Author Topic: Small budget current probe  (Read 2157 times)

Offline anishkgtTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • George Hobby
Small budget current probe
« on: August 31, 2017, 11:41:38 am »
So after a while working with mini projects I am bringing to get the feeling that I should have a current probe.

I found this in eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/172452659846

How good are these at 62$ ?

Www.Georgehobby.wordpress.com

Equipments: DSO104z, Hakko FX888D

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Small budget current probe
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 11:49:27 am »
20 KHz BW is very limiting, you should look for something with at least 100 KHz.

Pintek PA-622 or 655 would be better BW choice.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline OldDogSleeping

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 02:33:01 pm »
I have one, and it works fine for my needs.

I use it when setting up stepper motor drivers. The limited BW and tendency to drift are not really a problem for me.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 03:41:17 pm »
A simple shunt resistor might do the job, too.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 03:49:55 pm »
I have never used the one you link to but would say like any equipment, depends what you need.  For me, there is no one simple probe solution. 

For DC to 100MHz in the 1mA to 1A range, I have a very old Tektronix P6042 that I modified.  Below 1MHz, these probes can handle 20Ap-p.   

If you are just a hobbyist, I see no reason you could not roll your own.  It sounds like you may not even have a need for one yet and are just interested in playing with one.  Maybe just wait a while.   This video shows where I followed an article about using a split-core to make one.  There is a link to the article in the description. 

I like the UNI-T UT210E as a general purpose clamp.  The fact it can resolve down to 1mA makes it a no brainer for hunting automotive electrical problems.  It can also measure up to 100A.  I added an analog output to one just using a small buffer amp.

The bandwidth on these is only a few KHz.  But because they are so cheap, there was no reason not to take a crack at modifying one to up the response.  This may be the highest BW UT210E on the planet.  It took a fair amount of effort to come up with a workable design.  For me anyway, designing and constructing things is what I enjoy doing with electronics.     

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 04:00:41 pm »
I got one directly from Chine with wery low price. It definedly can not compete with Hameg equivalents I used in the past.  ;D I always worry it will just crumble in my hands, but considering how cheap it were <30€ I can not complain. It works in a way that it pass through a signal, but that it is all that can be said. Protection level (CAT or equivalent rating) can be considered near zero.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf