Author Topic: Checkout this single shot captures  (Read 5966 times)

Offline edmundoptTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • There's theory and practice...
Checkout this single shot captures
« on: August 22, 2015, 02:49:00 am »
I was playing with this DSO5102P, upgraded firmware, leave on about 20min, calibrated, and let's play

well, I think the images speak by themselves, the scope is clean, no near equipment making noise , earth on my office is good and tested.
question is, I think its firmware, I am trying to get more recent version, even on the huge thread, nothing..

probe was connected to square wave output of the scope

so, try harder to get firmware or send it to warranty, it still has 2 more years of warranty !

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
Re: Checkout this single shot captures
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 03:56:58 am »
Wow, that's a mess all right. Have you tried using a different probe? Maybe the probe isn't making good contact with your calibrator output or something.

I've reproduced your settings as closely as possible on my Rigol 1054z (which has 1kHz, 3V p calibrator and 1-2-5 increments on the timebase) and I get nothing like what you are getting... my SS captures look fine in all respects.

Somehow I doubt that your problem is firmware-related, but that's just my guess.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline JoeB83

• Regular Contributor
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 04:07:16 am »
I don't know much about your scope, I've only used Agilent and Tek stuff-but if i had results similar to these, I'd look at acquisition, trigger, and memory settings.

Offline mazurov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 04:10:47 am »
I have the same scope and have the same crap when acquisition is set to 'peak'.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - RFC1925

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 04:34:32 am »
Well, maybe it is firmware related then. Even with all the bugs in the Rigol, those screenshots make me glad I chose to get the Rigol instead of the Hantek.

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 04:46:33 am »
well, I think the images speak by themselves

They absolutely do not. It looks to me like you've recorded a single shot waveform, and then zoomed into the stored capture. Obviously the data was only 8 bits to begin with, and you've zoomed in about 50x until the quantisation is massively evident on screen and there's one LSB per division.

If that's what's happened, then that's working exactly as intended, you can't expect the scope to pull data out of the past like that. If that's not what's happened, then the images obviously don't speak for themselves are you need to describe the procedures that you undertook to take these screenshots. Why have you sent ten screenshots? Two screenshots and some clear descriptive text would have been much more useful.

Here's the same bug unavoidable design compromise exhibited by my Rigol DS2000 series:

EDIT: Fixed broken image link.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 11:28:33 am by rs20 »

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 05:08:27 am »
Well, I guess I "assumed" that the SS shots weren't zoomed after capture and were captured at the parameters shown on the screengrabs. Of course if I capture at reasonable settings and _then_ zoom in and/or change other parameters, I can also get similar garbage on the screen with my Rigol.

So.... neither firmware nor hardware faults, but rather "scope abuse"  is the cause of the issue.... ?

But does this cover all of the OP's screengrabs? How to account for the OP's second shot, where the scope appears to be triggering on a _falling edge_ rather than the rising edge asked for?

Or the sixth shot, where the waveform and timebase indicates a 1 kHz signal, but the scope is reporting 5+ kHz?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 05:13:55 am by alsetalokin4017 »

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 05:30:27 am »
But does this cover all of the OP's screengrabs? How to account for the OP's second shot, where the scope appears to be triggering on a _falling edge_ rather than the rising edge asked for?

Is it? I just see a pile of quantization noise on the screen on the second picture? In any case, rise/fall trigger issues are common, and easily fixed by reducing bandwidth, selecting low pass triggering options etc, using a pulse trigger mode, etc etc.

Or the sixth shot, where the waveform and timebase indicates a 1 kHz signal, but the scope is reporting 5+ kHz?

Maybe there's a bug where the frequency measurement messes up when you zoom in. I don't know, I can't tell because the OP hasn't told us any useful information, and I don't think it's particularly useful for us to speculate what he/she thinks is wrong.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 05:39:20 am »
well, I think the images speak by themselves
They absolutely do not.
+1
Back to scope school for the OP.  :-DD

Images 5 & 7 are correct.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 07:07:21 am »
The images speak by themselves because they are in order, anyway, after setting the triger to peak and trigering , pic_11_15 shows the dual screen view with T, meaning that is the alliasing of normal operation, then image pic_11_16 shows another  triger at the same zoom level.. Problem is that after peak trigering osc goes mad. Normal trigering seems to work just fine

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 05:23:15 pm »

so you have same issue, do you power off osc after getting a single shot with peak ?
or is there a work around for it to get back to normal ?
what firmware are you runing ?

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 05:36:35 pm »
Is that me or there is no information about the timebase on each of this screenshot?

Or it is the "W" parameter on top? if yes there is no SS with the same parameter in a row.

I agree with rs20, seems more an "abuse" of zooming on a single shot than a real problem.

Of exemple, I took my rigol DS2072A, done the same setup as the first screenshot, take a singleshot, then zoom at a similar level than picture two, and I have something really similar.

Of course I a do again a single with the same parameter the "noise" is much more acceptable.

I will try to capture that
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 05:45:11 pm by Godzil »
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline mazurov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 05:53:15 pm »
so you have same issue, do you power off osc after getting a single shot with peak ?
or is there a work around for it to get back to normal ?
what firmware are you runing ?

My workaround is not to use peak mode of this scope.  This is also my general approach to Chinese products - use functions that work and don't worry about the rest.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - RFC1925

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 06:05:32 pm »
So in order.

I set the same parameter as the first picture of the OP and do a singleshot

On the singleshot I zoom with the same parameter as the second capture of the OP

I pressed the Single button to take a shot with the same parameters

Again, select the same parameter as the OP third picture

Unzoom at a similar level

Then zoom at again a similar level still on the same single shoot

And repress the Single button to take a shot with current parameters.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 06:08:52 pm by Godzil »
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf