Author Topic: Function generator  (Read 1517 times)

Offline NiaDebesisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Function generator
« on: January 22, 2017, 07:46:17 pm »
Hello!
I have made this tread in the wrong place, i ask at someone to close my other thread...also

I have to buy my firse function generator and i don' t know wich buy..my budget is 150€
I have saw a bk precision 4011 and other stuff like this, but i don' t know if they are ok, i have a Rigol D1054Z

Thanks at all

Best regards

Nia

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Function generator
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 08:30:40 pm »
Have some patience. It is not like your question is the most inspiring one to get any responses in 3 hours.

Any equipment is fine, stop collecting it and start doing things and you will quickly learn if equipment you have is ok for what you are doing with it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:19:50 am by ataradov »
Alex

Online rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: Function generator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 01:18:09 am »
Why don't you help the members help you?  What are your needs?  What are your limitations?
Max sine frequency
Max square wave frequency
Arbitrary waveform required - how many points, how high the frequency
How many channels
What voltage levels versus frequency (ok, this may be over the top but it does separate Siglent from Rigol in the higher end models)
What do you plan to use it for (at least for now, things will change in the future).
Can you get by with a truly cheap signal generator (FG085 $50 - https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11394).  A neat little unit but hardly high end (I have one)

Is a USB model (PC controlled) acceptable?

Have you searched the forum for other discussions.  There are some epic threads but typically for tools that are a little more expensive.  You may find stuff in the $50 range and stuff up over $250, I'm not sure what is available in the middle.  If I were buying an Arbitrary Wavefore Generator right now, it would be the Siglent DSG2042X.

OTOH, if the specs would meet my needs, I would buy the Digilent Analog Discovery for $279 and be happy with all the features:

http://store.digilentinc.com/analog-discovery-2-100msps-usb-oscilloscope-logic-analyzer-and-variable-power-supply/

I have one...

Do a little more homework and state your requirements.

FWIW, I do not have a bench Arbitrary Waveform Generator.  I might buy one but I'm still trying to figure out why.  I've been doing this stuff a long time and in my corner of the electronics sand box, it just hasn't been necessary.  Especially since I have two other ways of generating something.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:28:58 am by rstofer »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf