Author Topic: Recommend a general purpose all round handheld DMM?  (Read 6329 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Recommend a general purpose all round handheld DMM?
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2020, 10:38:43 am »
It's all good.
Meanwhile I'm looking at the Brymen... might be the one.

Brymens get a thumbs up from me.

Or should I be glad to cast away the thought of "needing" another DMM.  :phew:

Me?  I think you should be getting a Fluke 101 to go along with your new Brymen.  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 11:22:23 am by Fungus »

Offline TrackerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2020, 10:42:13 am »
:-\  :-\  :-\  ??? Or should I be glad to cast away the thought of "needing" another DMM.  :phew:

I'm kinda in the same boat, my UT61E is a good all round meter (for the price) on my bench. But the split terminals are letting it down and making me look elsewhere.
If I could replace the split posts somehow I would.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2020, 12:00:29 pm »
You could buy an Aneng AN8008 while you think about things, after all the world could end tomorrow - especially with our current 'leadership'.

Perhaps you'd be better off buying a Geiger counter?

[EDIT]
I Googled "Keysight uk used" and landed on a web page that asks what country I'm in, that list includes Ireland if you click on 'more countries'.  There aren't any U12XX meters there right now but you can watch.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:12:52 pm by Gandalf_Sr »
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2020, 12:15:24 pm »
You could buy an Aneng AN8008 while you think about things, after all the world could end tomorrow - especially with our current 'leadership'.

Perhaps you'd be better off buying a Geiger counter?

Ha ha, already have an AN8008, someone gave it to me foc.
Regarding your prediction... where I'm located I feel sandwiched in between two lunatics  :palm:

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2020, 02:59:15 pm »
I would like to have the super-fast Hioki meter : https://www.hioki.com/en/products/list/?category=20
The only downside why i dont want it because you have to take out and insert the cables every time, so its only fast when measuring a whole lot, not fast for measuring 1 resistor.
Safety Terminal Shutters

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2020, 04:37:35 pm »
I would like to have the super-fast Hioki meter : https://www.hioki.com/en/products/list/?category=20

Me, too, but they're even more expensive then Flukes.

The only downside why i dont want it because you have to take out and insert the cables every time, so its only fast when measuring a whole lot, not fast for measuring 1 resistor.

:-//

It's just the same as most other meters. You switch cables for measuring amps.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2020, 05:59:50 pm »
J-R has the right idea.  In a spreadsheet, list the various attributes and assign a value for how much it is worth in relation to other features.  Then, for each DMM, figure its total score against your desired attributes and, voila', you have a winner.  Maybe...

Include a score for price.

I figure my Fluke 189 covers the high end and my Aneng 8008 covers the low end.  The two EEVblog meters are in the middle - both good meters.  After all the fiddling around, I reach for the 8008 when I want to actually use a meter.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2020, 06:22:37 pm »
You guys have got me thinking, I think I'm going to sell my U1242B either here or on eBay.  I have a U1252B and a U1242C and this kind of sits in the middle plus I'm downsizing as I approach full retirement. Plus I have another 3 or 4 multimeters including an AN8008.

Online J-R

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2020, 04:59:53 am »
OP, the Fluke 87-V could be what you're looking for.  It's just very nice to use.  No connectivity options, though.  I picked up a new/return with cal+data for under $300.  Mine is unbelievably accurate.  400 hour battery life.

The BM235 is in my toolbox.  Paid around $100 a couple years ago.  Among the regular features, the flashing continuity indicator and EF detection have been great for typical residential duties.  200+ hours battery life.

I found the Brymen BM869s a little difficult to like.  It was just under $300 for essentially a full deluxe bundle + USB interface and some misc. accessories/fuses/etc.  After giving the selector switch a once-over and calibrating it, I suppose it may stick around.  The software hasn't been updated since 2012.  Out of the box accuracy was atrocious and just barely within spec.  Battery life is a low 100 hours.

I've always liked the 121GW.  Great form factor, features and price (about $200).  I did make some minor tweaks to the selector switch so it's light and smooth as silk.  I also went through some of the calibration processes for the fun of it and being able to save/restore the calibration data is one of the many aspects I like about it.  My biggest complaint is that it is generally slow.  500+ hour battery life.

Honorable mention to the Fluke 233 which I snagged new/return with cal+data for a little over $100.  That removable display is some oddball fun....

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2020, 08:32:43 am »
OP, the Fluke 87-V could be what you're looking for.  It's just very nice to use.  No connectivity options, though.  I picked up a new/return with cal+data for under $300.

Maybe you could tell us all where to buy them at that price. I don't see any around here.

Online J-R

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2020, 08:48:57 am »
OP, the Fluke 87-V could be what you're looking for.  It's just very nice to use.  No connectivity options, though.  I picked up a new/return with cal+data for under $300.

Maybe you could tell us all where to buy them at that price. I don't see any around here.

Well, I assume you noticed my location...there is a used/return on Amazon right now for $242.81:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01CFXJDWK/

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2020, 09:28:16 am »
there is a used/return on Amazon right now for $242.81:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01CFXJDWK/

I clicked that and I get this:

(plus I probably get to pay taxes and handling fees on that)

Online J-R

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2020, 09:44:49 am »
Are you in the US?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2020, 09:46:08 am »

Online J-R

• Super Contributor

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2020, 10:08:21 am »
How about an Aneng 888S?  It's got dual display and you can listen to music while making measurements.

There's a thread on it here.

It's on sale at Banggood for $65 US for the Chinese New Year.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2020, 10:26:19 am »
No.
:palm:

Neither is the person you're advising.  :popcorn:

(and for somebody who posted "Well, I assume you noticed my location..." then it seemed a bit much)

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2020, 11:42:12 am »
How about an Aneng 888S?  It's got dual display and you can listen to music while making measurements.

This guys are awesome!  :-DD

I'll wait though, for one were I can take a coffee and beer (the model with dual display, you see). Always useful in the shack  :popcorn:

Offline Jan Audio

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2020, 03:15:04 pm »
Why dont they have that many count in the handheld version from aneng ?
Hope this year they make a 100000 count at least.
Dont need a radio.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2020, 06:12:50 pm »

I'd love to see Joe zap-test that meter, we need to crowd fund one for him! 

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2020, 06:46:24 pm »
Has anybody got pictures of the insides?

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2020, 07:04:17 pm »

A couple of years ago I lucked across a retailer unloading new old stock on eBay. Bought a brand-new factory-sealed 87-V manufactured 3-4 years prior that I was able to register with Fluke for the lifetime warranty, for the grand total of $250 shipped. One of my proudest electronics finds so far. So the deals are out there to be found, it's just a matter of fortuitous timing.

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2020, 07:09:25 pm »

If memory serves, that's basically the guts of the Aneng 870 with OLED, BT and clock bits added on. The 870 is itself a pretty decent meter for its $30 price range. Not on the level of a Bryman, but pretty good specs. I have one, although it's not seen much use.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2020, 08:28:03 pm »

Just watched Joe's UT181A review videos, wow nice meter with great data logging features...
I need to put on my list of considerations!

I can get one for just 50 Euro more than the Brymen 869s and as Joe mentions it comes with PC -USB kit included, so effectively the same price.

If only it didn't fail the ESD zapper test at ~15kv  |O

I respect Joe's wishes to keep the mod between himself and Uni-T.
But I'm guessing a good hint is in the first part of Joe's video where he mentions there was good PCB clearance on around input terminals but no cuts implemented by Uni-t.
Besides, Ireland isn't known for it's dry climate so doubt it will be much of an issue.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2020, 01:41:22 pm »
I'd love to see Joe zap-test that meter, we need to crowd fund one for him!

There's not much of a reason to run one.   I've looked at a few ANENG meters and they perform poorly.   Then again, if the 121GW is the golden baseline that had a problem with the grill starter and was total damaged at 2KV, the AN8008 made it to 2.5KV, the AN8002 to 3KV and the AN860B to 4KV.   Not only that, alcohol does not appear to effect the lettering on the ANENGs where it will strip the lettering off the 121GW. 

Yes, the layout of the 181A needs some help.   I won't be showing details on DMM mods or how to make nitroglycerin on YouTube anytime soon.   The world is filled with people who would attempt to sell kits and mod them themselves.  If someone were injured, you know that they will not take responsibility.     

You may remember a kid that died a few years back after watching a video on MOTs and playing with one at home.  Who do you think the family blames for their death,  the kid who had no understanding of the risks, the family who wasn't involved with helping the kid learn, or the YT channel that shows it?   Three simple mistakes cost him his life. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf