Author Topic: Pocket Multimeter Shootout  (Read 45316 times)

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Pocket Multimeter Shootout
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2017, 02:20:06 pm »
Just curious, what is this element?

Excuse the lack of knowledge. :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 02:22:23 pm by kalel »

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2017, 03:04:40 pm »
Could be a gas discharge element

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline noidea

• Supporter
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2017, 03:10:19 pm »
Yes it is the GDT the GAP on the silkscreen is typically Japanese terminology for them.
If you follow the trace on the underside of the PCB it joins the common terminal to the PTC connected to the + terminal

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor

Offline Rbastler

• Frequent Contributor
  • Wörk Wörk
    • Rbastlers Blog
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2017, 04:51:50 pm »
Looks more like a Fluke 101. So it doesnt fit in the scheme of a shirt dmm. Too big.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

http://rbastlerblog.jimdo.com/
Gamma spectrometer works. Now some yellow crystals need regenerating and testing.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2017, 05:17:20 pm »
Have we got one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-Multimeter-Pocket-Mini-Auto-Ranging-Digital-Multimeter-Tester-Portable-/222504694302?var=&hash=item33ce50321e:m:m7rXOuLilgpE3T5tE8ivYow
That's a horribly photoshopped image, I'm pretty sure it's much smaller. The ZT102 is the original OEM's name for the AN8002, which has been discussed here ad infinitum on other threads, together with its sibling models.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2017, 05:53:43 pm »
Looks like the same person also owns one of these:

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2017, 06:19:42 pm »

Yeah, with all the meters that guy had for his shirt pocket, he can only AFFORD, one SHIRT!

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2017, 06:23:58 pm »
That's a horribly photoshopped image, I'm pretty sure it's much smaller.

Nah, I'm sure that photo is just showing a person with very small hands and a small shirt pocket.  ::)
(Who is living in a world of even illumination and no shadows...)

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2017, 06:37:58 pm »

Yeah, with all the meters that guy had for his shirt pocket, he can only AFFORD, one SHIRT!

The Zotek meter and the shirt colors match perfectly,

I'm betting there's a lady involved in the photo shoot   :-*   

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 06:42:44 pm by Electro Detective »

Offline dos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2017, 06:56:14 pm »
That Sanwa meter looks great and I'd like to see it in the review (perhaps with a "full disclosure" statement). If you'll definitely be selling unbranded ones I will probably get in line to buy one.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2017, 07:33:53 pm »
I just got this Sanwa PM300 pocket meter:

But I was looking at potentially reselling this one (initially without EEVblog branding), and have a quote and permission to resell it.

Now, that potentially puts me into a vested interest position if I include this in the shootout.

What do people think, will people trust my openness in a shootout in which I sell one of the meters? (of course I'll be upfront about it)

I certainly would like to know how it performs, with the appropriate disclaimers/disclosures.

Of course, if it wins hands down due to all the extra cost put into it, then also identifying the second best, best bang-for-the-buck, or similar, would be beneficial in general as well as for those who may dismiss the Sanwa solely due to the commercial ties.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline dos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2017, 09:19:57 pm »
Are Sanwa anything like what they used to be? I seem to remember them having a very good reputation for analog multimeters back in the day, but I was a kid back then and haven't heard anything since (haven't looked though). Do they still do their designs in house or is it just something by a Chinese firm with a famous name on it? Just about every product I have that's actually designed and made in Japan has really impressed me, from my Toyota to the Sony PVM on my desk. Never had a Japanese piece of electronic test equipment though, for whatever reason they don't really seem to have penetrated that market in the west at the lower end consumer/hobbyist levels, apart from Hakko of course, but soldering irons are kind of a different beast.

EDIT: Some googling brought me to this model which looks like a higher end version of that PM300: http://www.sanwa-meter.co.jp/prg_data/goods/img/PH61491811555.pdf

EDIT2: Disregard that, it's actually a larger meter with permanently attached leads, not pocket size. Why you would do that on a full size device is mystifying.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 09:26:39 pm by dos »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2017, 09:24:23 pm »
Could be a gas discharge element

Yes, it's a GDT, Gas Discharge Tube. Common to label them "GAP", as in a spark gap because that's basically what it is.
Basically the equivalent to a MOV. Companies like Gossen prefer them over MOV's.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2017, 09:27:01 pm »
That Sanwa meter looks great and I'd like to see it in the review (perhaps with a "full disclosure" statement). If you'll definitely be selling unbranded ones I will probably get in line to buy one.

Pretty sure I will, because you simply can't buy it anywhere except Japan.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2017, 09:28:31 pm »
Are Sanwa anything like what they used to be? I seem to remember them having a very good reputation for analog multimeters back in the day, but I was a kid back then and haven't heard anything since (haven't looked though). Do they still do their designs in house or is it just something by a Chinese firm with a famous name on it? Just about every product I have that's actually designed and made in Japan has really impressed me, from my Toyota to the Sony PVM on my desk. Never had a Japanese piece of electronic test equipment though, for whatever reason they don't really seem to have penetrated that market in the west at the lower end consumer/hobbyist levels, apart from Hakko of course, but soldering irons are kind of a different beast.

Curiously this one is made in China!
But I'm sure it's 100% designed and certified by Sanwa.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #116 on: August 14, 2017, 09:38:06 pm »
OPINION NEEDED:

Opinions please...

Definitely include it..  I have no problem with that.. You stated it openly and I don't think you will be unfair...

As far as fanboy bias goes, neither you or I are responsible for that  :-DD !

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #117 on: August 14, 2017, 11:32:36 pm »
Gents, would two of these pocket meters fit/cram into a shirt pocket ?

Assuming a real shirt pocket, not todays straightjacket 'fitted' rag fashions   :--

Would be nice to cart around a shirt pocket sized lab, if one of the two meters can do 'current'   :clap:

Offline Geoff_S

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2017, 05:39:52 am »
I guess the Sanwa PM33a "Hybrid pocket size DMM" might be a bit too big, despite the name ??

Offline JimmyJo

• Contributor
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2017, 10:44:32 am »
What about the Kew mate 2000 series? http://www.kew-ltd.co.jp/en/products/detail/00922/

Offline noidea

• Supporter
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2017, 11:59:03 am »
What about the Kew mate 2000 series? http://www.kew-ltd.co.jp/en/products/detail/00922/
Haha, I suggested the true RMS version of this on the previous page!
Strangely enough the true RMS version is cheaper than the non RMS version, in Australia anyway.

Dave I hope you give consideration to the potential longevity of the test leads in your review. I used to know a few techs with the Kew mate mini clamps and they all used to break the leads just out of the strain relief, from being wound and unwound all the time.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 03:42:03 pm by noidea »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2017, 04:05:38 pm »

Stop the presses...

We have a winner in the "no holds barred" category! :popcorn:

(it even has a bar graph from the looks of that)

Edit: $200+ USD. Ouch!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:45:02 pm by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2017, 05:47:53 am »
I've just ordered stock of the Sanwa PM300 and will be selling it.
Not because it's the best pocket meter (that's a "depends" thing), but because I really like it, it's premium quality, and not available practically anywhere else. Exactly the type of product I'm looking to resell.
Sanwa branded to start with, but the internal white border around the screen with the Sanwa name can just be removed if you open it up, so might get some custom window frame made to go with it.

Offline dos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2017, 06:06:29 am »
I've just ordered stock of the Sanwa PM300 and will be selling it.
Not because it's the best pocket meter (that's a "depends" thing), but because I really like it, it's premium quality, and not available practically anywhere else. Exactly the type of product I'm looking to resell.
Sanwa branded to start with, but the internal white border around the screen with the Sanwa name can just be removed if you open it up, so might get some custom window frame made to go with it.

Rad, can you mention a (rough) price yet?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2017, 09:03:17 am »
I don't know, Dave... Suddenly this whole pocket meter shootout looks like just a nicely orchestrated marketing gig to get attention for your new Sanwa meter.

Thank you for being open about your commercial interest; that helps to keep things above-board. But personally I'm losing interest in the shootout video under these circumstances.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf