Author Topic: Fluke Scopemeter 105 Series 2 will not run on batteries - help  (Read 3854 times)

Offline gordo51Topic starter

• Contributor
Fluke Scopemeter 105 Series 2 will not run on batteries - help
« on: January 28, 2014, 03:10:05 am »
I have been watching the videos here for a long time but it never occured to me that I should also check out the forum for information or help.  So here I am wondering if anyone could give me ideas to fix my Fluke 105 scopemeter.  The unit works fine on the adapter but will not run from batteries which kind or defeats the purpose of having it.  I installed fully charge NiMH C cells with no luck.  The NiCd pack seems charged according to my multimeter.  So, is there a common failure mode for this sort of thing? There was some corrosion on the battery terminals but I cleaned that up. I opened it up but did not see anything the looked suspicous. All the wiring from the battery terminals looks intact. Any help would be appreciated.
Gordon

Offline Galaxyrise

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Fluke Scopemeter 105 Series 2 will not run on batteries - help
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 03:52:49 am »
I can't make comments on that circuit specifically, but you should be in pretty good shape since you can probe it both in the working and failed condition.  Presumably either the batteries aren't charging or something between the batteries and the voltage regulators is out.  Do you have another DMM to probe it with?
I am but an egg

Offline gordo51Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 06:13:43 am »
Yes, I have plenty of equipment.  Have not had the time to dig into it.  I was just wondering there might be a micro fuse or some other protection feature that might have gone off and someone knew about this. Batteries are definitely charged.  I guess I will hook up a power supply to the battery terminals and see if that makes any difference and if not I will trace where the power is going and stopping.

Offline emptech

• Regular Contributor
    • Empirical Technology
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 06:01:08 am »
At first glance the battery compartment looks like any other battery compartment, made up for a
special high priced C cell battery pack.  One difference, since it took a "special" battery, there was
a "special" contact on the battery pack.  Looking at the rear of the battery compartment, you see
four spring type battery contacts, one on each corner.  Under the lower left spring contact is a flat
contact.  I took some AA 2400 mah cells, wrapped them in cardboard and put them in the battery
well.  In order to make it work, I had to add a jumper wire from the flat contact on the bottom to
the spring contact immediately above.

The only problem I've ever had, since I'm using cardboard rolled up, is intermittent battery contacts.

If I had the time, I'd machine some plastic spacer tubes to adapt to the c cell size.  I think you can
buy them somewhere.

Let me know if this helps, it worked for me.  Do you need a photo?

Jim
"What this country needs is less people telling us what this country needs"

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 07:36:16 am »
If I had the time, I'd machine some plastic spacer tubes to adapt to the c cell size.  I think you can
buy them somewhere.
Yes, lots on ebay.  Here is an example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380816994967

I have used AAA to AA and AA to D with no problems.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf