Author Topic: How physically reliable are modern Rigol scopes?  (Read 7581 times)

Offline lpc32Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
How physically reliable are modern Rigol scopes?
« on: July 06, 2014, 09:37:05 pm »
I'm considering buying a Rigol scope from abroad to save 25% of the price. Are these things reliable enough to not need an effective warranty?

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Re: How physically reliable are modern Rigol scopes?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 10:20:56 pm »
It is much better to have a warranty. There have been many cases of encoder malfunctions. On the other hand, official distributors are said to have a good customer support.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:23:01 pm by Hydrawerk »
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 10:58:47 pm »
My original Rigol 1052E is still ticking after almost 6 years. And that's after being used as Sagan's toy oscilloscope!  :o

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 11:05:51 pm »
Sagan probably does not use it 8 hours a day.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 11:10:49 pm by Hydrawerk »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 11:07:54 pm »
Are you sure?
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Noise Floor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 11:10:42 pm »
I've had one in service for 4 years, no issues.  When I first got it there was a problem I don't even recall, my distributor replaced it and its been fine since then.  I move it around about once a month, buts it usually stationary. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 11:12:45 pm by Noise Floor »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 11:17:52 pm »
On the other hand, official distributors are said to have a good customer support.
So you think a distributor might handle it even if it was purchased somewhere else?

My original Rigol 1052E is still ticking after almost 6 years. And that's after being used as Sagan's toy oscilloscope!  :o
Ouch.

When I first got it there was a problem I don't even recall, my distributor replaced it and its been fine since then.
I'm not going to be able to check it before it ships. Sounds like nearby warranty might be, well, warranted.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 11:20:04 pm by lpc32 »

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 11:20:07 pm »
I've always found the most critical period for any gear is making it through the door in one piece and the first 10 hours on the bench. After that chances are that the blow ups are not warranty related.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 11:31:36 pm »
On the other hand, official distributors are said to have a good customer support.
So you think a distributor might handle it even if it was purchased somewhere else?
I am not sure.  :(

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 11:56:58 pm »

I wouldn't count on it.  A lot of times a warranty is only valid in the country you bought it from and the local dealer will not touch a grey import.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2014, 01:02:23 am »
I will happily provide any assistance for the Siglent's I have sold and for those I haven't I consider this a cost to my business and may direct them to the manufacturers "service" email.
Sounds harsh I know, but if the buyer has not given me his support, must I give him mine?
This is what your local guy might think if you need his services.

Failures are rare in my experience. Never had one with a Siglent here in NZ.

But you could find yourself without an English manual or software and the wrong power lead if you go the cheapest route.

If you want service, access to full product support, product selection advice and the product correct for your location ......... buy local.
Applies to any product or brand.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:17:45 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 01:11:56 am »
Doesn't sound harsh at all.  Your position is completely reasonable.  People (customers) can't have it both ways.   :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 01:18:28 am »
Sagan probably does not use it 8 hours a day.

It ain't the hours. He abuses it more than an entire class of first year EE students.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 01:55:14 am »
Doesn't sound harsh at all.  Your position is completely reasonable.  People (customers) can't have it both ways.   :)
From what I have seen with equipment made by Rigol and Siglent is that a local seller will match the price from Ebay if you take the shipping costs, VAT and custom's charges into account.

If I where a distributor I wouldn't turn away customers who didn't buy from me. I'd charge them for my services though. This business model worked for me in the past when I was selling PCs. People found my PCs too expensive but had me fix the cheap crap they bought later on. In the end I made more money  >:D
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 02:02:47 am »
From what I have seen with equipment made by Rigol and Siglent is that a local seller will match the price from Ebay if you take the shipping costs, VAT and custom's charges into account.

If I where a distributor I wouldn't turn away customers who didn't buy from me. I'd charge them for my services though. This business model worked for me in the past when I was selling PCs. People found my PCs too expensive but had me fix the cheap crap they bought later on. In the end I made more money  >:D
Nice, I'll take that onboard.  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 02:34:36 am »

Yes, you don't have to turn the customer away.  I was meaning that the local agent shouldn't support for free if they didn't sell it.  Of course there may also be some warranty agreement with the manufacturer where the dealer is an authorised repairer.

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 03:15:34 am »
A couple of folks had some heat sink retainer clip problems on the DS2072, I think Teneyes had to send his in to fix under warranty.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 03:20:23 am »
A couple of folks had some heat sink retainer clip problems on the DS2072, I think Teneyes had to send his in to fix under warranty.

Yes, for some reason the clip retainers where not properly soldered, but seems it was not a common problem, I always look through the vent grid when I move my scope around to make sure they are still in place :)

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2014, 06:18:42 am »
Buy your test equipment from the company that answers the phone and gives you quick, intelligent answers to your questions.  Warranties and support really are worth paying for sometimes.  I was seriously considering a heap of  Rigol, gear but went with Agilent due to the consistently fantastic tech support.  The actual end cost of the scopes was actually similar by going through Agilet's ebay refurb center.

I'm not saying you have to buy Agilent, but just do the exercise to see what happens when you need help.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2014, 09:28:08 am »
I will happily provide any assistance for the Siglent's I have sold and for those I haven't I consider this a cost to my business and may direct them to the manufacturers "service" email.
Sounds harsh I know, but if the buyer has not given me his support, must I give him mine?

While this is understandable, this attitude is also very shortsighted. A good business person would see this as a chance to gain a new customer and to market their own services. This doesn't mean it would be free. But for example, you could offer to do the repair at low rate labor costs only (Siglent should provide you with spare parts for free if the device is still under warranty, no matter where it has been bought). If the device owner's other option is to ship the device back to China this could be a very attractive proposal. It would also demonstrate the level of service you can provide, and might convince the device owner to become a new customer.

On the other side, all you achieve by pointing the device owner to the manufacturer's service email is to make sure he won't bother you again.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2014, 10:42:41 am »
I didn't expect a local distributor to handle warranties for products bought elsewhere. I was trying to interpret what Hydra meant. But while it's not necessarily common, there are cases of international warranty, or of importers/distributors/manufacturers that are unofficially easy going. Another option is a small payment for service, where the manufacturer anyway honors replacement or parts.

But that's not what I want to count on. I was wondering if I wouldn't need a warranty at all, but it seems like this isn't the case. I just hope there's no error in the figures I've been quoted, because with the other local importer it is +40% to the price.

Speaking of unofficial service, one such cool case was years ago when I bought abroad, by proxy, a graphics card. Turned out it was PCI and not AGP. The local importer was willing to replace it for free, I just mailed them the card.

LabSpokane: I don't foresee ever calling the store or asking questions. That's what the internet is for. :)

It ain't the hours. He abuses it more than an entire class of first year EE students.
The kids of today... Think what you could do if you had a scope at his age. :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 10:47:53 am by lpc32 »

Offline xenocide702

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2014, 01:04:48 pm »
I've been using an 1102d  at work for around 2 years and several of the encoders have just started acting up  :-- We bought through Rigol directly, so  I guess I'll see how good their customer service is.

FWIW, I have had a 1052e at home for ~3 years and it's still fine. It arguably sees more use than the one at work too  :-//

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 08:08:45 pm »
Agilent DSOX2000 has easier firmware update process. And you can download the firmware without any registration or any problem.
But yes, it is hard to beat the Rigol DS2000's huge 56 MB memory.

Offline hlokk

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 02:25:44 am »
Out of interest, what country are you in?

Just bought my first scope yesterday :D (A rigol too)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf