Author Topic: Non-standard test leads?  (Read 1047 times)

Offline GregDunnTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Non-standard test leads?
« on: September 10, 2018, 01:09:56 am »
I was sorting and storing my test leads tonight after the big DMM consistency check, and realized I had a pair (probably came as part of a bundle with my Fluke 179 pawn shop purchase) which I hadn't tested yet.  They have no branding whatsoever, just the part number TL-99-1.  I plugged them into one of my meters and - the plugs didn't seat fully.  In fact, they wouldn't go into any of the guarded receptacles far enough to make electrical contact!  I pushed pretty hard (on one of the cheaper meters, not wanting to damage an expensive one) and still nothing.

Here's a picture of the plug (left) next to a Fluke plug.  It sure looks like the contact pin is too large but the guard is comparably sized.  Also attached is a picture of the probe end - looks properly marked but could be a fake I suppose.

Is there a different sized test probe pin that I'm not aware of?  I have no idea where these came from originally.  All my other guarded probes, including some pretty cheap ones, have no trouble fitting any of my meters.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: Non-standard test leads?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 03:01:28 am »
i have a feeling you are handling some serious trash

The following users thanked this post: 001

Offline GregDunnTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Non-standard test leads?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 03:05:57 am »
At least they were free.   ;D  The sad thing is that they look and feel pretty solid - nice strain reliefs at each end, professional looking two-color molding, threaded tips.  I guess the best thing I can do now is chop the plugs off and put some proper ones on, then relegate them to low voltage measurements...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf