Author Topic: New Keysight DC Power supply announced!  (Read 8589 times)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: New Keysight DC Power supply announced!
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2022, 09:29:20 am »
Please stop polluting threads! That song is getting old.

Is this link spamming is happening on other Keysight threads?

Where someone suggests that individuals may be interested in a product but the company does not support individuals, I think a single warning is appropriate. That's similar to warning people not to use float scopes every time someone suggests doing that.

N.B. as someone that was very appreciative of HP support policies, and who worked happily for HP for 13 years and loves HP kit, the Keysight attitude pains me. I think it deserves to be mentioned when appropriate.
The thing is that only a few people have reported this who all seem to be in the UK while others (like me) have no trouble at all getting support from Keysight. You have to keep in mind that this could be single incidents related to people's attitude and/or the question being asked. And even if Keysight doesn't give direct support, you can always get in touch with the dealer that sold you the equipment. IMHO there is a lot of parroting from some very vocal people and very little substance. No need to pollute other threads with stories that could even be classified as 'fake news'.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 09:31:58 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2022, 10:46:47 am »

Where someone suggests that individuals may be interested in a product but the company does not support individuals, I think a single warning is appropriate. That's similar to warning people not to use float scopes every time someone suggests doing that.

N.B. as someone that was very appreciative of HP support policies, and who worked happily for HP for 13 years and loves HP kit, the Keysight attitude pains me. I think it deserves to be mentioned when appropriate.
The thing is that only a few people have reported this who all seem to be in the UK while others (like me) have no trouble at all getting support from Keysight. You have to keep in mind that this could be single incidents related to people's attitude and/or the question being asked. And even if Keysight doesn't give direct support, you can always get in touch with the dealer that sold you the equipment. IMHO there is a lot of parroting from some very vocal people and very little substance. No need to pollute other threads with stories that could even be classified as 'fake news'.

"Pollute" is a provocative and emotional term, which is designed to shut down exchanging views and informing people. I prefer less belligerent terms whereever possible.

There is no known reason precluding Keysight extending their policy to other countries. If, OTOH, they become forthcoming about why they (abruptly and without warning) changed their policy, then I will be delighted to change my opinion.

Absent that, our opinions will differ.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2022, 07:02:05 pm »
Curved V/I limit curve (with same max power) suggests hybrid topology, i.e. switching pre-regulator plus linear output stage like R&S HMP series and similar PSUs.
No it doesn't. Switchers also do constant power trick. 80 A PSU is not going to be linear, and noise proves it..
I agree. It is nice to see though that Keysight brings this old concept back to life. In the HP days they used to have a whole bunch of these kind of supplies that have a power limit. It makes a PSU much more versatile. I have a pair of HP6012As which are excellent for when a lot of current or high voltage is needed (and the power limit is kind of a conservative estimate). Still, I would like some more modern metering though.
This looks like a very close competitor to the Aim TTI QPX750SP, continuing their range of "powerflex" supplies. Pricing will be key as always.
Yes and no. For the Aim TTI PSUs it seems you need to use PC software for the more advanced functions while the Keysight PSUs allow to do all the programming on the PSU itself. Personally I'm a great fan of test equipment that can be used to the fullest extend without needing PC software. Recently I needed some voltage sequencing and that is easy enough to configure on the Keysight E3631x series PSU.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2022, 06:02:01 am »

"Pollute" is a provocative and emotional term, which is designed to shut down exchanging views and informing people. I prefer less belligerent terms whereever possible.
There is no known reason precluding Keysight extending their policy to other countries. If, OTOH, they become forthcoming about why they (abruptly and without warning) changed their policy, then I will be delighted to change my opinion.

At some point such a spamming of every thead on a manufactuer you had a gripe with would be "polluting" and goes beyond what most would consider reasonable forum ettique. Especially when it doesn't apply to everyone.

The following users thanked this post: eplpwr

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2022, 07:26:12 am »

At some point such a spamming of every thead on a manufactuer you had a gripe with would be "polluting" and goes beyond what most would consider reasonable forum ettique. Especially when it doesn't apply to everyone.

Agreed. But I don't see it on every thread, only on occasional threads where amateurs are directed towards new Keysight equipment.

The difficulty is the whole thing is a big grey area.

Other examples:
  • the maxim "friends don't let friends use Maxim". Very difficult to provide an unassailable justification for that one, nonetheless experienced engineers repeat it!
  • "never float a scope", which is sometimes written in large unfriendly red letters
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 07:29:15 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2022, 07:37:40 am »

Some, and for the unwary of KS current policies readers have a right to know how they might be received should they need to contact HQ, shouldn't they ?
Dave, Call Ian at Trio and get it from the horses mouth. Daniel from KS was at one time quite active here but has seemed to have pulled back since the changes in HQ policy and the changes are real if you were to take some time to properly research it as they have deemed their products only suited for professional use.
With reduced HQ support and statements like only for pro use it's only fair for forum members to warn others they might not get the support that KS historically gave.
Don't shoot the messenger.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: Towger

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2022, 08:02:35 am »
The Keysight (Australia) Terms of Sale document from their ebay store basically says "When you buy from us you agree that you are not using the equipment for personal, domestic, or household use.  If you are using our equipment for those uses, we cancel any software licenses and void the warranty".  Support isn't mentioned, but the implication is obvious.  The same section is present in documents from other countries including the U.S. and Canada. 

https://www.keysight.com/au/en/assets/ndx/9018-60025/exhibits/9018-60025.pdf  See section 7(j) on the third page.

One reason that it seems to be getting mentioned alot is that it's new and bizarre.  Once everyone knows not to try to buy from Keysight, there won't be any need to mention it anymore.

Ed

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2022, 11:15:38 am »
Dave, Call Ian at Trio and get it from the horses mouth. Daniel from KS was at one time quite active here but has seemed to have pulled back since the changes in HQ policy and the changes are real if you were to take some time to properly research it as they have deemed their products only suited for professional use.
With reduced HQ support and statements like only for pro use it's only fair for forum members to warn others they might not get the support that KS historically gave.
Don't shoot the messenger.

The Ebay Keysight store doesn't have anything for sale anymore either -

https://www.ebay.com/str/keysight

In another thread where this was being discussed I told the posters I'd directly ask the people who run the Ebay Keysight store whether they can sell the used equipment to hobbyists. I sent them a message on Ebay. They didn't say "yes sure we love to sell to hobbyists what can we help you with! They referred me to the terms of sale which says the products aren't suited for home hobbyist use. They want nothing to do with hobbyists anymore.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2022, 04:22:11 pm »
In another thread where this was being discussed I told the posters I'd directly ask the people who run the Ebay Keysight store whether they can sell the used equipment to hobbyists. I sent them a message on Ebay. They didn't say "yes sure we love to sell to hobbyists what can we help you with! They referred me to the terms of sale which says the products aren't suited for home hobbyist use. They want nothing to do with hobbyists anymore.

I don't know if this really should be discussed in this thread. Still, I don't think this language is uncommon ("we only sell to business customers", "only suitable for professional use", etc). But many companies seem to have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy in practice. Basically, as long you don't explicitly state that you are buying for personal use or ask for clarification like you did, they just ignore it.

This is clearly about consumer protection laws (return policy, warranty, dispute resolution, but also additional safety or EMC regulations that may apply).

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2022, 04:56:33 pm »
Daniel from KS was at one time quite active here but has seemed to have pulled back since the changes in HQ policy
There had no been an official Keysight policy about Daniel's participation. As far as i remember he was "allowed" to do it at his discretion.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2022, 07:22:10 pm »
Daniel from KS was at one time quite active here but has seemed to have pulled back since the changes in HQ policy
There had no been an official Keysight policy about Daniel's participation. As far as i remember he was "allowed" to do it at his discretion.
Yes of course and he still pops into threads to help/guide occasionally.

However as mentioned in another thread today it's almost laughable that KS still remains a major forum advertiser here in a forum full of hobbyists whom they clearly state they are not interested dealing with.  :-//

Maybe their advertising revenue is just too fruitful for Dave to join the protest and push back denying them advertising here !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, salvagedcircuitry

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2022, 08:03:15 pm »
I think Keysight needs to formally explain and clarify their policy. Otherwise that steaming turd will continue to stink up the forum.
Saying it's "legal" doesn't cut it. They make specific educational market goods to be used by students, sell to the school - yet won't sell to hobbyists/sole proprietors/students?

The only explanation I can come up with is Keysight attempting to close backdoor sales to hostile countries, after the $6.6M fine for export violations selling test equipment (radar analysis software) to the commies.

OK you now want total control of your sales channels, but the mob will always find ways around that. IDK if there's more paperwork and traceability.
This new DC power supply family can't really be an instrument of war, nor a bench multimeter - so why else discriminate against the small fish?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2022, 08:14:13 pm »
I think Keysight needs to formally explain and clarify their policy. Otherwise that steaming turd will continue to stink up the forum.
Saying it's "legal" doesn't cut it. They make specific educational market goods to be used by students, sell to the school - yet won't sell to hobbyists/sole proprietors/students?
Yep, double standards that stuff and it would seem they have no shame when every TE manufacturer and seller for that matter too wants class set sales to have as many students as possible sat in front of their instruments to hopefully become part of their 'user family' yet if they were not to graduate or were just in a holidays class, not being a professional excludes them from HQ support.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline armandine2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2022, 09:29:43 pm »
I don't underestimate a user family and support yet, as a hobbyist, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket with regard to equipment manufacturers.

I'm in a function gen, an insulation tester/dmm, and another dmm with Keysight and that seems about the right amount for me.
In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught - Hunter S Thompson

Offline switchabl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2022, 09:45:38 pm »
The only explanation I can come up with is Keysight attempting to close backdoor sales to hostile countries, after the $6.6M fine for export violations selling test equipment (radar analysis software) to the commies.

That's very interesting. I think at a minimum they will have conducted a full review of their sales channels. Quite possible that this made the legal department realize that they were potentially selling directly to consumers and they went "wait, what, are you !@#$% mad, you can't do that".

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2022, 10:55:44 pm »
I don't know if this really should be discussed in this thread. Still, I don't think this language is uncommon ("we only sell to business customers", "only suitable for professional use", etc). But many companies seem to have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy in practice. Basically, as long you don't explicitly state that you are buying for personal use or ask for clarification like you did, they just ignore it.

This is clearly about consumer protection laws (return policy, warranty, dispute resolution, but also additional safety or EMC regulations that may apply).
Which gets even sillier when for instance the Australian consumer protection laws apply to both consumer and (many) B2B transactions, and the protections cannot be disclaimed away in any sales contract (law overrides contract terms).

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2022, 02:58:30 am »
Can we take this discussion to the thread dedicated to it please.
I will delete any further comments on this in this thread.

The following users thanked this post: mkissin, Fgrir

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2022, 03:31:58 am »
Can we take this discussion to the thread dedicated to it please.
I will delete any further comments on this in this thread.
Dave if you would please, by all means drag my posts on this matter into a thread of your choice to be placed in chronological order.
It’s very likely other members might like for you to do this also as it’s much easier for you to do so with your Admin powers/tools.
TIA.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: floobydust, switchabl

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf