (as they really do not have chat) and to Saelig (where scope was ordered from) - no any replies what to do - at least to buy a new main board or something else.

Now it is hard to tell at what moment this happened. I think (and could be wrong) problem started when I've went to 'save' option (which is so badly described in manual) trying to use 'record' function. When I've went back to 'normal' channels disappeared and had to keep pushing buttons until they've come back. But problem started there.

Then went to Owon site and downloaded new firmware for this scope but problem persists.

So it is kind of disappointing that I had to pay $400 for equipment not much used, kind of failed (not yet completely) and almost coming to the point to go and buy yet again scope for one-time use. It works until it doesn't and then there is nothing you can do and buy another one and support Chinese companies developing their product.

I do not use Scope often so kind of reluctant to spend another $400-$500 for something that may or not may not work. I'd buy Tektronix but they are just so expensive (even cheapest model).

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be and how to solve it - before buying a new one? Sure it would not be Owon.

Offline gmarticTopic starter

Re: owon sds7102V - trigger issue
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 03:48:03 am »
Ok, an update to this. After sending three chat messages to Owon and no answer I've sent an email and then got some attention. Guy sent me an update form my scope serial (SDS71021344308) and after flashing scope with it edge trigger problem was not there anymore. It was fixed.
So now the question is: if you decide to do firmware upgrade and your scope is not working as before how to go back to previous one? I don't think one can 'extract' firmware and save it. Also owon does not keep previous firmware on their site.

But anyway, reason I've went for firmware upgrade is that I had a problem with scope after I've tried to use (frist time) 'save' and 'record' function. It works fine but when you go back to normal measurement, waveform becomes unstable and only way (almost) is to make it stable is to reboot. Kind of annoying.

In this soundless video:

Shown is waveform in edge trigger after owon sent a patch (took a week - almost got to the point to buy a new scope). Then waveform becomes unstable after coming back from 'save' function. It could be stabilized by pushing ch1, ch2, trigger buttons or moving waveform up and down but reboot is the best bet.

Maybe someone will run into a similar issue.

Offline Vancarant

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 07:20:35 am »
I came to know this topic to apply it to the problems I've encountered.

Offline dboris

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 09:50:19 am »
Same problem with a VDS1022I since this summer.
I will mail them.
I thought I had broke it somehow.

|O

Offline beecurling

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 10:23:25 am »
Hey,

I got the same scope with the same problem. Suddenly it won't trigger anymore on waveforms (triggering on line frequency works though). I've had not any luck with Owon support so far.

@gmartic Do you mind sharing the firmware, if you still have it?
@dboris @Vancarant Did you solve this issue?

Offline TomC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2023, 10:32:21 am »
I'm wondering if you still have the firmware patch that fixed your trigger problem. I have an SDS7102 that developed the same symptoms that you describe. I also noticed that in addition to edge not working, pulse, ext, and ext/5 are out. I can use slope and AC successfully, but wasn't able to test video for lack of an appropriate signal. I also notice that I can get a brief edge trigger when moving the trigger level across the 0v line. I think that whatever is ailing my machine is likely the same thing that happened to yours.

So far I've have tried reflashing the firmware to several older versions and then back to the latest version available for my scope ( 3.8 ). However, the same problem persists on every firmware version that I tried. I've tried contacting OWON several times but no response to chat or emails so far.

***** UPDATE:

Received two patches from OWON on 2023 2-26. The following describes my experience step by step:

1. After running the first patch (SDS7102V-EDS102CV-V5.15.0-BI) the splash screen faded and after a short time turned to solid yellow. The scope didn't reboot automatically.

2. After initiating the second patch (SDS7102V1246320) I rebooted the scope manually. The second patch hung-up on "wait for machine process". After waiting for 5 minutes I aborted the update and rebooted the scope. The scope booted to a yellow screen and kept automatically rebooting every few seconds.

3. I thought the scope was bricked, but tried running the second patch again while the constant rebooting was going on. The patch seemed to run normally this time. There were progress updates along with brief "wait for machine process" messages. The patching process ended with the "rebooting machine" message. The scope's screen was still solid yellow at this time and didn't reboot automatically. I closed the patch program and rebooted the scope manually.

4. This time the scope booted normally to Chinese language (even though I had selected English while running the patch). I changed the language to English and started testing the scope's functionality. Found that edge trigger was working properly now. The registration of the Probe Comp waveforms on the screen didn't seem normal, so I ran "self calibration" and it cleared these issues.

5. I tested all the features that had stopped working (edge trigger, Ext trigger, Pulse trigger, Autoset, Autoscale) and they are all working correctly now. I tested other common features to verify that they were not compromised. This included slope trigger, various Measures including view all, cursor measure for both time and voltage, Save waveform and settings, Help. Everything seems to be working fine.

6. The About screen now reads: SDS7102V,     S/N 1251320,  Version 5.15.0,  Checksum E200593E.
   Previously it read:         SDS7102V, series: 1246320, Version: 3.8,    checksum: BB9734B5.

7. Aside for the serial number and version number being different now (see 6 above), I noticed some changes in the menus:

a. Measure type has several more types available now, including FRR, FRF, FFR, FFF, ... . I haven't figured out what these are yet, they
      are not described in the latest manual available for download.

b. Measure "Show All" has 3 fewer items than before: DelayA->B]~PD, DelayA->B[~ND, and Phase~RP. However, all three are still available
      to add individually.

c. Utility Function Output has three more items than before: Connect Computer, Connect Printer, and Print. When I press Connect Computer
      or Connect Printer I can hear my PC's USB connect sound. Print is shaded, I presume it needs a printer connected to become available,
      but I haven't figured out how to do that yet. These new menu items are not documented in the latest manual available for download.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 05:03:55 am by TomC »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf