Author Topic: PeakTech 3440 - Should i buy this?  (Read 18115 times)

Offline ErdnussTopic starter

• My Homepage
PeakTech 3440 - Should i buy this?
« on: April 13, 2015, 09:59:06 pm »

I found this for 184€ ... which looks like a good deal?

Has anyone got their hands on it?
Michael Schmid
www.michael-schmid.at
office@michael-schmid.at

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
Re: PeakTech 3440 - Should i buy this?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 10:10:52 pm »
What is it?

Offline Matje

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 11:06:54 pm »

I found this for 184€ ... which looks like a good deal?

Has anyone got their hands on it?

Hmm, it's not available yet, so nobody knows what's really inside of it.

It has 50000 counts and (at best) 0.05% tolerance for DCV, 0.2% for DCA, which is not *that* good.

Whether it actually meets the claimed security (CatIV/1000V and CatIII/600V) is anyones guess (it is a bit small mechanically...), the manual at least talks about ceramic fuses, but the term HRC doesn't appear in it. The manual claims it is waterproof, hmm.

That kind-of-graphical user interface is a gimmick, IMHO, remains to be seen if it's worth anything. The interface to a PC or so is Bluetooth only, ehhh. Everything is better with Bluetooth, sure, but a DMM, I'm not certain.

I would wait until there are some teardowns/reviews available.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 11:50:38 pm »
Pretty certain the PeakTech 3440 is a rebadged CEM DT-988, or something similar. CEM isn't exactly known for their quality devices.
PeakTech:

CEM:
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 05:34:22 pm »
Also sold as Southwire 15190T in America http://www.southwiretools.com/tools/tools/15190T

PeakTech 3440 and Southwire 15190T looks identical.

CEM DT-987/988/989 looks almost identical except for different functions buttons: http://www.cem-instruments.com/en/pro/nsort13-1.html

Offline pxl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 05:54:02 pm »
Also sold as Southwire 15190T in America http://www.southwiretools.com/tools/tools/15190T

Wow, it looks like it was designed for The Flintstones. Hilarious!

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 09:16:39 pm »
Peaktech are ONLY rebranded items. No added value, nothing more than different colors at a higher price.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 09:40:19 pm »
Who needs that color LCD. It only eats batteries quickly. OK, there is a 7.4 V-Li-Ion Battery, but anyway.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 09:58:05 am »
Since there's little information to find about this instrument on the web and I recently acquired one as part of a "package", I decided to follow Dave's prime directive to take it apart instead of turning it on  ;)

The PCB is labeled DT-989 so it obviously is a CEM as reported before. Yet, since I wasn't expecting anything stellar, I was quite surprised by the amount of detail put into the instrument. The fuses are proper HRC SIBA ones, there are isolation slots in several places in the PCB and as it seems, the manufacturer went through some effort to put several varistors and PTCs in the frontend (not visible directly in the photos, they are located on the other side and somewhat visible through the isolation slots). The main components are the HYCONTECH HY3131 front end together with a ISL21107CFZ12 reference (not too shabby, rated 5PPM/°C -- should do the job for a 50k count instrument). I'm really amazed the manufacturer decided to use a "proper" Caddock divider network! The controller is a Texas TIVA C Series TM4C123GH6PZ low power ARM Cortex M processor, accompanied by a soldered-on bluetooth module for connectivity.

The instrument comes with a recent (signed two months ago) test report by a PekTech Technician that appears to be authentic. Anyway, finally I had to turn it on... A cross-check with my Rigol DM3068 shows the measurements to match up to a maximum difference of two or three least significant digits (of the 3440 that is  ;) ). The measurement update rate of the instrument is pretty fast at round about five readings per second in the voltage/current/resistance ranges. Auto-ranging could be a tad faster, especially in capacitance mode it's quite slow. Yet, measurements appear to be spot-on compared to my AT826 LCR meter. Continuity is a little bit awkward: Usually, it's reasonably fast (latched) but sometimes there seems to be a noticable delay, especially if there are several consecutive shorts of the probes. It appears that the display update interferes with the evaluation of the input signal. Maybe a firmware update (if there will be made one available at all) could solve this.

The logging and graphing function is quite nice and works well and is easy to access. As yet, I didn't test the connectivity. As a bonus, a USB/Bluetooth dongle was included in the package in order to be able to establish a connection to a computer that isn't equipped with an internal BT device. The menu structure could be a little more elaborate, designations of the menus are sometimes misleading. One thing that is quitre annoying is that the cancel/close key always leaves the menu completely and reverts back to measuring mode instead of stepping back one menu level. This makes changing several menu items quite a hassle. The main selector switch is very "snappy" and requires quite some torque to turn. I would have wished it was a little bit bigger in diameter. Yet, as it is, it's virtually impossible to place it between the detents unintentionally. It definitely feels solid.

"Outing" myself as a color TFT afficionado, I've got to say the display is really nice. Even though the resolution is only 320x240, due to its compact size, it looks always crisp and detailed. Especially the modes with several values to be displayed (actual reading plus min/max/average for example) are very comfortably legible compared to a seven-segment arrangement. There are three fonts to choose from which can be considered more or less a "gimmick".

I like the small form factor of the instrument and the thick "rubberization" of the casing. It appears very sturdy, yet the areas that are not rubber-coated appear a little "cheap". The enclosure of the instrument is not sealed so it's not recommendable to use the instrument in moist environments. If I would trust the CAT ratings printed on the instrument is another question, sure it appears to be better designed and built than the "usual suspects" but it's still some way apart from a recent Fluke or most other "A-brand" meters. I won't hesitate to use it on household electrical installations though -- and that's the worst thing it will see energy-wise in my hands anyway -- mostly it will be used for electronics stuff, so I guess I'll be fine with it. Altogether, so far I'ld say the instrument is worth what I've paid for it  :).

I hope this short report may be useful to others to make a decision if they consider to buy this meter.

Cheers,
Thomas

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, mcinque, Muttley Snickers, lem_ix, JOSM

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 10:45:37 am »
This particular meter was mentioned in another thread a few years ago and it didn't get much love due to its appearance and terrible battery life, sorry I cannot post a link to the thread from this device but if you search the forum for DT-988 it should turn up.

To me the Southwire branded one pictured earlier resembles a turd but your one with the blue and white colour scheme is a smart looking meter in my view. As you can see the CEM products in the past have generally been regarded as mediocre at best and for good reason but your well documented and favourable review could indicate that they are taking notice and cleaning up their act, a nicely done review buy the way.

Offline Awap

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 01:34:32 pm »
My windows 10 software solution and pro's and con can be found here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/software-problem-solved/

Offline Rubi

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 11:44:43 am »
There is a recent review of this multimeter by mikeselectricstuff

I was interested due to the bluetooth logging interface, but the implementation is horrible, the worst pc interface implementation I found so far.

Cheers
Rubi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf