Author Topic: Power supplies with a good looking full color LCD display - do they exist?  (Read 15142 times)

Offline SharpEarsTopic starter

• Supporter
So far, I have found that only the Owon ODP3032 has a nice looking color display. Are there any other power supplies with decent color diplays?

Before you say, "Who cares?" I am trying to get my son interested in electronics and he expects the PS to have a good looking display (like his Android phone). I know this may sound stupid, but, are there any other power supplies with decent color displays?

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 10:21:26 pm by SharpEars »

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: Power supplies with a good looking full color LCD display - do they exist?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 10:41:02 pm »
rigol dp832a

Offline moya034

• Regular Contributor
  • Former Welder, IT guy, and Ham Radio Junkie
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 10:43:50 pm »
I can't think of any. The Rigol PSU has a color display but I'm not sure if it is what he would classify as nice looking if a smart phone is his benchmark. That said why not make a project of building a power supply that uses a custom app on the phone as the User Interface? I wonder if you can get a phone to work something like an FTDI RS232 to USB IC?

Edit: Of course you could charge the phone at the same too.  8)

Offline idpromnut

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 11:03:16 pm »
Before you say, "Who cares?" I am trying to get my son interested in electronics and he expects the PS to have a good looking display (like his Android phone).

While it's not "stupid" (that is a rather overused term, to the point of having lost its meaning), I do think that if the type of screen on a power supply is more important than how the power supply works, you have either a) a lot of work ahead of you or, b) lost before you have started.

As a parent myself, I don't know how I plan on engaging my child should they show an interest in electronics, but my gut feeling is that it shouldn't involve showing them a side of electronics that is purely cosmetic. If they enjoy it, then it should be because they really like the electronics part of it all, the designing, troubleshooting and building "things".

Good luck to you, and I hope your child does find an interest, regardless how they are introduced to it!

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 11:05:04 pm »
Keithley 2280S-32-6 has a nice looking color display, unfortunately no touchscreen  8)

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 12:05:15 am »
So far, I have found that only the Owon ODP3032 has a nice looking color display. Are there any other power supplies with decent color diplays?

Before you say, "Who cares?" I am trying to get my son interested in electronics and he expects the PS to have a good looking display (like his Android phone). I know this may sound stupid, but, are there any other power supplies with decent color displays?

Dear god... If either of my sons had a requirement for 'good looking display' for something as mundane as a PS they'd get a swift kick up the arse. I'd be first in line for a bigger kick for being the enabler...

cheers,
george.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 12:14:34 am »

Dear god... If either of my sons had a requirement for 'good looking display' for something as mundane as a PS they'd get a swift kick up the arse. I'd be first in line for a bigger kick for being the enabler...

Yep. He's not going to watch cartoons in it, he's going to use it to set a voltage.

What are you going to do when the resistors aren't the right shade of brown or when he sees the multimeter has an LCD display instead of a TFT?

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 12:33:54 am »
Well,

if money is a no brainer ...

http://www.keysight.com/de/pd-1842303-pn-N6705B/dc-power-analyzer-modular-600-w-4-slots?nid=-35714.937221&cc=DE&lc=ger
I was thinking the slightly cheaper B296xA, but either way thats not an interface you want to use as a day to day power supply. Adding a color display just allows a more complicated user interface.

Better than a color display? Moving meters have always been "fun", a power supply with knobs that move meters is still an excellent teaching device.

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 12:35:18 am »
Alrighty ya bunch of dug in spoiled EEs. I am trying to get a 14 year old kid interested circa 2015, the age of the smart phone and tablet, that's all. I've already tried the obvious and failed - a flashing LED does nothing for him.

So, this is my last and best attempt at getting him off the 'puter and into something hard-core (i.e., hardware) by making it look like the gadgets he uses every day.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 12:48:46 am »
I've been building a power supply now for about 12 months, 0-24 volt 6 amp but have had to put it aside as I cant decide on which displays to use, quality takes time and I take longer.

You could look at these Panel Pilots as it seems they are very flexible and learning is involved, not very cheap though.

http://www.panelpilot.com/

Offline georges80

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 12:49:27 am »
Alrighty ya bunch of dug in spoiled EEs. I am trying to get a 14 year old kid interested circa 2015, the age of the smart phone and tablet, that's all. I've already tried the obvious and failed - a flashing LED does nothing for him.

So, this is my last and best attempt at getting him off the 'puter and into something hard-core (i.e., hardware) by making it look like the gadgets he uses every day.

Nah - I'd say your 14 yr old is the spoiled (or totally disinterested) one in this case... Sorry, but spending $$ to buy pretty displays is just feeding the problem you already have created.

I have a 16 yr old (and one older again) and that one is learning C using the K&R C book. If the interest is really there then your kid will want to know how things work and won't need a 'pretty' display as the driving force...

cheers,
george.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 01:01:53 am »
Perhaps it's best to let the kid pursue his natural interests, the way you have. :-//
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 01:02:26 am »

Flashing an LED is not a cool thing anymore :)

My experience from university science fairs tells me that kids these days love robots, the cool shiny ones, not the 1950's era pneumatic manipulator that I programmed with jumpers plugged in a switchboard when I was a student. Modern ones are not only flashing LEDs, but moving, sensing, making noises etc. Smartphone cannot beat that :)

Maybe get a LEGO Mindstorms kit and start from there. If your son will find this interesting and will want to build more custom things then you'll go back to proper electronics and programming with solder.

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 01:32:04 am »
Perhaps it's best to let the kid pursue his natural interests, the way you have. :-//

Video games, like all other kids these days?

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 02:37:25 am »

Have you considered the possibility that you can't force someone to be interested in something they're not, and that if they aren't interested in electronics a flashy PSU screen sure as hell isn't going to do it.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 03:04:06 am »

Video games, like all other kids these days?

Sure. Or do you think that'll be the only thing he ever likes for the rest of his life?
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 03:11:32 am »
@ SharpEars
This good looking enough:

http://www.siglentamerica.com/pdxx.aspx?id=1393&T=2&tid=17

Best option so far in terms of looks/features for the $ .

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 03:26:16 am »

Have you considered the possibility that you can't force someone to be interested in something they're not, and that if they aren't interested in electronics a flashy PSU screen sure as hell isn't going to do it.

Of course you can, it's just that 14 is not really too late but not early enough.
Gymanstics, Football, baseball, ballet. Two to three year olds don't exactly pick these themselves...they get picked for them. A practice I dissagree with , by the way.

You just have to make sure the horse always has water available, in case it decides to drink.
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 03:35:07 am »

Get him LabView Home for $50 and connect about 1000 possible GPIB, USB, or VXI power supplies to it. That will allow him to make his own UI in a PC environment and control an external network of devices.

In general, if he needs to have a slick display to be interested - he probably does not care about electronics that much.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2015, 03:38:33 am »
Never tell another how to bring up their kids unless you wish to loose them as a friend or want a scrap.  :box:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 03:52:31 am »
Never tell another how to bring up their kids unless you wish to loose them as a friend or want a scrap.  :box:

I didn't tell anyone how to bring up their kids.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2015, 05:06:52 am »
Maybe make one with an Arduino, they seem to be all the rage...  :-//

In general, if he needs to have a slick display to be interested - he probably does not care about electronics that much.
+1  :-\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf