Poll

Rigol or BK Precision?

Rigol DS1054Z
21 (91.3%)
BK Precision 2190D
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Oscilloscope purchase  (Read 7377 times)

Offline jdesa38845Topic starter

Oscilloscope purchase
« on: April 06, 2015, 04:45:41 pm »
Hi, I'm looking to purchase an oscilloscope and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with either the BK Precision 2190D or the Rigol DS1054Z.  Recognizing that the Rigol is a 50MHZ / 4 channel scope and the BK is a 100MHZ 2 channel scope, I am still undecided as to which specifications would suit me better, I just wanted to see if anyone has used these at all and whtat they could provide me in the way of feedback.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Oscilloscope purchase
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 05:13:43 pm »
Hi, I'm looking to purchase an oscilloscope and wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with either the BK Precision 2190D or the Rigol DS1054Z.  Recognizing that the Rigol is a 50MHZ / 4 channel scope and the BK is a 100MHZ 2 channel scope, I am still undecided as to which specifications would suit me better, I just wanted to see if anyone has used these at all and whtat they could provide me in the way of feedback.

This topic comes up at least twice a week. I suggest you look at past threads. Be aware that you will get a flame-fest of people with very definite opinions; it is up to you to judge the balance of their statements.

For your own purposes, you ought to define what type of signal you are going to be measuring, because different scopes and probes have different advantages and disadvantages. Expect to be unpleasantly surprised at how much some probes cost; the reasons for the cost can be illuminating.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline JohnnyBerg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 06:06:18 pm »
This topic comes up at least twice a week.

At least :P

Offline George_Race

• Regular Contributor
    • Race Consulting
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 12:42:52 am »
Everyone is correct, you can write and read on this subject for months, and it gets more confusing the more you read.

Some very simple advice from an old timer who has been using scopes since the very first HeathKit scope hit the market back in the 1950's!

I am still an experimenter, and like to buy, repair, and resell old high quality test gear, mostly HP.

The last time I changed scopes I decided that it would be my last scope purchase, (turned 79 a couple of days ago) so I did one heck of a lot of research to come up with what I thought would be my ideal scope.

In the end I settled on having two scopes.  My primary scope turned out to be a TEK-2445B Analogue.  In addition I wanted one that would display and store high speed digital signals as well.  For that I settled on a TEK-2440.

Have been using them both for about 3 years and have yet to find something that I could not display.

If I was going to purchase just one today it would be the TEK-2445B.  It is a real pleasure to use, and all the auto features blow me away.  Makes it so easy to do waveform observation I wonder why I did not look for one sooner!  It displays, numerically, frequency, amplitude, and just about any thing else you need to know about the waveform you are looking at.

You can purchase either one for a very good price on eBay, and there are a lot of very reputable sellers out there that will stand behind their sales.

Here is a link to my current test bench setup. 
(The 2445B is on top of the 2440.)
http://www.mrrace.com/product_pages/other_items/MyTestBench/index.htm

Hope this helps,
George Race
Race Consulting

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 12:49:54 am »
Do not buy Rigol, you will be sorry. That is my feedback.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 01:07:02 am »
There are tons of posts on this topic but I will summarize it for you.

Rigol DS1054Z is the best bang for buck digital scope at this moment. You get a quality scope with a ton of features for a great price. It's everyone's favorite entry level scope.

But it gets better. It can be easily unlocked to 100Mhz with a hack. It's a no brainer.

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 01:09:22 am »
There are tons of posts on this topic but I will summarize it for you.

Rigol DS1054Z is the best bang for buck digital scope at this moment. You get a quality scope with a ton of features for a great price. It's everyone's favorite entry level scope.

But it gets better. It can be easily unlocked to 100Mhz with a hack. It's a no brainer.

plus the BK is just a chinese rebrand.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 01:11:16 am »

Must you pile into every thread with this?

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 01:12:22 am »

If you're going to provide "feedback" like this, you could at least give a more detailed reasoning.

Offline Wmacky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 01:27:57 am »
Canadian hit and run?  :-//

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 01:32:11 am »
Rigol is winning 12 - 0  ;)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 04:44:28 am »

If you're going to provide "feedback" like this, you could at least give a more detailed reasoning.
I gave plenty of it in Rigol jitter problems thread (Blog #683) in Blog Specific section. If you have couple spare evenings you can have yourself a informative read.

@Monkeh - may be next time you could try to post on Topic.

Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 05:39:55 am »
I gave plenty of it in Rigol jitter problems thread (Blog #683) in Blog Specific section. If you have couple spare evenings you can have yourself a informative read.

Jitter which:
(a) Nobody even noticed until a couple of months had passed and somebody accidentally stumbled across the pathological case where it shows itself.

and,
(b) Can be fixed with a freely-downloadable firmware update.

Offline LaurenceW

• Frequent Contributor
    • It's Time, Jim, but not as we know it
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2015, 03:03:25 pm »
Bud, your "feedback" is your opinion - nothing more. Some of us don't share it.
If you don't measure, you don't get.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 03:06:30 pm »
Shame my message, the second in this thread, was so prescient :(

Not very edifying.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf