Author Topic: HP 54645D ROM  (Read 323 times)

Offline apex_sealsTopic starter

• RF Engineer
HP 54645D ROM
« on: January 26, 2024, 04:57:15 am »
I just acquired an HP 54645D on Ebay for $100. It was in nice shape when it showed up, if you count being coated in nicotine and fuzz inside and out as being in "nice shape"  :palm:

So after a disassembly, scrub, cleaning the pots, and a full calibration, she's off and humming with the RS232/FFT/parallel module attached on the rear from my 54600B that I'm now getting rid of. I even made a set of digital probe cables for it from a cheaper set (dedicated post incoming with instructions).

Last thing to do is to upgrade the ROM. I found on this thread (post #5) that HP released a final firmware (~2003?) that "enabled all the features". https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/the-first-megazoom-asic-agilent-dso!/

Two questions:

1. Features?
2. Anybody have a copy of the ROM?

I can't seem to find the ROM anywhere. I have version A.02.08 currently, with the bug game and the badger "credits" screen.

Thanks

Offline apex_sealsTopic starter

• RF Engineer
Re: HP 54645D ROM
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2024, 05:02:01 am »
Here's that post #5 I mentioned before. Hopefully this gives free_electron a ping:

This would already be a second generation megazoom.
The 622 is a second generation run. the first generation machines did not have a floppy drive and used the old style knob on the front.
Those were the 54645D and 645A.

I have two 645D's around at home. they are compact , light , lightning fast to boot up ( like 2 seconds ) and do 2 analog + 16 digitals.
I even have one at work. people laugh at the old thing , but when the sh.. hits the fan and they cant figure it out with their million dollar logic analyser and half a million dollar scopes this little puppy shows the problem in no time. plus they have GAMES !
hit the utilty menu and look at the softkeys at the bottom of the screen. two or three are blank. push those simultaneously in various combinations.
one has the badger screen ( lissajous created badger with the names of the scope designers ) other key combinations run either arkanoids or tetris depending on scope firmware version.

If you updated to the latest version available you will get a message that says : 'We are sorry but this firmware is so large due to all options we enabled that we had to remove the game.' when the scope went obsolete they released a special firmware version that enabled all features without needing the add-on packs.

They are very usefull machines.
Mine are bit in disuse now since i got the 54832D ( the infinium version of the MSO ) and the 7104. But if i need a quick test outside my lab setup or troubleshoot something on the side and don't feel like booting the 832 or unwire the 7104 i still grab one of the 645D's.

No way in hell am i letting those go. they are reliable, compact , light , fast and get the job done. sure there's no packet decoders etc ( the second generation 6xxD actually does have I2C SPI and some others. but to look at some digital stuff in combination with some analog ? perfect !
i have the advanced measurement modules for them as wel ( expanded memory + FFT + GPIB )

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf